Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 01:00 PM

14,860 posts, read 43,010,921 times

Advertisements

Well, we finally did it. We had been telling the youngest (10 years old) that the next dog was hers. She had to wait till we were down to 1 dog which we were back the first of June (lost our 17 yo Lhasa ). The 3 yo Chihuahua mix (which has been a GREAT dog and LOOOOOOOVES kids) was mourning and starting to pick up a bit and back to her old self playing. Been looking at puppies and finally found a Puggle (Pug dad and Beagle mom) - no papers (who cares) and free (all of our dogs have been free or rescue dogs and been the best ones ever). He is 4 months old and she named him Cooper. Been one night now and he did fine but the other dog barked like crazy every time she heard him make a wimper all night long. He slept more than she did (and us). He has been really good so far with a good temperment and all.

The ONLY problem has been his bowel movements - EWWWWW!!!! I'm used to new puppies or dogs period getting their diets changed and it taking some time to get them regular and back to "solid" again. But is there ANYTHING that can help the poor guy? I'm taking him to the vet later today for his shots. Wondering if a little Pepto might help? For having been an outside dog and now being inside he has done pretty good w/ the bathroom thing and going outside (but that takes consistency from us humans to make it work ). Anyway, has anyone tried something that helped w/ their tummies and diets?

And if anyone is in the Northeast Texas area, the people had more of them they are getting rid of. DM me and I'll give you their number. I'd really like to see these lil ones all get a good home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,947,796 times
Please post a pic when you get a chance? Pups are sooooo cute! Puppy breath is to die for!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,512,551 times
Definitely talk to your vet and see what he says, but here's one home remedy that has worked for me. On occasion, when my beagle had gotten a sick tummy, I was told to give him plain boiled rice and chicken. Then, as he becomes more regular, start mixing the rice and chicken in with his usual kibble, gradually reducing the amount of rice and chicken until you're giving him straight kibble.

Like bibit says, please post pictures when you can!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,530,570 times
LOL...hey Deb! Funny meeting you here!
I bred and raised Goldens for years.....In a pinch, cottage cheese will help loose stools tremendously. For a steady diet...until the stomach settles some, the boiled chicken and rice will work well. Love the name Cooper! And I too am looking forward to pics!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,497,461 times
hey momof2! glad to see you're a dog lover! get some of that puppy breath for me!

do post pictures soon!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM

342 posts, read 1,836,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Definitely talk to your vet and see what he says, but here's one home remedy that has worked for me. On occasion, when my beagle had gotten a sick tummy, I was told to give him plain boiled rice and chicken. Then, as he becomes more regular, start mixing the rice and chicken in with his usual kibble, gradually reducing the amount of rice and chicken until you're giving him straight kibble.

Like bibit says, please post pictures when you can!
My pup had a recent bout of the runs (otherwise active and playful, so just tummy upset), and that's exactly what I did. Fast the puppy (3 mo) for ~8 hours (overnight is easiest) to calm the stomach. Then, until the diarrhea clears, switch to a bland diet of chicken and rice. Boil 2 cups of rice with 1 chicken breast (cut up into bite size pieces). I cooked it into a gruel/porridge consistency. The chicken flavors the rice, and my pup LOVED it and ate it up.

Keep an eye on the pup's water intake. Mine wasn't drinking too much water, so I increased the water content of her chicken and rice. Also, a small spoonful of low fat plain yogurt and/or canned pumpkin (100% pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie mix) can help as well. Just add it with the chicken and rice. I also gave her ice cubes and small blocks of ice to play with, which she loves.

Keep her on the chicken & rice for a day or two after normal bowel movement is restored, but start including her normal food in increasing amounts (if it's dry food, soak it in water for a few minutes and mix it in with the chicken and rice). Slowly, over the next few feedings, work your way back to the pup's normal food.

These two websites were really helpful to me:
Treating Acute Diarrhea And Chronic Diarrhea in Dogs
Diarrhea in Dogs and Puppies

Keep an eye out for signs of dehydration. My puppy had runny poop but was otherwise playful and active, and her nose was still wet. If your puppy is lethargic or is showing severe signs of dehydration (lack of skin elasticity, etc) then take her to the vet asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs