Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

I know there are more people out there whose dogs go nuts when you vacuum; I can't be alone.

How severe does it get for you? What do you do about it? What actually works?

I've actually begun to avoid vacuuming, which is not good, with all the cat and dog hair. But I just DREAD the insane barking and snarling. I'm sure my neighbors hate it too, and would prefer that I just give up cleaning my home.

This isn't just a little bit of barking. It's loud, vicious, angry, pools-of-drool and foam-coming-out-of-the-mouth barking. I lock Shermyn in another room with the nice wooden pet gates, and he actually tore out one of the bars of the gate and pulverized it into splinters! He's a sweet dog otherwise, but he turns into a rabid beast when the vacuum comes out.

Now Winnie has learned it from him and goes crazy as soon as she sees the vacuum.

I've tried yelling at them. Doesn't work.
I've tried putting them outside. Doesn't work, then they bark insanely out there, which is worse for neighbor-relations.
I've tried giving them a special bone or pork-hide treat to distract them. Nope, they won't be fooled.
I've even tried (not hard) smacking with a rolled-up magazine. Doesn't work. Hated to do it, but desperate.
I've tried desensitizing them to the vacuum. Leaving it out where they can see it (they continue to bark and attack it, for hours and hours). Giving them treats on the vacuum (they eat the treat, then attack the vacuum). Gave up.

So I basically try to ignore them and get the cleaning done as soon as I can. But this still means 30-40 solid minutes of mayhem, after which I have a splitting headache. Then I have to clean up a huge pool of drool from where Sherm was (unfortunately, dog saliva doesn't make the wood floors nice & shiny like you'd think).

Anyone have advice? Anyone just want to commiserate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times
Jack was 3 when I adopted him and he's the most mellow guy ever, so I was surprised to find out that he was absolutely terrified of the vacuum cleaner (and any other loud noises). Whenever I had to vacuum, which is at least daily, I would laugh and dance and sing stupid songs about how it's just noise and it won't hurt you. If any other humans were around they would have been at least as afraid of the lunatic woman as Jack was of the vacuum. But, it worked. He seemed to pick up on the fact that I was having fun (ok, cleaning is not fun, but it's all about perception here) and he quickly relaxed. Now, he doesn't even open his eyes if he's napping and if he's sleeping on the floor, I actually have to nudge him out of the way with the vacuum cleaner. He also loves to be vacuumed with the upholstery brush.

It worked for thunder and fireworks, too.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
My dogs sit on the bed while I vacuum. (They hate the big "V" too)

Can you put your dogs in another room???

Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 AM

573 posts, read 970,920 times
Cookie (cocker spaniel/bichon mix) is used to it, but generally runs upstairs (or downstairs).

Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Yes, I do put them in another room. But the house isn't big, so they can still hear and see me.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:05 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times
Don't let them see this commercial!

Dirt Devil-The Exorcist on Vimeo

Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM

hahaha that's effing hilarious!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Bandit’s not a fan of the vacuum and used to retreat to the safety of his kennel while I had the scary machine out. But we moved 6 months ago, and some of his habitual behaviors are different in the new place than they were in the old place. In the new place, when I’m vacuuming, he’s practically underfoot, suspicious eyes fixed at all times on the vacuum. He doesn’t bark at it or growl or make any kind of threatening gestures. He just watches closely and moves with the machine, moving as I move (always positioning himself in my way, naturally, which must make it seem to him that I’m chasing him with the vacuum. No wonder he watches it with such suspicion!)

Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I crate Willie while I vacuum. He hates the vacuum, and tries to attack and bite it like it's an invading animal. He barks at it the same way he barks at rabbits and squirrels he stalks. He still barks from in the crate, but at least he's not underfoot.

For Willie, the vacuum has to actually be on and moving. Some dogs go nuts the minute they even see the vacuum, but not him. At first I thought it was the sound, but I think it's a combination of the sound and motion. He doesn't go crazy until it starts moving.

If it's nice out, I'll typically put him out on his 50-foot line. The neighbors don't care about barking, because they wouldn't even notice it, with their two bassets baying.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Oh, yeah, they hate it; the dog just goes out onto the balcony (insistently so) and sits on her dogbed until I am done. She beelines it to the balcony door as soon as she sees me coming out with it; sometimes, I'll warn her, saying, "Okay, I'm going to vaccuum now," and she immediately gets up and goes onto the balcony.

The cat completely freaks and darts from room to room, under the bed, then the couch, then a chair; she hates it so much that, when I left it out in the living room overnight, she wouldn't leave the top of the dryer and was acting like there was a poltergeist in the house until I put it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs