Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,234 times

Advertisements

My friend has a wonderful Sheltie. He has such a great personality. Very intelligent, affectionate & loyal but not overbearing. He barks rarely usually at strangers once or twice and that's it. I've read that they can be excessively barkey. I'd love to get one but am wondering if barkers are the rule or exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 05:09 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
I trained my pups young to Quiet. But you would be surprised how many people back then wanted them yappy!! So like most dogs they can learn to be quiet. They to me are the Most loyal dogs. They are familly dogs but will pick their person within the familly.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,237 times
mine has some sheltie in him and my advice is GET THEM YOUNG so you can re-route the barks! ours was 6 months and I've never totally beaten the barking monsters bark(I say this as he snores like a pig!)They don't bark because they are nuts ...they heard a leaf fall, the wind change or a squirrel poop ....very good reasons to bark!
They are smart, amazing animals and love their people more then anything in the world!
I've noticed I like boys more the girls, but I've noticed that w/ many dogs.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 AM

321 posts, read 1,556,620 times
I grew up with a Sheltie. Wonderful dogs, smart and easy to train, so yes you can certainly train them to obey a "quiet" command. Mine wasn't excessively barky, he wouldn't bark at every little thing, but he would bark if a stranger came within his sight. It would be good to find out how yappy the parents are as I'm sure genetics have something to do with it.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,366 times
I grew up with three shelties - not at the same time, but from the same breeders - Starhaven Kennels in Ohio. I don't know if they even exist now, but the dogs we bought were always the oversized dogs that wouldn't be appropriate for the show ring. They were sweet, one was a barker if the doorbell would ring or someone walked in front of the house and she was in the window. It wasn't excessive. The next one did bark, but again not excessive. She was not the brightest dog and she really only bonded to my mother. I did enjoy all of them, but as I have written elsewhere on this board when I was old enough to get my own dog I opted to adopt. I still smile when I see a sheltie and they will always have a special place in my heart.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
I wont recomend anyone going to a breeder [at this time] UNLESS you are looking for Confirmation Show dogs. I Highly recomend you look towards Sheltie Rescues in your area..and Beyond. With all the homes being forclosed on Rescues & pounds [shelters are bring over loaded with dogs both pure & mixes.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,237 times
shelties get lost easily(rn and hide) and show up in pounds every 2 to 3 months.
keep an eye out!

The biggest thing we did with ours was recall.When hes scared he doesn't run to hide he runs to me! Its the best thing in the world. Makes me feel special and saves his life.
Teach the recall from day one w/ a sheltie.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM

75 posts, read 275,741 times
hmmm good idea kelly... is there a specific way to teach recall? my sheltie is awesome and has learned so quickly. i also was raised with two shelties (at different times). my sheltie will run to me MOST of the time. i did get mine from a kennel because i was not able to adopt one because i don't have a fenced in yard. my dog has no exersize issues. both myself and my 8 year old daughter run with our sheltie and he walks every day with us. he's absolutely beautiful and we love him very much!!

our sheltie is not an excessive barking dog. i do think it's something they learn early. now in fact we have to beg him with "speak" and treats to get him to bark. now, he does "talk" though... hilarious!

shelties are the most loveable dog i've ever experienced. they try so hard to please their owners. the only drawback is that they can be mischevious when they are left alone too long.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 PM

118 posts, read 372,703 times
I have a Sheltie Mason he is 4 years old, he hardly barks he is a very good listener when I open the back door I tell Mason to sit and wait I can go out and will will not move until I enter the door again. Shelties are very good and loyal dogs. Besides Mason I have 4 others a gorgi, Australian Sheppard, Yorkie and a husky all males Mason the Sheltie is the only one who will sit by the open door and wait for me . Shelties are very good dogs

Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
We had a sheltie when my kids were little. She saved my son from being hit by the teeter totter he was walking right towards. She wrapped her body around him and sat him on the ground just as the swing went over his head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs