Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,890 times

Advertisements

We recently adopted a 1 1/2 year-old Beagle-Bassett mix from our local rescue. He tested heartworm positive and had two of his three treatment injections so we have been focusing on daily walks (twice a day) vs. runs at the local dog park.

The rescue had him on Science Diet dry dog food -- which, thanks to the food threads, I'm planning on weaning him off of and probably on to either Innova or Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Our vet said that his weight is good (28 pounds) but that we should try to keep him under 30 pounds.

Currently we do two long walks and one short walk a day, for a total of about 3 miles at a fairly brisk pace. Is this enough walking or should we be trying to lengthen our distance/pace?

Also, any suggestions on a replacement dry food choice for a Beagle/Bassett would be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
In the old days dogs were not alow to exercise for 6 months...so consult your vet.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:16 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Welcome to the hound-mix club! My dog, named Tonka, is a beagle/coonhound mix.

I'm not sure how to counsel you on walking while your dog is recovering from heartworms. I will say, from my own experience, that Tonka is an energetic little dog. At 9 years old, he still loves to go for day hikes on trails in the woods. Our last hike was about 7 miles in the mountains of NC. I was exhausted after climbing all of those rocks, but Tonka was ready to do another 7!

Enjoy him and post pictures when you can.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
In the old days dogs were not alow to exercise for 6 months...so consult your vet.
Our vet said the same thing that the rescue said -- walks on a leash were fine, but no running for 30 days post treatment. He was able to go running on September 23, and we took him to a dog park on Saturday (9/27). Our vet said leash walks would be great as all beagles need the exercise and it would be good bonding time for us.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Welcome to the hound-mix club! My dog, named Tonka, is a beagle/coonhound mix.

I'm not sure how to counsel you on walking while your dog is recovering from heartworms. I will say, from my own experience, that Tonka is an energetic little dog. At 9 years old, he still loves to go for day hikes on trails in the woods. Our last hike was about 7 miles in the mountains of NC. I was exhausted after climbing all of those rocks, but Tonka was ready to do another 7!

Enjoy him and post pictures when you can.
We met a beagle/coonhound at the dog park on Saturday. My beagle (Bedford) had a great time running around with the beagle/coonhound (Clyde) -- to the point where they hung out together for close to 2 hours!

Thanks for your reply!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Did they howl at each other? It's definitely an experience to hear a bunch of hounds "singing" together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
We met a beagle/coonhound at the dog park on Saturday. My beagle (Bedford) had a great time running around with the beagle/coonhound (Clyde) -- to the point where they hung out together for close to 2 hours!

Thanks for your reply!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,553 times
hi my dog name is Charlie, I need your help that my dog had bad diarrhea and how can I make him stop diarrhea? Please help me and I had him for a year and he started to have that for about few days. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs