Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,518,379 times

Advertisements

I've been reading contradictory information on dogs contracting poison ivy. Most of the literature that I have read supports that the urushiol resin from the poison ivy stays primarily on the outside of the dog's coat. Whereas, us owners are more apt to pet our dogs and then come into contact with the urushiol resin.

We went into the Ozark National Forest two weeks ago for 4 days of fun with our dogs. My partner and I both contracted poison ivy...this being the second time in my life and the worst case of it in my situation (had to be placed on a prednisone pack). But the dogs were itching more than usual after romping around in the forest. FYI, they are treated monthly with Frontline Plus. The owner's of the cabin we rent even mentioned their dogs were itching more than usual lately. Their dogs are also tx'd with Frontline Plus monthly. We all began to ponder whether it was poison ivy, chiggers, or something else.

I'm going to chat with a vet friend tomorrow about this and seek out his opinions. Just wondered what everyone's experiences and opinions were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,006,486 times
I don't know the answer but it's a question that I've been wondering about lately.

I'm looking forward to the vet's answer to your question.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:58 PM

I will definitely share what I can find out!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,261,866 times
I know over the years, our dogs have definately spread to our family, but I don't ever remember thinking they had it themselves....I too am interested in what you find out!

Here's a link I just find....there's actually quite a few articles on it...this just being the first!

http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2005/...poison-ivy.htm

Old 09-29-2008, 11:49 PM

18,608 posts, read 33,176,623 times
My dogs have given me p.i. by brushing against it, getting the oil on their fur, and then I get the allergic reaction. I've never seen them get any rash or allergic reaction. Of course, they can get an itchy spot from a bug bite or some other irritation, but I don't think they can get the p.i. themselves.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:48 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,501,583 times
All the hunting done with dogs in woods and field never thought about poison ivy or anything like that. Interesting topic here.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Okie dokie...I spoke with our vet friend today and here is his opinion on dogs and poison ivy. Dogs are highly unlikely to contract poison ivy, but it is possible. If they do contract poison ivy, it would present with the same physical characteristics as it does in humans. A dog would be more prone to poison ivy on their underside where the skin is more exposed and not protected by fur. Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier, dogs carry the urushiol resin on their fur and us humans are the ones typically to come in contact with it. Hope this helps clear things up. After speaking with him about the poison ivy, I know my dogs didn't have a reaction to it. Hope this helps clarify this issue. Thanks for the responses.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...our vet friend wondered if our dogs ran into any stinging nettles which can cause the red irritation and itching. I looked up the area we hiked in and they do have stinging nettles...I suppose it is always a viable possibility. I just thought I would include this for others to be aware of. Stinging nettle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Amazonchix; 09-30-2008 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,501,583 times
Stinging nettles suck from personal experience. I was always told if get in them break a stem wipe juices on you and the itch stops otherwise do not touch and burn goes away after a bit.
Thanks for the Poison Ivy info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs