Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 PM

174 posts, read 456,726 times

Advertisements

I recently rescued a dog from the shelter and am considering hiring a dog obedience trainer.

My doggie is a min pin/dachshund mix with a lot of issues that range from separation anxiety to dog aggression, only shows when he is on his leash, at the doggie beach he is fine romping and playing with other dogs.

After interviewing 2 dog trainers I've discovered there are many methods of training. One will come to my house for 3 hours on the first visit and train me to use the pack leader method, while the other recommends a shock collar and I will meet him at a park once a week for six weeks.

Both are priced between $400 - $500. One is a six week training course and other is for a year but they say it will take only 4 sessions to accomplish my goals.

My question is, have you used a dog obedience training and what do you recommend is the best method. The worst method?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Obedience Trainer?-button1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,367,561 times
NEVER SHOCK!!

Go to a class lots cheeper & better results. Look for a dog club near you.
American Kennel Club - Club Search and Directory
United Kennel Club: In Your Area (http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/ComInYourArea - broken link)

Your local humane socity & vet could also help you find a class.
I train with love & some times treats. Some train with clicker method.
But never train with pain! Shock training is ok for the hunter cause he has no other way to correct a dog in the field. But allyou need is a good 6 ft lead & collar & love.
Training should be a bonding time for you & your dog not a fearful time.
I would never use either of the trainers you mentioned.

How old is your dog & how long have you had him?

Last edited by Katie1; 09-30-2008 at 11:09 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Thank you, I thought that sounded very inhumane! The trainer said it was recommended by the Humane Society but I have been doing some research and in fact they don't recommend it for barking as the dog may ignore the shock and continue to bark.

I appreciate the feedback and I'll look into classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
NEVER SHOCK!!

Go to a class lots cheeper & better results. Look for a dog club near you.
American Kennel Club - Club Search and Directory
United Kennel Club: In Your Area (http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/ComInYourArea - broken link)

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,367,561 times
I added to my above post. And I am sure others will give you advise to.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,596,442 times
I trained my chihuahuas with bribery...treats, that is! Didn't take long for them to realize that "no" is equivilant to "too bad...no treats for YOU now!" They still have their moments, (they ARE chihuahuas, after all!!!) but I have to say they're pretty friendly and well-mannered now! I read quite a bit of lit. before getting my first 2, and virtually everything I read said to praise good behavior, and only scold for bad behavior when you catch them in the act with firm, calm resolve rather than anger.

The separation anxiety is something I encountered with my 1st cat...she was tearing up the joint, literally, and biting the heck outta me when I'd get home. I got a 2nd kitty and the problem was solved...she was just lonely, and once she had a friend, she was much happier, plus I got to rescue 2 instead of 1 which made me happy...

For the barking issue, I had to give them "time out" in a separate room behind a baby gate for awhile, until they realized that once mama lets the people in, there's no threat & the barking should stop. (This was the hardest thing!!! I only let them out when they stopped barking, but at the beginning they would run right out and start barking at my guests all over again, so there was a lot of back-and-forth until they were amply socialized. (Thank goodness my friends are good sports and continued to come over regularly during this process...those high-pitched little voices can cut right through your eardrum sometimes!)
Hope this helps...good luck with your new furbaby, and congratulations!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:24 AM

339 posts, read 1,263,716 times
I would highly recommend you look into Caesar Milan's training techniques: Welcome to Cesar Millan's Official Web Site. He has videos and training material available on his site, which allows you to go at your own pace.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 AM

5,098 posts, read 12,607,485 times
Despite the fact I know how to train a dog, I still take a class with any new dog as it is good for the socialization. Working around the other dogs helps the dogs learn to focus on you . I have always been in fun classes so enjoy going too. I try to use positive training and use either treat rewards or for Jazz a toy worked best as a reward.

I would never use a shock collar to train a dog. But I did have to resort to a citronella remote collar for Jazz as she knew what come meant but at the park if she did not want to come she would ignore me, if she looked at me she came every time, if she looked away she would not obey.With her issues with some dogs it was important she come on the first call. So I took her to the dog park let her off leash and when she had her nose down a squirrel hole I called she ignored me so I hit the button and she got a blast of the citronella and came racing to me . She seemed to think the squirrel did that so it was quite funny. I only had to do it twice and she was pretty solid with recalls. I also used it when she would race around the pool at my parents frantic, barking and trying to pull my young nephews out of the water. She was too frantic to obey and once again it took about two times of using the citronella collar to get her to stop doing it and be able to be calm as she watched them swim. Then she took to just annoying them by tossing her ball in the water at them and waiting for them to toss it out.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,970,855 times
NEVER punish...just don't reward. And I'm not a fan of Cesar Milan.

Try and find a trainer who uses ONLY positive methods: NO 'corrections,' no jerking on the leash, no punishment and absolutely no 'alpha roll.' You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. My pug, a breed rumored to be 'difficult to train' earned his CGC at the age of nine months using only positive methods.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:07 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,539,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Despite the fact I know how to train a dog, I still take a class with any new dog as it is good for the socialization. Working around the other dogs helps the dogs learn to focus on you . I have always been in fun classes so enjoy going too.
I totally agree! We do the same exact thing!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 AM

Thanks so much for all the great info. The shelter said he's a year old but I feel like he a little younger, he's very very playful and unruly. I've had him for few weeks.

He sleeps peacefully in the crate at night but when I put him in during the day to leave he cries, so I put him in the kitchen with his crate open and a gate in the doorway.

Another problem... he chases my cats, can a dog actually be trained not to chase cats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs