Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 04:48 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

My Catahoula passed away a few months ago, and the kelpie has been out of sorts ever since. When I'd leave him in my basement (where we live), he would pull things out of place, break into packages of food and generally cause chaos like he did the first few weeks I had him. So I had to crate him.

Last week I got an 8-week-old kitten because I knew the kelpie needed a friend and I wasn't ready to get another dog. The next dog I get will be a Catahoula, and those require more time than I have right now. So a friend of a friend fosters litters from stray and abandoned cats, and I adopted a tortoiseshell from her most recent litter. The kitten is a very sweet and very adorable lunatic, and the first few days both she and the kelpie were terrified of each other. But last night they were even playing a little (batting the air around each other's faces -very cute). Today I left the kitten and kelpie loose together for periods throughout the day while I ran errands. Not a thing was out of place when I came home.

I think the kitten was the solution to my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 06:04 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
If only kittens were the solutions to all problems.

So happy to hear that your kelpie and kitten are enjoying each other.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
They'll probably become very fast and best friends. Congratulations on your new addition. I'm sure your dog will appreciate the company.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
I'm glad it went like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zEPiQI3M2Y

... not like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxweAMlWVDA

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If only kittens were the solutions to all problems.

So happy to hear that your kelpie and kitten are enjoying each other.
"Enjoying each other" may be overstating it. They coexist and draw comfort from each other's presence, I think, LOL.

Today, the kitten became rather irate when the kelpie refused to surrender his kibble to her. Much hissing and yowling that he thankfully ignored.

I'm glad the kelpie is happy though. I felt so bad for him - he was so lost without my other dog.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 PM

[quote=suzy_q2010;48896617]I'm glad it went like this ...

... not like this ...

I love those videos!

I actually got the kitten because his foster mom said that he LOVED the family cat. He's a very social dog, and part of the reason she chose me to adopt him is because he and the Houla hit it off so well at that first meeting. They used to start every morning off with a big roughhousing session.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:32 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
It makes me happy that you care enough about the kelpie's feelings to get him a friend!

One of my daughters did exactly what you did, got a kitten for her dog as a pal as her apartment house allowed one dog/one cat. She named it Onyx's Cat.

Her dog (pit mix I stole off a chain) had a horrid life prior to her getting her and had to go to daycare; could not be left alone in the apartment at all. But she and the kitten played well and she treated the kitten like a puppy, licked it a LOT, pinned it down and licked mind you.
She had been used for breeding I am sure.

Then my daughter got ANOTHER kitten, she called it Anne Frank since she had to be hidden as apt house had the 1dog/1 cat rule. The two kittens played mostly together then and Onyx got left out.

Then she married, her husband came with 2 cats.
So now they have four cats and Onyx the dog (now in a big house not the apt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs