Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

I was thinking today about the pet food recall ( dont ask me why).

I remember that a few months before that recall, I'd tried to give Jasper some food from Iams.

He refused to touch it. Period. I saw him sniff it once, and he immediately turned his back on it.

A few weeks later the recall was issued.

Ive often wondered how he knew...or IF he knew? The only thing I can think of is that the year we moved into our house, we had a small mouse problem. So we got out the DeCon ( mouse/rat poison) and put it around the house. I caught Jasper sniffing it, and I immediately grabbed him by his nose, looked him in the eye ( Ive done this maybe twice in his life) and said "NO!! Dont let me ever catch you sniffing or eating that stuff, you hear me? No!" It scared the crap out of me to even see him sniffing it, hence the strong reaction.

Wonder if he remembered the smell and my reaction when he first smelled it? Or have I just been hanging around work too long and imagining things?
What do ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Maybe he smelled that something was "off", that seems like a real possibility.

It's hard to say, some dogs are picky about what they are willing to eat, so maybe he just didn't like Iams. But I think dogs will be turned off by food that is spoiled in some way, so maybe it smelled spoiled to him?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
The contamination was melamine, which accumulated in the kidneys. Rat poison usually contyains warfarin, not related to melamine. No clear answer to your question.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 PM

I thought that it was traces of rat poison that they found to be the culprit?
Or maybe it was abit of both the melamine and warfarin?

I really need to stop thinking of random stuff at work...lol

Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
I think some dogs have a better instinct or are just more "particular" about what they will eat. Simon won't eat anything that he doesn't recognize and turns up his nose at trash. He really will only eat one type of dog food and not a lot of it. Our Studel thought her job was to clean up the streets when she went on a walk. It was difficult to always be on the lookout for trash. Brandy would eat nothing from the street. We would stop by the local bakery and the counter clerks would try to give her cookies and she would spit them out. Embarassing since this was one of the best bakeries in the area. I think it must be something inbred in some breeds, even though all of my dogs have been mixed. I hope Stru would not have eaten a tainted dog food, but I feel sure that Simon and Brandy would have turned their nose up, thankfully.

Last edited by SXMGirl; 10-16-2008 at 05:55 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I think some dogs have a better instinct or are just more "particular" about what they will eat. Simon won't eat anything that he doesn't recognize and turns up his nose at trash. He really will only eat one type of dog food and not a lot of it. Our Studel thought her job was to clean up the streets when she went on a walk. It was difficult to always be on the lookout for trash. Brandy would eat nothing from the street. We would stop by the local bakery and the counter clerks would try to give her cookies and she would spit them out. Embarassing since this was one of the best bakeries in the area. I think it must be something inbred in some breeds, even though all of my dogs have been mixed. I hope Stru would not have eaten a tainted dog food, but I feel sure that Simon and Brandy would have turned their nose up, thankfully.
Jasper is like that. He will not eat a cookie given to him by a stranger when we're out and about. Never taught him to do this...he just does it.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Sometimes they smell it, sometimes they don't. Most dogs know which flowers & weeds to stay away from, and which ones are ok to munch on. However, lots of dogs will drink antifreeze.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Sometimes they smell it, sometimes they don't. Most dogs know which flowers & weeds to stay away from, and which ones are ok to munch on. However, lots of dogs will drink antifreeze.

or eat the rat poison like the dog a poster spoke about a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs