Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM

52 posts, read 155,644 times

Advertisements

I mean flying them in airplanes, not cause they have wings, duh.

lol, but seriously, I am really torn what to do and could use some help. I have a 60 pound rottweiler/shepherd and I'm moving cross country to Oregon. (I don't drive, so just renting a car isn't an option.)

I can transport him on ground for about $600-700. From what I gather, Delta charges about $228 to fly him.

How dangerous is flying a dog? Is it stressful to them? Does anyone have any experience with it? Any idea which airline has the best pet program?

Any and all help would be so appreciated -- thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 03:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
It is always dangerous to fly a big dog b/c they have to go in the cargo hold. Yes, they say they will put him in the heated section with air but there is no guarantee. If the plane has mechanical trouble and sits for 3 hrs on the tarmac, he is sitting, too-and likely w/o power to the plane for the air. If there is bad weather, ditto. I would never do it. Anotrher choice is to hire someone to drive both of you across country and fly them back.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,443,490 times
I have flown my Goldens a few times...although I really hate to do so. Yes...they must fly cargo...but Continental is suppose to be the only airlines who touts a air controlled climate for their animals. Along with the airfare (and they charge by the size of the crate...which MUST be airlined approved) be prepared to have a less than 10 day old health certificate issued from a certified vet.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM

52 posts, read 155,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Anotrher choice is to hire someone to drive both of you across country and fly them back.
hmm, good idea. Thanks. I might think about doing this if I'm stuck.

Thank you too Shelbygirl. I'll look into Continental.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
When I flew to Portland in June there was a large dog on our flight. I saw him before he was crated and put on the plane and while we waited for out luggage in Portland his crate arrived and the owner opened it and he came out all wags and wiggles. Of course it was only a 2 hr flight.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,499,605 times
If you do choose to fly with your dog, please try your best to get a direct flight... less chance of your furbaby being stranded in someplace without you!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:51 AM

518 posts, read 2,062,307 times
I'll stress the importance of a the health certificate from your vet, give them as much time as possible to prepare. This is a must for flying in an airplane.

I don't have any experience with this, but I don't think I would put my dogs on the plane. Do you have a friend that could drive you in a rental car, then maybe pay for their ticket back home. Good Luck in whatever you do, and with your move.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,564 times
Flew my Boxer from Uk to USA she was fine, just make sure he is comfortable with being in the crate we used ours for a month before she flew.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 AM

168 posts, read 673,162 times
I agree with millie61. Flying them on a good airline, and make the crate a fun place to be starting a month before. We do it by giving them their food in their crates, plus goody cookies. They also have a blanket and are urged to sleep in it at night. For one that was reluctant, we chained a juicy cow hip ball in there and that did it. The crate was okay after that.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
Talked to a friend that does some rescue here. She said make sure the airline knows what breed of dog and has approved the crate for it BEFORE you show up at the airport. They had a Pitbull that got adopted by a wonderful family that lived out of state and the family paid to have it flown to them. When the recuse person got to LAX the airline refused the dog due to the crate. Yet they had flown other dogs in the same type of crate before. Because of the dog being a pitbull they wanted a steel crate that there was no way it could escape( not that he was vicious as he was a big huggable kissey face!). They had gotten there early so did have time to call and find such a crate and the dog made his flight and for the past couple years has been enjoying life with his wonderful family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs