Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM

20 posts, read 68,983 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
This is my first time in the pet forum and I'm hoping that someone, anyone can provide me with some much needed information, advice or anything you'll be able to offer to my situation. My husband and I moved to was approved for an apartment in Charlotte while we were in our home state. The application required us to indicate the breed and size (in pounds) of the dog that we had. Well, we indicated that we had a Terrier and because of the issues surrounding agressive breeds, specifically "pitbull", we were told by them that we would need a letter in case it became a concern. Well we received a letter from our vet basically stating that there is no such breed as a "pitbull" etc etc. Anyway, when we came to sign our lease, they had an addendum that stated that certain "agressive breeds", specifically "pitbulls", chows and a few other dogs were not permitted on premise. We signed the addendum because as far as we are concerned, our dog is not a pitbull and is not agressive. A few days later one of the workers saw the dog and stated that he resembles a pit and we were reported to the office. We were asked to bring the dog to show them and upon seeing him, they came to the conclusion that he "resembles" a pit and a few days later we were told that we have one week to get the dog off the premise. We had a lengthy discussion with management and even indicated to them that we have seen other tenants with pets. They claim they are not aware of who those tenants might be, which obviously indicates some loopholes in their policy. We don't feel it's fair that we should have to get rid of our dog especially since we took the necessary measures, including being honest and transparent upfront. I know this is long but please please someone give us some advice on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,431,397 times
The term "Pitbull" is meant to incorporate many breeds of dog to cover what the owner / manager does not want to let in the apartment. Getting a letter from the vet saying it isnt a "pitbull" is most likely not going to help. What do you have ? Staff, AmStaff, ABPT ?

TBH I dont think there is much you can do, specially if you signed paper saying he is no tone of these breeds. Remember that this kind of restriction is ignorant, and so are the people enforcing it, so there is not much you can do.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,472,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camran View Post
Hello All,
This is my first time in the pet forum and I'm hoping that someone, anyone can provide me with some much needed information, advice or anything you'll be able to offer to my situation. My husband and I moved to was approved for an apartment in Charlotte while we were in our home state. The application required us to indicate the breed and size (in pounds) of the dog that we had. Well, we indicated that we had a Terrier and because of the issues surrounding agressive breeds, specifically "pitbull", we were told by them that we would need a letter in case it became a concern. Well we received a letter from our vet basically stating that there is no such breed as a "pitbull" etc etc. Anyway, when we came to sign our lease, they had an addendum that stated that certain "agressive breeds", specifically "pitbulls", chows and a few other dogs were not permitted on premise. We signed the addendum because as far as we are concerned, our dog is not a pitbull and is not agressive. A few days later one of the workers saw the dog and stated that he resembles a pit and we were reported to the office. We were asked to bring the dog to show them and upon seeing him, they came to the conclusion that he "resembles" a pit and a few days later we were told that we have one week to get the dog off the premise. We had a lengthy discussion with management and even indicated to them that we have seen other tenants with pets. They claim they are not aware of who those tenants might be, which obviously indicates some loopholes in their policy. We don't feel it's fair that we should have to get rid of our dog especially since we took the necessary measures, including being honest and transparent upfront. I know this is long but please please someone give us some advice on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for your help
I hate to say this, but unfortunately, it sounds like you were dishonest up front. You knew the dog was a Pit Bull breed (whatever) and not a terrier but you tried to sneak him into the building.

Maybe you can find someone to take the dog temporarily while you start looking for another place to live. Your other option is to give the dog up.

Very sad story.

Woofers

Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,501,919 times
I would be looking for a new place, pronto.

But in the meantime, I'd just sit tight. What can they do? I suppose they could eventually evict you, but that will take time. In the meantime, you're lining up a backup rental, so you're ready.

They want their rent, ultimately. So you may find they will do nothing. It's still prudent to find another rental though, you don't want to be scrambling at the last minute.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 PM

702 posts, read 2,527,037 times
Will they let you out of your lease? I wouldn't want to live anywhere that wouldn't allow my pet to live with me. When you move make sure you research the area to make sure there is no BSL and the building you move into will allow your dog. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,678,535 times
I could never own a dog if I knew my living situation could become unstable as you now have learned. Sounds like you sneaked the dog in and knew it could become a problem living there with the dog. You have to move right away! Otherwise another poor doggie goes to a shelter somewhere. And because of its stereotypical untrue bad rap of the breed what is the likelihood it will ever make it out of that shelter alive into a loving home? Hate to be so blunt but this is the way it is. Yes, could be a very sad story and ending for that poor dog!
I continue to ask myself why some people get a dog!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,097,086 times
I have to agree with the other posters. You know that it's not fair to the other renters.

We have to pay extra for our dog. I was thinking the other day we could have easily lied and no one would know we had a dog but we did the stand up thing and were honest. Finding a rental that allows ANY dog is very hard.

I think all dogs should be judged individually, not on breed. Our neighbors have a few nasty pugs (no offense to anyone--just an observation) they let loose to terrorize the local cats. They get ANNOYED when I walk my dog on a leash and she barks at them.

We all loves dogs--we all should be responsible.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 AM

543 posts, read 2,366,800 times
I can't stomach these type of leases. Aggression comes in every single breed and to single out a few select breeds is wrong, just wrong.
I am a former pit owner (she is at rainbow bridge now) and my girl was one of the best dogs I have ever owned. She was no more aggresssive than the neighbor's golden retrievers that killed my chi.

I don't think there is much you can do about the lease. Landlords have the right to say what goes. Plus, homeowners insurance stipulates what type of breeds can be on the property.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:40 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,678,535 times
It is not the problem leases or landlords. There are people that rent and are not responsible pet owners therefore they ruin it for everyone else. If someone rents with a dog that was allowed in and the idiots let the dog run lose or have accidents in the apt. and ruin the floors now a bad situation was created and agrivates the landlord....now he says, No pets allowed! Was it the dogs fault? No, the owner. So these irresponsible people ruin it for the responsible and trust me today there are more irresponsible pet owners....as you can tell by the shelters full to capacity all over in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs