Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 01:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,820,742 times

Advertisements

I realize from your posts that you folks are dealing with more serious issues than I have but if anyone can enlighten me on some odd things my dog does I'd be grateful.
1) She lurks outside the shower and tries to lick the shower water off me before I can towel it off. She always has a nice fresh dish of water!
2) She "digs" in her pet bed for a couple of minutes before she settles down. She doesn't dig in the yard, just when going to sleep.
She's very old and we have always thought she was a pit crossed with a lab or shepherd. This beharios has been going on forever and we're just curious.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I realize from your posts that you folks are dealing with more serious issues than I have but if anyone can enlighten me on some odd things my dog does I'd be grateful.
1) She lurks outside the shower and tries to lick the shower water off me before I can towel it off. She always has a nice fresh dish of water!
2) She "digs" in her pet bed for a couple of minutes before she settles down. She doesn't dig in the yard, just when going to sleep.
She's very old and we have always thought she was a pit crossed with a lab or shepherd. This beharios has been going on forever and we're just curious.Thanks in advance.
Not sure about the shower thing. If you're using a scented soap or body wash that might be the reason.

I think the bed digging (one of my German shepherds does it) is instinctual behavior left over from when their ancestors had to dig dens to live in or wanted to dig a hole in the cool dirt to sleep in. My GSD will also sometimes turn around several times in his bed before settling down. I think that's also residual instinctual behavior from when their ancestors would make their bed in the tall grass and would circle several times to flatten it.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:07 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,491,638 times
We've had a couple of dogs that liked to lick water off us. Maybe it's like flavored water when it comes off of our skin?? Not sure.
Most dogs dig in their beds, at least once in awhile. Some do it often. Rowan is right about the digging and circling. I think some animals like to make their beds more nest-like too. One of our dogs occasionally gets up on our bed and remakes the the top sheet and blanket into a big comfy pile in the middle of the bed, by sort of scooting with all four paws. She works very hard at it! I'm sure it irks her to have to re-do it every time.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,704,732 times
My dog also licks me when I'm in the tub and when I get out of the tub. It think it's a grooming thing.

My dog does the digging around thing with the pillow in her crate. It think she's just getting it the way she wants it - fluffed up just right.

All we can do is guess :-)

Old 05-22-2015, 03:18 PM

13,943 posts, read 39,470,645 times
You bathe you removing your scent & adding another. She don't fell Your Clean! So she giving you another bath!

Old 05-22-2015, 04:52 PM

20,140 posts, read 16,268,317 times
My dogs that have licked us when we came out of the shower tended to be dogs that were into nurturing. I think they were trying to help groom us. As far as the circle thing, I agree it is a left over instinct and is akin to fluffing your pillow.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,132,666 times
Quote:
The digging seems to be something they are born with as I have seen puppies do it not having been outside. They also do not have to learn to clean themselves natural and that might just be what the dog is doing to you. I have seen mother clean water off puppies who got wet too. my dog has always dug at flooring and use nose to seemingly bury food that he leaves on his dish for later it seems.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,254,387 times
Quote:
Wouldn't know specifically but my dogs prefer the puddle outside instead of their water dish.

Quote:
This is instinct, if they were in the wild it would be to a dig hole to help keep body heat. My dog does this, she has two particular spots she does it. One is under a desk and the other is in the smallest room in the house she has access too which is the laundry.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,604,689 times
Almost all my dogs have done both of those things.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:25 PM

823 posts, read 1,132,165 times
I have an Australian Shepherd who also likes to lick the water off of me. I always assumed since Aussies are so attached to their humans, that he does it because they likes the smell and I guess, the taste of their owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs