Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times

Advertisements

On today's ballot, there was a referendum question to ban greyhound racing as animal abuse. My guess is, most people don't care, a lot of animal people will vote to ban it, and there's a very small lobby to continue the racing. I suspect the ban will pass.
We also had the option to vote to decriminalize one ounce of marijuana (hardly my big issue, but I'd just as soon law enforcement was getting the real bad guys) and we could vote to end the state income tax- talk about temptation, but it would be a disaster.
It was so great to see so many people out voting. The poll watchers said they'd gotten a lot of new voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,222 times
I'm not a proponent of using animals for gambling purposes. I know many may disagree, but it seems to me that abuse and neglect are more likely when a living creature is treated as a commodity that must "pay its way".

Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,870 times
I feel that the dogs are in their element when racing, but I'd like to see an assurance to their treatment off the track. A friend of mine had a retired Greyhound who played at 45-mph. He was a handful, but a very loving pet.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:03 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I'm not a proponent of using animals for gambling purposes. I know many may disagree, but it seems to me that abuse and neglect are more likely when a living creature is treated as a commodity that must "pay its way".
Well stated.
Humans love to exploit animals and this is yet another example. What they do to 'old dogs' is so sad...

Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I feel that the dogs are in their element when racing, but I'd like to see an assurance to their treatment off the track. A friend of mine had a retired Greyhound who played at 45-mph. He was a handful, but a very loving pet.
It's how the animals are treated and then discarded when they get too old or can't keep up.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
looks like MA voted to ban it!! very happy indeed I got the shivers every time I had to ride by the Wonderland track, glad to see it may be closed and gone soon

one things that's been popping up from the comments I've seen on the online articles is why ban greyhound racing and not horse racing. I'm not thrilled about horse racing, especially about the very fragile state of racehorses, but they are treated much better than a racing greyhound. thoroughbreds are far more valuable than racing dogs. a lot of time, money, and planning goes into the breeding, caring for, and training of a good racer. certain lines w/ proven winners are valuable and once a winner retires, it's bred. due to these things, a racehorse is likely to be treated better than a racing dog, which may be seen as more disposable. I'm not sure how older racehorses or those unsuitable for breeding are treated after their career are over, but they probably aren't being dumped and PTS in the quantity greyhounds are. seems like at some point, the majority of racers end up in a shelter or rescue.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Actually, many former racing horses are sent to slaughter for dinner tables overseas, and treated as badly as any animal who is factory farmed. Very few are bred.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Actually, many former racing horses are sent to slaughter for dinner tables overseas, and treated as badly as any animal who is factory farmed. Very few are bred.
That's just terrible. People suck.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
well, all the more reason to move on to banning horse racing- or at the very least (since I think a complete ban on horse racing will be very, very hard to do), create better legislation. I thought this year was going to be the year that the issues w/ horse racing was really going to be looked at, what w/ the euthanasia of Barbaro and the death of 8 Belles right on the track. there was some anger about 8 Belles breaking down on the track and being PTS, and there was some discussion about the physical state of race horses, but it died away. not sure how many more horses need to break their legs on the track before things change, but if something else happens next year at the Preakness or other races, people are going to start talking (3 major injuries/deaths in 3 years).

as for the greyhounds, hopefully they can be adopted. reading some of the comments on the boston.com article, people are claiming that these dogs will not be put up for adoption, that they'll either be shipped out to other states or PTS. I have no clue if this is the case of not, though, and frankly, I lose even more respect for this sort of business (though, in a worse case scenario, I'd rather see a grey humanely PTS than go through neglect and abuse at a racetrack)

Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
I honestly think it is foolish to ban Greyhound Racing. If you think the dogs are treated badly then regulate the treatment of dogs, their conditions, breeding, training, medication etc. Dont ban it. They are human made dogs which are in their element in the race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs