Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times

Advertisements

This evening I just took a closer look at what I had originally thought was just a wart on my dog's chin. You know how some dogs will have little warts or bumps where their whiskers are on their chin or face? I thought this was the case, I noticed it about a week or two ago..but something about it kept making me look at it again. So today I looked and found out its some kind of bug!! GROSS!!! My poor doggy! I would take her to the vet today but it's after hours. Tomorrow morning I fly out of town, but I think I may have my mom take her in if there's nothing I can do about it on my own.

So here is the bug! It almost looks like a sunflower seed poking out of her chin, but I looked under the fur and it has little black legs that wiggle when I move away the hairs! GROSS!!
Is there anything I can do about this to remove the bug? Any tips or helpful links? I don't want to hurt her.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ims0hardcore/HPIM3209.jpg (broken link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ims0hardcore/HPIM3210.jpg (broken link)
Also she has this growth on her back, near the shoulderblade of her left side. I believe she's had this for some time, but I always assumed maybe its just one of those weird warts or growths that dogs sometimes get. It looks like it might have grown just a bit, but not too much. It feels like a wart, just solid and fatty. Any clues?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ims0hardcore/HPIM3212.jpg (broken link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ims0hardcore/HPIM3213.jpg (broken link)

Poor thing! She's such a beautiful doggy, she doesn't deserve such ugly things on her little body Please help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Uh, the first pic is of a tick. Just get some tweezers and pull it off! Get the head though.

The second looks (to me) like a mole.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,640 times
That's a tick...and it needs to be removed. If you don't know how to do it properly, then take your dog to the vet, and afterwards, make sure you have them treated monthly for ticks, fleas. Not sure about the other one...but I'd have it checked out

Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Hurry up and pull the tick out. You don't want it to stay in there too long because it can pass diseases on to your dog. Get a good hold and pull it out and flush it in the toilet. Apply alcohol.

Not sure about the second. Growths are common on dogs but you do want to make sure it's not a mast cell tumor, which can metastasize.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Tick...and the longer it stays in the fatter it will get on your dogs blood. If your squeamish about removing it yourself, a vet can put some medication on that makes it let go and back off itself.
The second is a mole of sorts. You may want to have the vet look at that as well and test it.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 01-08-2009 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-08-2009, 03:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
As everyone has said, that's an engorged tick and you should remove it ASAP!!!! The longer a tick is attached the higher the likelihood that either or both of Lyme disease or ehrlichiosis, both of which are transmitted by ticks, is being transmitted!

The other lesion is one you should show to your vet - it could possibly be a mast cell tumor, although these are less common in your dog's breed. The only way to tell is to biopsy.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
It helps to smother the tick with alcohol first so it will loosen its hold...you dont want to squeeze or twist, as the fluids and possible disease in the tick can go into your dog...smother, then pull the tick out straight with tweezers. (If you happen to have any geranium or tea tree essential oil on-hand, they work even better than alcohol for getting the tick to release.) The 2nd pic looks like it might be a bug bite that scabbed over...just keep an eye on it and clean it with witch hazel.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I'm sorry, but that second one is NOT a bug bite scabbed over and no amt. of witch hazel will help it. It is most likely a Papilloma, but needs to be looked at.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I agree, the second photo is NOT an insect bite: it's a mass. If it's a papilloma (which is caused by a virus and has a cauliflower appearance) it will go away eventually. If its a mast cell tumor, then it should be removed. Mast cell tumors have very varied appearances and it's impossible to tell without having a piece of tissue.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
You need to have your dog seen by a vet and get on some proper flea/tick prevention. Another method for pulling the tick out so as to also remove the head is to light a match, blow it out and immediately place it on the tick. This will make the tick release it's hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs