Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:15 PM

551 posts, read 2,286,915 times

Advertisements

I have an almost-9-year-old labrador retriever, and she's starting to show her age just a bit. She is a little stiff after especially active days; slow to get up, not interested in going upstairs, etc.

What should I be doing? I have a great vet and an appointment next week, so I'm getting that advice, too. She is ideal weight and gets lots of activity.

But i'm also interested in what others are doing... Joint supplements? Special beds? Pain meds?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We had the same problem with our Strudel years ago and she took Rimadyl. She was on it for a long time, but it seemed to work well for her. Have them check your dog's eyes for cataracts. That was where we saw the most change in her. She had difficulty seeing so she did not go upstairs. It seemed to progress very fast.

Our Simon, who is very active and is about 13ish (he came from a rescue), is starting to show his age. He sleeps on the heated part of our bed, so I think he has the beginnings of doggie arthritis. I am on the lookout for cataracts in him also. He is actually a little bit underweight because of his level of activity.

Anyway, I hope that everything checks out well for you and your dog.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
My Cleo is a 12 year old Border Collie mixed with (Lab?), anyway she's about 60 pounds. She has slowed down some, but still likes to run around the backyard like a young filly.

I'm not doing anything different other than six years ago we moved into a house and the apt. we'd been in had stairs whereas thehouse does not. She still eats a great food that I know helps the situation as a whole.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
It's great you have a Vet appt. coming up, that is the best place to start.
Yes as the person above said Rimadyl is often prescribed.
It's also important to take a look around your house, keep Pet beds easily accessible and away from drafts.
Slippery floors can be a pain for them a non-skid rug here and there can help. Especially at the launching areas/where they jump off things.
Just try to put yourself in their shoes/paws so to speak.
and in winter depending on you weather always beware of ice just like us.

Hope your Pup feels better soon!

Last edited by Summerz; 11-24-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
I had my senior shih tzu on glucosamine/chondroitin for years and I am sure it made a difference. Her hip dysplasia was so bad that there was really no socket evident on an x ray, but she was still running around inside at 14. Definitely minimize jumping.

The kind of gluc/chon I gave my dog was from Foster and Smith - I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link here, but it was Joint Care 3 granules with MSM. I sprinkled it on her food - she loved it!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:49 AM

5 posts, read 23,960 times
Hi

I am a newbie to the forum, but I can attest to the foster and smith formula. My lab will be 11 next month and she has been on it for a few years. It has really made a difference! She takes the tablets and LOVES them. I also give her a dose of Ester C which helps her joints too. She is also on Canidae Platinum which has Chondrotin and glucosamine in it too. Good luck

Old 11-26-2008, 06:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
The glucosamine/chondroitin is great for older dogs. I have had my 13 yr old Golden on it for years...and started my 7 yr old Golden on it last year. It can be bought over the counter in any drug aisle like Target or even the grocery store. As my vet put it....Glucosamine is glucosamine...can't do much to it...so no use spending more than needed on it with a prescription.
It does take about 10 days for it to be totally absorbed into the system...it has a build=up effect....one tab of 1500mg a day would be sufficient for your dog.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,575 times
Its tough seeing our senior pups in pain. I can relate to your post.

Our boxer is almost 13 years old. Sometimes, in the morning Dakota is so stiff. Our vet told us to try a natural supplement for her called Dasuquin. The vet kept saying that she would love eating it because it was like a treat! Well, we didn't get the chance to give it to her really. We tried and tried to get her to eat the special treat. She HATED it. She constantly spit it out.

I hope you have better luck trying to get your pup to take the meds. I know it is probably good for her, but we just kept a big fight up with her and to me it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Has anyone else tried this?

I wish you the best of luck with your senior!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
I have an almost-9-year-old labrador retriever, and she's starting to show her age just a bit. She is a little stiff after especially active days; slow to get up, not interested in going upstairs, etc.

What should I be doing? I have a great vet and an appointment next week, so I'm getting that advice, too. She is ideal weight and gets lots of activity.

But i'm also interested in what others are doing... Joint supplements? Special beds? Pain meds?

Thanks in advance.
Make sure you keep her weight down. That's #1.

Overweight dogs live shorter lives and it really puts a strain on them.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Hi Chicky!

With regards to Glucosamine and Chondroitin please click and read the thread link below. There were several great posts! We ended up starting our dogs on a combined supplement about two weeks ago. Not to mention we bought the supplement cheaper in human form. All of the good deatils can be found on this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...arge-dogs.html

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs