Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,359 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im sorry to hear about Leon. I just said goodbye to my 6month old boxer Harley who had Cardiomyopathy. Our Vet found it at 12weeks old. They put us on sotalol. we stopped using it, it wasnt doing anything but making her seem sick. Once we took her off I decided to give her 2 raw eggs a day. After a lot of research of my own and talking to my vet, pure protein will help (not prevent) the fluid from leaking out of the blood into the lungs, etc. As you can see this was a short term fix. We lost Harley in her sleep with zero signs that she was leaving us. It was the worse pain i have yet to experience. Im not trying to bring you down as I may have already and I apologize. I dont know how you feel about meds, etc but we 100% were against anything that would prolong this fatal disease. We wanted to give her the absolute best life ever, whether short or long. She was the Happiest puppy ever; you would have never known she was ill. The first month of diagnosis she did the coughing and passing out. Nothing ever since then, for about 4 months. Im sad, but also happy that I picked her out and she got to love her short little life w/people and her boxer sister that loved her so much. Unfortunately there's really nothing that can be done. Love Leon like every day is the last and know that he will be forever greatful that you gave him the best years ever!! Play with him and let him hog the bed and kidney bean when you walk into the house; walk him and toss the ball. You never know, he may surprise you and become an old man!! Take care, I feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,359 times
Hello again, I just responded to your sad story with my own about Harley the boxer pup. I wanted to clarify that in no way should you stray away from Medical attention. All diagnosis' are different. Our boxer was in pretty deep...and our method was completly just what we decided. Med's may help! Do what you think is best for Leon!

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:42 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,906 times
Good thoughts and prayers coming your way. Our furry friends mean so very much to us.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
I know you posted this a while ago, however, I just came across it on the web, while I was doing my own research for Boxer Cardiomyopathy for my 10 year old boxer, Bentley. If you are still on here, I would love to talk to you about Leon and what all has happened.
Thanks!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
I have a 10 year old Boxer on Sotalol 80 mg. He fainted about a year ago & has been on the medication since then.He is my best friend like all Boxers are!!! They have a short life 8 to 10 years.Just hug him & show him how much you love him.(NIKKO) I hope the best for you & Leon. johnsantora@comcast.net

Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM

292 posts, read 1,066,317 times
I know this is an old thread, my Hanna had Cardiomyopathy. Had her on meds once the fainting got worse which gave her a few more months. Just thinking of her brings tears to my eyes. If you have a Boxer with this, just love on them all the time. She was 10 when she went to the Rainbow Bridge.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 959 times
I am wondering how Leon is doing. I realize it has been some time this this was posted.

I have a Boxer just diagnosed with this and who is also taking Sotalol. Tula, also has cancer. She is being treated holisically. I am concerned about the possible interactions with her supplements and Sotalol.

Does anyone have a boxer who takes herbs, vitamins, etc and also Sotalol?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 956 times
With regard to the cardiomyopathy posts: Our dear sweet boxer boy, Benny, was diagnosed with this some years ago. He would just fall over and eventually would get up a bit dazed and go on being his silly energetic self. Finally we faced up and had him checked and it was cardiomyopathy. We tried everything. . . . including special diets, pills, etc. One night he just dropped and didn't come back to life for us! Needless to say, we were devastated.

I am not an extremely religious person, but I do have faith in God. Late one night while half asleep, I heard the words clear as a bell . . ."God gives boxers cardiomyopathy so that he can take them quickly and without pain when they are needed somewhere else!" Well, that made some sense.

So if your boy is suffering with cancer, love him up and take good care as you find one day that the cardiomyopathy could be a blessing in disguise. My heart is with you.

PS. We now have a big boxer boy named Sam now who is the light in our lives! He's our 6th boxer over these last 32 years!

Old 03-15-2016, 02:22 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
The OP was years ago, but I just want to remind people to take the dog to a canine cardiologist and don't rely on their general practice vet. There is another medical problem with boxers that causes fainting with exercise that is not the heart. It is something to do with the airway passages. I'm pretty sure it is unique to boxers.

Sorry, I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. Not my breed, so I heard about it from boxer people but just stored it as general knowledge, nothing to do with me and mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs