U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 PM

6,907 posts, read 11,277,558 times

Advertisements

Jackson is a 6 year old Queensland Heeler(blue) and for the past 3 weeks he has been coughing up clear mucus, gooey-like, and is retching. His eyes look droopy. He still has all the energy he had before, except at night, he is restless, can't sleep well, and brings up the mucus. We have tried the pepto bismo, the robitussin, and the rice-chicken diet and none has worked. The other doggie is fine. He has all his shots, including Bordatella and hasn't been around any strange dogs for 6 months. His food is the same (except for the rice we tried for a week) and he is drinking water as usual. Has anyone else had this strange illness and can tell us what it is???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,021,274 times
Why don't you take him to the vet?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,114,122 times
Sounds like he has Canine Chronic Bronchitis. Sounds like he needs to see a vet, pronto!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 PM

8,307 posts, read 37,735,432 times
I agree that this probably requires a veterinary opinion but it could be an allergy. Dogs can have sensitivity to pollens, dust, cats, etc. etc.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,967,946 times
He's got something - it sounds a lot like kennel cough.

You need to take him to a vet!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:14 PM

5,499 posts, read 21,805,528 times
If it's been going on for three weeks, I'd say go to the vet.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 PM

6,907 posts, read 11,277,558 times
OK, so we took him to the vet. The vet doesn't know. She said it could be kennel cough, but she didn't think so. She said he could have acid stomach, but she wasn't sure. She said it might be a seasonal allergy. Or it could be Valley Fever. This is why I try to figure out these things ahead of time and try my own remedies. So, we paid the bill and got antibiotics and went to Walgreens to get Pepcid AC. Its hard to save money when its someone(a doggie) in your family.....

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 PM

1,478 posts, read 7,703,814 times
Blood tests and X-rays can help diagnose Valley Fever. If the vet thought your dog might have pulmonary VF and didn't do either, I'd ask why. Valley Fever can be, and often is, fatal if not treated properly.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,368,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK, so we took him to the vet. The vet doesn't know. She said it could be kennel cough, but she didn't think so. She said he could have acid stomach, but she wasn't sure. She said it might be a seasonal allergy. Or it could be Valley Fever. This is why I try to figure out these things ahead of time and try my own remedies. So, we paid the bill and got antibiotics and went to Walgreens to get Pepcid AC. Its hard to save money when its someone(a doggie) in your family.....
Our Papillion has the same thing and it is acid stomach. We have to give her one fourth of a pepcid every night and something to eat like a milkbone or any treat before she goes to sleep. She has had no problems for two years now.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,795,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Did your vet take blood tests and urine sample and stool sample? If so did you get results.

IMO the vet has too many could be's and might be's.

usually a pet is given pepcid when it is taking a precribed medicine from the vet, some presribed meds cause stomach upsets which the vet usually will give you the pepcid or will give by injection.

If this does not clear up, I would go to another vet. Hope this helps some. Hope your pet is better today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs