Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
They are outside and fully contained during the day while I am at work. I'm not denying that they bark, I just am unsure how to stop it. I would prefer to find a way to still allow them to run and play outside while I'm at work.
In all honesty, I think you need to show a little more compassion for your neighbors. If the dogs bark, it is really unfair for you to leave them outside all day where it interferes with the peace and quiet of the neighborhood.

More than one person has complained and even the dog person said the dogs were barking up a storm when she came by. Whether or not the dogs are barking at night, is really not the main issue.

Sounds like you need to leave the dogs inside during the day and close the windows. The dogs will sleep and be quiet and then you can take them on a long walk when you get home. It's an easy solution to the problem. I don't know why you want to set up webcams and all that. Just apologize to the neighbors and tell them you'll try harder. You don't want to get into an argument with neighbors over silly stuff like this. Have respect for them, and they'll go easier on you.

You don't want this to end with someone pouring antifreeze in the back yard, god forbid.

Woofers

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 12-13-2008 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Do they bark during the day while outside when you are home? That should tell you if it is your dogs or another neighbors.

I can sympathize with you. My neighbor called AC on my dogs saying they barked all day and woke her husband up at night. I am at home all day and I never leave them outside when I am gone. They do go out during the day and if they do bark I bring them right in. I won't say they don't bark ever but not all day and never at night because they are inside. I was lucky because my other neighbors called to tell the AC that my dogs do not bark all day and never at night. I also had a few choice words with my neighbor for lying.

Good luck.. I know how you feel.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:52 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
I would keep them in the house all day. I am sure they will be fine. I have two Rottweilers that stay in all day if noone is home. Never had one problem. When I am home I let them outside for awhile and if they bark when someone walks down the sidewalk I tell them to be quiet when I am out there.
And look at it this way, if a thief is checking your house out and the dogs are not outside he will move on. I was robbed years ago so I always think like a thief and not had a problem since then.
Good Luck

Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Crating them would depend on their behavior inside. If you don't trust them inside if you're not home, the answer is simple. Of course they need exercise, they're large active young dogs, take them jogging or play ball w/ them before you leave, you can't really leave them alone outside and hope for the best, understandably they bark and need more structure would take them for a walk before you leave and again when you come home (at the very least).

When we had large dogs, while they loved going outside, they were inside dogs and did just fine, I just wouldn't be comfortable leaving them unattended for hours on end, too much can happen. Now we have smaller dogs who also spend the vast majority of their time inside. They do go outside occasionally and will excitedly race around and bark, dogs are dogs but it is annoying (not only to neighbors, dog-friendly and not, but also to ourselves) and we do our best to keep the peace (and thankfully, so do our neighbors).

Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I would have turned you in, too. It's obnoxious to leave your dogs outside all day without supervision - plus, it's not safe for the dogs. Put 'em inside and your troubles are over.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Its not obnoxious to leave your animals outside all day. She said they are in a proper fenced in yard. No matter if they are in the house or the yard there are dangers to the dogs. Its not a big deal to kick in a door vs climb in a back yard. The OP asked or advice, not to be chastised for doing what she feels is right.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Try leaving them alone inside on Sunday for a while, like going to church or the grocery, or Sunday dinner, and see what happens. You can crate them if there's a mess. I don't crate and I have a 1 y/o pitbull. He's VERY active but he just annoys the older dogs and then they all sleep for a while.

I am retired so I am home most of the time and I know what they do. I also go out with them as I have more than the limit here and I don't want any trouble about barking. Anything can happen, inside or out, but I think the chances of something bad happening inside are less than if they were outside.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
If I chose to keep them inside..... should I crate them?? and if I crate them, am I causing any extra problems with the lack of exercise during the day? Or if I decide to let them roam the house, what is the best way to ease them (and me) into this? We've never left them in the house before.

The more and more I think about it, the better it is to have them in the house, especially with the weather being soooo cold.
I think this is the best idea too! Safer. Some people will do whatever they can to hurt dogs.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:05 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
I think this is the best idea too! Safer. Some people will do whatever they can to hurt dogs.
Keeping boxers outside all day up near the Canadian border is cruel. I just googled where the OP lives; holy crap! What are ya thinkin? They have no undercoat like a rottie. People, please do a little research on your breed!

Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 AM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
I agree, the dogs should be kept inside when you're not home. I also agree that it would be best to give it a trial run on the weekend, by leaving them inside and you leave for a couple of hours...if there's a problem, then crating them is the obvious solution. It's been suggested (which was excellent) that you take them for a good walk before you leave (I do it with mine, and they stay inside all day) and again when you get home. I also agree that they shouldn't be left outside, especially in such cold temps.

I have issue with anyone that leaves their dogs outside and barking all the time...I have a neighbor who allows theirs to do that, and even during the day, it's quite annoying and rude to anyone that has to deal with hearing it. Mutual respect goes a long way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs