Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,645,708 times

Advertisements

The Nebraska Humane Society is offering good citizen classes for pit bulls to allow owners to comply with Omaha's new muzzle law.

The Omaha ordinance, which takes effect in January, requires all pit bulls in the city to be muzzled in public unless they pass a canine good citizen test, KETV in Omaha, reported Thursday.

Pit bulls take classes to avoid muzzles - Oddities - redOrbit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,422,783 times
Rediculous. They have that law in Ireland too and it is not enforced by AC or any police.
The dog on the leash is not the dangerous one, its the dog running around under no control. But whatever makes them feel like they are protecting the people I guess.

BTW, Irelands muzzle law includes GSD's and several other breeds. We were walking a GSD with my friend and got jumped by some X breed and the GSD got hurt pretty good. Some nice pucture wounds in the head.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,055,727 times
If muzzles protect your dog from death by euthanization I think they're a great idea.

Generally, these new laws are written so that towns can win convictions and be able to get rid of "problem" animals. I would rather have a dog in a muzzle when someone's unleashed dog comes running up than not. At least then when it goes to court, you've got that in your favor.

The Canine Good Citizen Test is a good thing. But, when you put it into the context of this situation there are many aspects of it that I would be concerned about.
For instance, what if someone's dog doesn't pass it? Do you think that the Humane Society is cooperating with local officials in regards to assessing people's dogs?

If there ever is a problem, I wonder if these records would be called into court?

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,209,346 times
I think that it's a great idea and one that should be expanded to more dogs, if not all of them, not just pit bulls. Sure a dog on a leash aren't dangerous, but there is always a chance that a pet can get loose. Sh*t happens. Someone trips and lets go of the leash etc...

Dog ownership isn't a right, it's a privilege. I'm 50 years old, and when I was in college, the drinking age was 18 and I could rent a car easily. The special back then was $199.95 a day with a college ID. Now the drinking age is 21 and you have to be 25 or older to rent a car. Back then, I was also able to own a car because in RI, having car insurance wasn't mandatory. But what happened over the years was irresponsible people ruining the system for the rest of us AND the population of humans becoming a lot denser. The more crowded and densely populated our country becomes, the more issues and bad situations with irresponsible people.

Moving towards making all dog owners train and socialize their dogs is a good thing. It's one way to avoid those bad dog owners who get a dog as some sort of fashion or thug accessory. And I also think that all dogs should be spayed and neutered unless that dog owner applies for an exemption. No, AC doesn't have the manpower or the funding to enforced every infraction but it's a start. And more people need to drop a dime on those breaking the law. We can't just wait for the authorities to do all the work. If it matters to us, we have to get involved. I think that Nebraska is on the right track. Just like the police can't catch every unlicensed or unregistered driver, or every driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs. But it's a start. I don't think that any law is ever going to be 100% complied with, but if the majority of people will obey them, then we can all still have a decent quality of life in our country.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,055,727 times
Training and socialization is a must. I'm just looking at this situation.

If I were one of these dog owners, I'd want my dog to be really well socialized and prepared for the test before going in.

and, btw,... All of you people who are advocates for more laws seem to assume that the legal system is fair and that the rights of the innocent will be protected.
That is simply not the way things are in the real world of dog law.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2008 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 AM

Moderator cut: referenced deleted post
Trust me folks, as coming from somewhere where they have this law it DOES NOT WORK. As I said, AC and cops will not enforce it as it is unworkable. I would love to see the court case of me walking my Staff there muzzled and we get attacked by a Lab or whatever and I get bitten with good damage. Who to sue, the dog owner and the local Gov that put me in that situation ? Lots of damages I think.

Last edited by leorah; 12-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: referenced deleted post

Old 12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,209,346 times
I see nothing wrong with trying to raise the standards of dog ownership. I don't see how being made have ones (large) dog pass the Good Canine Citizen test is in any way shape or form inhibiting your dog ownership. If I want to drive on the public roads, then I of course need to be able to pass a drivers test and get my drivers license. And I understand why I also need to have insurance on my cars. Having insurance is not admitting that I'm a bad driver, but in life, expect the unexpected.

And that Good Canine Citizen test is not that demanding a list of things anyone's dog should be able to do or act. What I'd like to see is that the dogs get a tag for their collars, and the owners carry around a certificate of ownership and having passed the test I even think that the dog owner's picture should be on the certificate too. And the cops and AC officers should be allowed to stop anyone walking their dog and ask them for their documentation. If the owner and/or dog doesn't have their documentation, then the human gets issued a violation or the dog can be taken away from the owner until he makes arrangements to take the training course.

I was watching Animal Cops: Detroit last night. The AC officers got a call about dogs fighting in the street. They missed the fight, but were able to find three dogs being walked along the streets nearby and it was clear that the dogs had been fighting. All of the guys walking the dogs denied owning them. Their dogs were taken away from them. One of the dogs was torn up pretty bad. All the dogs still were willing to fight each other. That whole segment made me mad and sick to my stomach. But I believe that the AC officers did the right thing. And it's amazing how quickly and easily people lie just to save their own butt.

Anyway, we all know how expensive it is to own a dog properly. The cost of training a dog to pass the Good Canine Citizen test is negligible compared to what we feed them and the vet bills. We shouldn't try to cheap out over something like this.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nope totally ignorant---- just know how to be attacked by a vicioius dog. its easy just mind your own business or show up at the idiots home who invited you there with his dog on the property. last thing i remember saying was nice doggy and extending my hand for him to smell.
You just said people get Pits so they can bite people! That is a totally ignorant comment. I have been bitten by Lassie (cant remember that breed off hand :P,) a small dog and a lab in my life time but I put it down to THAT dog and THEIR owner and nothing else. I am not going to generalise.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I see nothing wrong with trying to raise the standards of dog ownership. I don't see how being made have ones (large) dog pass the Good Canine Citizen test is in any way shape or form inhibiting your dog ownership. If I want to drive on the public roads, then I of course need to be able to pass a drivers test and get my drivers license. And I understand why I also need to have insurance on my cars. Having insurance is not admitting that I'm a bad driver, but in life, expect the unexpected.

And that Good Canine Citizen test is not that demanding a list of things anyone's dog should be able to do or act. What I'd like to see is that the dogs get a tag for their collars, and the owners carry around a certificate of ownership and having passed the test I even think that the dog owner's picture should be on the certificate too. And the cops and AC officers should be allowed to stop anyone walking their dog and ask them for their documentation. If the owner and/or dog doesn't have their documentation, then the human gets issued a violation or the dog can be taken away from the owner until he makes arrangements to take the training course.

I was watching Animal Cops: Detroit last night. The AC officers got a call about dogs fighting in the street. They missed the fight, but were able to find three dogs being walked along the streets nearby and it was clear that the dogs had been fighting. All of the guys walking the dogs denied owning them. Their dogs were taken away from them. One of the dogs was torn up pretty bad. All the dogs still were willing to fight each other. That whole segment made me mad and sick to my stomach. But I believe that the AC officers did the right thing. And it's amazing how quickly and easily people lie just to save their own butt.

Anyway, we all know how expensive it is to own a dog properly. The cost of training a dog to pass the Good Canine Citizen test is negligible compared to what we feed them and the vet bills. We shouldn't try to cheap out over something like this.
Good Canine test is actually a great idea Miu I would not argue that with anybody, so long as it is for all dogs and not just a breed or type of dog.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 PM

75 posts, read 379,086 times
I belong to an AKC licensed obedience training club here in Tulsa.(Tulsa Dog Training Clib, www.tulsadogs.com) We offer the CGC 4 times a year after each of our 10 week training sessions. Any dog that can pass our Beginners obedience class can pass the CGC. We have modified the CGC test to include someone in a wheel chair, on crutches and using a walker. While the dog & handler are interacting with these folks, someone drops a 1X8 board to the floor. it's to see how the dogs react to a sudden noise.
We do this because some folks join our Therapy dog group(Paw Pals) and make hospital & nursing home visits.
The CGC is a good place to start. A true Temperment test would be another good thing to have especially if you own a Bully breed dog to document the dog's true temperment.
A well trained & socialized Pit/AmStaff is a wonderful dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs