Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM

35 posts, read 97,215 times

Advertisements

Does anyone own any of these dogs (beagle/bichon combo, beagle/poodle combo, labradoodle) and can weigh in their opinion? We have narrowed it down to the three, and would love to hear from anyone who owns any of these and how they did from an allergy and kid perspective. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,205,251 times
If you're ruling out allergies, you probably need to rule out a Beagle and stick w/ nonshedding dogs.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,356,140 times
I agree w/ kahskye, you don't know that a non-shedding puppy mixed w/ beagle or labrador or any other typical shedding breed won't shed. If allergies are a primary concern, would look for a full poodle, bichon, shih-tzu, portuguese water dog etc, would stay away from mixes b/c there's too much unknown insofar as allergies, shedding etc.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,657,942 times
Default Allergies

We have a pure bred Bichon. I hate dog hair after growing up with Brittanies. One of my friends has a child and a husband that are allergic to dogs. They have a horrible time around our Bichon (it's only gotten worse since we added a Havanese to the mix). Even so called hypo allergenic dogs can cause people with allergies problems.

BTW, our Bichon is amazing with our children. She came first and she's now 7 and the children are 5 and almost 4. She has been so kind and gentle. I was a bit worried because I've heard not all Bichons like children.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 PM

321 posts, read 1,550,666 times
Don't go with a mix if allergies are a concern. There's a very good chance you'll get one that does aggravate allergies. Stick with the poodle, any of 3 sizes, or something similar.

My brother has a son with allergies, and they have a mini Poodle and a Havanese, and have no problems at all. Both dogs came from good breeders.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,526,697 times
Beagles are notorious for following smells right out of the yard and across town. They can be a handful with their baying, also. Cute as they are, I would not want one, or a mix of one.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,699 times
Default Bischone/beagle

I have bischone/begale(frisbee)I really am so grateful for getting this breed. He is the most loving, smart, was great housebreaking ( never missed pads) excellent watchdog,loves children and very sociable to meet people very very little shedding , need I say more breeder said he's so lovable and she was so right loves play learn new tricks and he's like talking to a human listens excellent I wish I could find another one, his best friend had go to the rainbow bridge (she had lymphomia) was put/ Shepard a great dog also and my lil guy would love a lil buddy .

Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,699 times
My sister has a mini poodle and she has allergies and there's no problem. I hsve bischone/Begale and to me he's the most loyal and living dog to mankind

Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 AM

729 posts, read 1,495,331 times
Why would you spend good money on a mixed breed? If you want a mix, adopt one from the shelter but please don't give someone good money for creating a "designer" dog. It's a load of crap. There is no standard that they are trying to breed to. At least a good, reputable Beagle breeder is trying to breed a Beagle that has all of the traites and qualitites that make a Beagle a Beagle. With a Beagle/Bichon mix there is nothing they are trying to acheive accept emptying your wallet.

You have to think of the law of genetics. Mix a golden with a poodle and you get 1/3 of the puppies with golden type hair that has been corrupted by a poodle so instead of shedding it mats. 1/3 of the pups will have poodle type hair that was corrupted by a golden and it has the non-shedding poodle coat that only sort of sheds so instead it mats. 1/3 of the pups will resemble neither. They will have their own coat type and only 1/3 of these will actually be the non-shedding coat type you are looking for. All of these dogs are a pain in the rear to groom and as far as health, it's picking up the health issues of both parents so it definitely isn't healthier. Instead there are now even more issues to look out for.

Seriously, don't waste your money on a designer breed. You are just supporting someone who is in it for profit and not for the love of improving dogs. Even the guy who first thought of breeding a golden to a poodle to get a non-shedding assistant dog regrets his decision.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,678,675 times
As other shave pointed out, there is only a partial chance the dog will inherit the non-shed coat.

Read up on Beagle traits and temperament. Yes, they are loving dogs and easy keepers. They are also active, unreliable off leash, will follow their noses, are pack dogs and hate to be alone and need a good bit of exercise. You have no way of knowing which Bichon or Poodle or Beagle traits your new puppy will have until it grows up.

It could have all of the good traits of those breeds, some of the good aspects or all of the negatives. That's what happens when you mix breeds that are so unalike- you never know what you will get.

Don't believe sales hype, that's all it is. If you want the non-shed thought of Bichon or Poodle, either get a Bichon or a Poodle from a reputable breeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs