Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:23 PM

364 posts, read 527,258 times

Advertisements

I am curious to hear from other Shih Tzu owners about some of your dogs traits. My Shih Tzu, Mannie, is 15 lbs which for a female is large I know. She is a ballbuster! She has really climbed the ranks in her pack. When I brought her home a year ago I already had two 14yr old Labs, one 14yr old Cocker Spaniel and one 5yr old very agressive and dominating Chow/Neufland. Now, somehow they are all scared of this little girl! I was scared my labs would want her for lunch as they have always had the hunting instinct. Since then my only other female, the Cocker, has passed. She is left with 3 large brothers.

What type of personality does your Shih Tzu have? How does it get along with other family pets? How much does it weigh?

Feel free to upload any adorable photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 07:43 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
I took in a six year old Shihtzu a couple of years ago because she was being dumped. First of all, I am not a "little dog person" so I was apprehensive about this and did it with the intention of finding her a permanent home. Well, after just two weeks, she felt like she had always been part of the family. Yes, she dominated the rest of the "pack" as well. The Doberman would actually run from her and let her jump up and bite him without doing anything to her. (She was playing, but it looked painful.) She seems very human and seems to strive for it. She seems a bit "high maintenance", but she always seems to make you feel like it is YOUR idea to worship her. I read about these dogs, and it said that they want to be worshipped rather than the other way around, and I'd have to agree. That being said, she is so sweet and loving that you really do not mind giving her that extra attention. She seems to be more distant than other dogs that I've had (like she will sometimes sit in another room away from us); however, anyone can approach her at anytime, and she is ready to be picked up, petted, play, whatever you want. She is consistently waiting for us at the door and wagging her tail when we get home. The only sadness that I have had with regard to her - and it is more about compassion toward her - is that she must have had a very bad grooming experience because whenever I bathe her, she fights me concerning the necessary cleaning and maintenance of eyes, face, and nails. I used to fight with her pretty hard in an effort to make her look nice; however, at some point, it just broke my heart when I realized that she didn't understand what was going on and probably wondered why I am being so mean to her. She was terrified and fighting me while I was being rough with her, and yet, while she could have used her teeth on me, she never did. It just never occurred to this sweet, loving, and loyal dog to hurt me even when she thought I was hurting her. This just broke my heart, and so I have just lightened up concerning her grooming and keep her hair short and clean. That is the only goal now.

She is aging now, and she can only see some light or shadows from time to time, but she is pretty much blind. However, she is still the happy-go-lucky loving dog that she always was. We are mindful of this and do not rearrange furniture or leave things around that could hinder her. I dread the day when her health fails, or she becomes completely withdrawn and is no longer happy because this little dog has become a BIG part of our family, and there will be a big hole in our lives where Little Dog once was.

I am a "big dog person", but I will forever remember Little Dog with the Big Heart.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
We have a Shih Tzu that is about 6-7 months old. She's a firecracker, but she's not dominant. We specifically picked a non-dominant female because we have young children and didn't want her being aggressive with them. Bella is a sweetheart - she plays rough with our other 2 cocker spaniels, but cozies up the kids with no problem.

She's so goofy looking with her tongue hanging out of her mouth almost all the time.

The only problem we have with her, is that she likes to eat ****! Ugh...

Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 AM

FtMyers-
So much of what you say sounds like my little firecracker. And my entire family worships her. We sometimes try to stop ourselves because she gets so much more attention then my other large dogs who have been with me through thick and thin over a decade.

I'm so sorry to hear about the sight problem. I understand that. My best fur-kid of my life Comet, passed away Jan. 8th. I got her when I was a kid and love her more then anything. I am still in shock she is not here. She had been healthy all her life, up until her last 48 hrs. She was basically blind for her last year and we did the same as you. Kept things in the same place and free of clutter. I felt guilty when I brought my Shih Tzu home. That was last April. I boarded my entire gang over Christmas week. My vet told me Comet was so protective of my puppy. A couple weeks later when she passed that comment meant so much because now I feel she does not hate me for brining in another female. Tuesday morning I brought her into the vet because she was having trouble breathing. They put her on fluids and by the afternoon they said she was improving. The next day we got the blood work back to reveal she had extreme kidney failor. She passed that afternoon. It was so fast. I can't believe she is not here and wish I would not have drolled so much over the new puppy. I have a hole in my life now.

Jenbar-
Mine enjoys eating stool as well. Vet says it's a breed thing. I just say it's really gross and no kisses for 24 hours!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
P o o p is filtered out?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Mine also has the same appetite. She treats the kitty litter box like a salad bar!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:38 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
The older my sister's Shihtzu got the nuttier she got. Down right honnery. I'd go as far as saying demonic.
Poo to dogs (of all breeds) is like a snickers bar to us humans! They especially love cat poo because of the food they eat. YUK!

Trivia: Did you know that there are holy men in India that eat their own poo. Now that completely growses me out

Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,445 times
We had to put ours up for adoption, cutest thing but he was just a pain, housebroken but not all the time, always barked when you were on the phone. He was 4 and 15lbs. we had thim since a pup.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 AM

Mine will bark, too, to get her way, and she will not give up, but it is so hard to stay mad at her - - that face and those eyes. Just so good-natured. However, she has from time to time also just gone inside the house without warning or apology. I thought all little dogs are difficult to fully housetrain? And yes, I can find her very demanding from time to time, but we tolerate her quirks because she so clearly loves us and is so very loyal to us in every situation.

I'm sorry that you had to give yours up. It is a sad story.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Mine will bark, too, to get her way, and she will not give up, but it is so hard to stay mad at her - - that face and those eyes. Just so good-natured. However, she has from time to time also just gone inside the house without warning or apology. I thought all little dogs are difficult to fully housetrain? And yes, I can find her very demanding from time to time, but we tolerate her quirks because she so clearly loves us and is so very loyal to us in every situation.

I'm sorry that you had to give yours up. It is a sad story.
Yep... those eyes! They look so human to me. My little girl looks like a little person to me. But I imagine everyone in love with there dogs feels that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs