Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

have a website or email for REPUTABLE, not back yard , lab breeders in the NJ/NY area please send me a dm

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Look at www.infodogs.com, which is a site for people who show dogs. You can find shows in your area, then GO TO THE SHOW!!! It's actually a lot of fun.

Talk to the handlers (AFTER the lab class, of course, not when they're waiting to go into the ring) and ask about litters. THESE are the reputable breeders, who are breeding to improve the breed and not their bank accounts.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,557,066 times
So glad to hear you're planning on getting your dog from a reputable breeder. Labs are everywhere, and it can take some digging.

I agree with going to the shows, but what type of Lab are you looking for? I'm sure you're aware that field lines and show lines are almost like two separate breeds, though I highly commend the (few) breeders who are trying to do both.

If you're interested in a field type, go to the Retriever Training Forums (google it) and ask your questions. It is a very busy and very knowledgeable group. They also have classified ads.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Thank you both as I have no idea..now if it were a bulldog..lol
Dog will be a gift for my son...who is 34..he & wife bought their own home and would like a Yellow lab as pet only but I still want one coming from someone who knows what they are doing

Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
There is a thread here on City-Data with info on how to find a good breeder: //www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-breeders.html.

For a referral to a reputable breeder in your area, check the Labrador Retriever Club of America's website. They are the national breed organization and they maintain a list of quality breeders:
Find a Breeder - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

I understand you wish to purchase a pup from a breeder, but Rescue is also a great way to get a dog and save a life at the same time. There are young dogs in rescue, and unlike getting a pup, with an older dog you know what you are getting. The Labrador Club also maintains a rescue referral page on their website: Find a Group - The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I just want to add one thing:

Dogs are not appropriate as Christmas/holiday gifts. PLEASE!!!

I work in pug rescue and every year we see pugs being surrendered because they were 'surprises' for people who didn't want a dog. Or, worse, we hear about a puppy given on Christmas only to be seriously ill because in the commotion of the gift giving the little guy got into something he shouldn't have and has to be rushed to the emergency vet and the new owners can't afford the surgery to save its life.

The holidays are so hectic that, in all fairness, most families don't have the time during all the back and forth to provide the care and attention that a little puppy needs and deserves.

Many reputable breeders won't give up pups until after the holidays, knowing what happens so often to pups at Christmas. Plus, there's no guarantee that a pup will be ready for its new home just at Christmas.

PLEASE consider giving a coupon at the hoildays, in a beautiful envelope, 'Good for one Labrador Retriever.' Everyone will benefit, including the new family member!

Thanks so much.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,153 times
I would second the coupon idea for an additional reason (I don't belive the dog was to be a Christmas gift?). I think it's important to let the owners pick (or be picked) their new family member. After my last dog died, my husband thought he would surprise me with another dog. luckily when he went out to see some dogs needing a good home, he didn't really bond with any of them and came back to tell me about it. Thankfully he didn't come back with one of the dogs. We went to a shelter and we both picked out a dog we liked and who to liked us.

I also think rescues can be great options. My sister had a yellow lab she purchased from a breeder. The dog was great. She has also adopted labs from rescues and has done well with them too. I can tell you that she found the adults easier then the puppy - this may be something to consider if both are working.

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thank you both as I have no idea..now if it were a bulldog..lol
Dog will be a gift for my son...who is 34..he & wife bought their own home and would like a Yellow lab as pet only but I still want one coming from someone who knows what they are doing
Agreed re: breeders knowing what they're doing. Make sure you visit the breeder's facilities and meet with the parents on more than one occasion before you select a puppy. That will tell you a lot. I would caution that buying a dog based on a time-frame (e.g. Christmas) is really rolling the dice. It's best to take your time doing your doggie due diligence. I wish I could be of more assistance in that part of the country. I hope that this isn't patronizing, but be sure your son and DIL are really prepared for a big, high-energy dog.

If you are just looking for a pet you may want to shy away from working lines. Labs have a tendency towards apesh*ttiness in general, but the hunting dogs tend to be of a much higher "octane rating" than the show lines and they really are not happy if they don't have a job, which is to say that if you don't hunt them they will be miserable and the dog may just decide that his or her job is general home demolition.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Agreed re: breeders knowing what they're doing. Make sure you visit the breeder's facilities and meet with the parents on more than one occasion before you select a puppy. That will tell you a lot. I wish I could be of more assistance in that part of the country. I hope that this isn't patronizing, but be sure your son and DIL are really prepared for a big, high-energy dog.

If you are just looking for a pet you may want to shy away from working lines. Labs have a tendency towards apesh*ttiness in general, but the hunting dogs tend to be of a much higher "octane rating" than the show lines and they really are not happy if they don't have a job, which is to say that if you don't hunt them they will be miserable and the dog may just decide that his or her job is general home demolition.

LOL - I second that! Labs are eating and chewing machines! I have heard the stories of bored Labs, and it's not pretty! BTW they mature late - like 3-4-5 years old before they start to settle, and a field dog? Well, I hope someone is a runner and swimmer in the family .

Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 AM

Ok to clarify, the gift is for someone who will be turning 35 in February. His wife had Labs growing up and her Mom still has two, unfortunately her choice in breeder didn't make the cut imo..
Of course I would let them pick their pup, I work in Bull Dog rescue, and want to make sure they go through a reputable breeder, seen to many dogs badly bred just for $$$$

No where did I say it was a Christmas present, just a present...

I mentioned rescue to them, but they feel most dogs in rescue are there because of problems..I'm still working on this as many are in rescue now because people can no longer afford the expense of taking care of a dog

Thanks for all the suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs