Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:20 PM

325 posts, read 227,159 times

Advertisements

I don't know if you're talking about me but why even post that when people are just trying to get legit advice I do not even know what the rep score even means but I am a well educated person for your info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 01:40 AM

9 posts, read 7,442 times
One more thing if he has room to pee and poop on one end of his crate and lie down on the other side, the crate is too big for training. Put a basketball or other size ball in there to make it smaller while he is this size and keep him on strict eating and drinking schedule

Old 09-10-2016, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 576 times
I recently bought my puppy from a pet store where he was in a big pen with a couple of other dogs so he was used to peeing and pooping where he slept. He just turned 6 mos old on Sept 8. We had a canvas carry crate which we decided to put him in to go to the bathroom and he does. But I think he thinks it's also ok to do the same in his sleeping crate because he walked into it today and peed. How can I get him to differentiate between the two crates? He won't go on the grass yet. What should we do? Please help?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,386,684 times
I think the fastest solution would be to train him to go outside.

You will need to plan a time when you can devote most of your day or couple of days to watching him like a hawk and taking him out every 2-3 hours depending how often he goes.

Buy food treats. I used those tiny little liver treats.

You need to set up all the conditions to catch him doing it right, give him the food treat while making an idiot out of yourself praising the heck out of him. You also need to tie a command to it....like "go potty" when you take him out and make it impossible for him to pee inside. That means restricting him even if you have to put him on a leash beside you and/or restricting his water once he has some until he pees, as well as scooping him up and taking him out if he makes signs he needs to go like trying to head to the crate.

Maybe I just got lucky, but my dog learned to go outside after two times using the treat method. After that, sometimes he got the treat, sometimes not, but he always got the praise. If I told him "go potty", he would even squat to pee when I don't think he really needed to in order to get the treat.

Once it works and he starts going to the door or giving some other signal that he wants to go out, don't give him the treat all the time or if he really wants those treats he will pester you to go out just for the treat.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,789,371 times
witout reading the thread...
1: feeding should be 3 times daily until about 6 months. (prevents blood sugar drops and gorging.
2: peeing and pooping in the crate means 2 thigns, 2 long between potty breaks and the crate is too large.
step 1: smaller crate (or a crate divider) his space should be JUST big enough to stand upl turn around and lay down comfortably...
step 2: alarm clock, set it and take him out every 30 mins to start with whenever you are home...
at 3 months old he can hold his bladded up to 3 hours. BUT...he has to learn how first...you don't expect a toddler to go form diapers to being able to magically hold it right away, they need to learn how to control the muscles.
so take him out every 30 mins, praise like crazy when he goes, if he doesn't go bring him in and watch him like a hawk for ANY sighsn of "i need to go" (circling, pacing sniffing panting, ect)
once hes consistenly going outside with no accidents every 30 mins, increase to every 45, then every hour, then every 1:15 ect ect ect, don't increase time until hes consistently going accident free, if he has an accident go back to the last time frame he did well on for a few more days...this teaches him the muscle control needed to "hold it"...once hes learnt the muscle control the GENERAL rule of thumb is 1 hour for each month of age up to 8 hours MAX (though for bladder health its not uggested to force a dog to hold it more than 6 hours and less for toy breeds)

Old 09-11-2016, 12:08 PM

32,514 posts, read 47,553,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
....... My pup is 3 mos old. I am trying to crate train him to NO avail!! He will pee/poop in his crate!! ....... He will whine, scratch, whine some more, yelp, bark, .......
I hope OP has this problem solved by now.

The crate training thing with a young pup: sometimes you have to just let them cry it out. The rule in my household is no one gets rewarded for screaming, so as long as there is noise, the pup must stay in the crate. Release only happens when the pup is calm and quiet. It doesn't take them long to figure it out. Pensive is 15 weeks old and when she wants out of her kennel, she sits. Her front paws dance up and down, but she sits and is quiet, hope in her eyes, and then I will let her out and praise her. Screaming and jumping on the door doesn't work so she gave that up.

I feed in her "crate" which is an exercise pen with a dog door to a secure outdoor kennel. She watches her dinner being measured out and then she runs to her kennel and sits, eagerly awaiting her food. The command "kennel" is given as she approaches the kennel and she understands that "kennel" means that she is to go into her kennel.

There is a good bed in there and she will go in on her own to sleep or chew a chewie, although she will only do that if I am close by because she wants to be wherever I am.

Young pups don't have good control over their functions and they must be taken out often and praised for performing. One thing that helps immensely is to not take them in immediately after they relieve themselves. They want to explore and play, so give them time to explore and play. If you take them in immediately, they will learn to hold it when they go outside so that they can explore a bit.

When I take the pup out, I walk around the yard and the pup will follow me. At some point, she will relieve herself and I can praise her. Then we walk around and play a little bit more.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:40 PM

758 posts, read 849,025 times
His crate is too big. No animal will defecate where he "lives" unless there is room. Get a smaller crate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs