Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 18,773 times

Advertisements

Hello all...
on the 28th I adopted an 11 month old lab mix from the pound. She had kennel cough so I took her to the vet. She had a low grade temp and the doc gave her a shot and put her on antibiotics. She is very lethargic, does not eat and drinks very little on her own. I took her back after the week on the meds and same thing, still had a temp, still not eating or drinking much. The doc said it was an infection, gave her another shot and put her on an IV for a day to get her fluids back. She came home and obviously felt better. she was prescribed a higher level of antibiotics, but the next day, still doesn't eat/drink much. I started force feeding her, (not a very pleasant experience for either of us), and forcing fluids.
I see this as a nesasary evil. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't have the strength to get better, right? I called the shelter where I got her and told them of the problem. They gave me the option of brining her back and they would isolate her, but not treat her. If I gave her back, they would put her down if not readopted. This is not an option to me. I could take her to another Vet, but I have already spent money I don't have to get her this far. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,872,139 times
Did she ever eat/drink a "normal" amount, since you adopted her on the 28th?

I'm asking this because, aside from the fever/infection, maybe she's just not yet acclimated to her surroundings and is still a bit stressed? I know that when my dog is stressed out, he doesn't eat or drink either.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,009,542 times
When I adopted my 5 month old Lab puppy from the pound he came home sick with a bacterial infection that they get there. He had to take some strong antibiotics for about 10 days. Like you, there was no way I was going to bring him back. I knew what the outcome would be for him.

Just like with us, strong antibiotics can really mess up your stomach. Especially if they're taken on an empty stomach.

Have you discussed all of this with the vet ???

Your vet has easy to digest perscription diet canned foods that you may want to invest in for the short term.

A dog can become dehydrated quickly without food and water.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 AM

thanks for the posts...
in answer to DandJ... no she has never eaten a normal amount, but she is acclimated. She is very sweet and follows me around like my shadow. In fact she is resting her head on my knee as I type. As to World Citizen, yes, I have discussed and they offered another trip in, more IV's to keep her fluids up but at $100.00 a day, I don't see that as a viable option.
She can't seem to smell her food according to the vet and that's why she is not eating. So a different diet would just be more of the list of things, (including steak, hot dogs, chicken, etc.) she won't eat. Thank you for the posts and ideas.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Is her nose stopped up???

My dog had a bacterial infection that the pound called "snot nose"... (really)

Another trip in on IV fluids may be a good thing so that she stays hydrated long enough to allow the antibiotics to work and to get her eating.

I know it's expensive but the fluids will help her to feel better -- enough to eat. Did she eat while at the vets before?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:56 AM

no, didn't eat at the vets either. Yes, she does have a snotty nose. sounds like you nailed that. another trip will be an option next payday, but that is about a week away.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Are her eyes crusty? Having a temperature is why I ask that question...
My dog did not have a temperature with his snot nose.

Has the dog had his puppy shots?

I would talk to my vet about it.
If they think it will help, ask if you can pay in a week when you get paid....

I really wouldn't wait that long if your dog is not eating or drinking.
Your dog could be really dehydrated by then.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-09-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,872,139 times
I'm happy that you're together and loving each other during this sickly time for her.

Keep us posted after your next vet visit. We'd love to hear that she's happy and healthy and eating.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 AM

106 posts, read 438,989 times
I may be totally off base here, but have you talked to your vet about letting you (and showing you how to adminster sub q fluids at home? It's not hard, and if she has/had kennel cough, her throat could be quite raw and irritated from that making it hard for her to eat/drink/swallow. Good luck with her, I wish you the best in recovery!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof11 View Post
I may be totally off base here, but have you talked to your vet about letting you (and showing you how to adminster sub q fluids at home? It's not hard, and if she has/had kennel cough, her throat could be quite raw and irritated from that making it hard for her to eat/drink/swallow. Good luck with her, I wish you the best in recovery!
That's a really good idea!

Shadow and I are also wishing her a fast recovery. Hang in there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs