U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM

83 posts, read 118,472 times

Advertisements

We have an almost 2 year old dog and we are thinking of getting a second dog. We've been looking at petfinder and our local shelters but haven't found the right one yet.

We crate trained our first dog and he was good at it. Now he doesn't need to be left in his crate anymore while we are away. I was wondering if we do add a second dog to our family, how do we crate train her/him? Should we crate our first dog too while we are away? Or leave our first dog out and just crate the second dog? Also about sleeping arrangement. Our dog sleeps with us in our bedroom. Should we continue with this, or put him also in his crate while the second dog still need to sleep in his crate (in separate crate, of course).

I'm just trying how to figure it all out before we add the second dog.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM

5,499 posts, read 21,637,356 times
Both dogs should go in their own separate crates. Any types of dominance/aggressive issues in multi-dog households can be aggravated by letting dogs sleep on the bed or couches and chairs. You can let the dog on the couch, but only when invited. Those areas are reserved for the pack leader.

Start by putting the new dog in the crate for only a few hours at first. Put a special toy in there, so you can make it a pleasurable experience for the dog. Make sure the dog gets lots of exercise first, so he can go in there and take a nap. Also make sure the crate has ample room to stand up and turn around in.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 AM

4,219 posts, read 14,772,151 times
If the first dog is trustworthy and hasnt been crated for some time, I'd prob. just crate the 2nd dog but I might crate that dog in a different room (in the kitchen or bedroom away from the first dog) when you go out so as not to upset the 2nd dog if it constantly sees the first dog roaming around the house (am thinking it might get frustrated). Would do the same thing for bedtime sleeping, dog #2 needs to earn your trust, it just doesnt seem fair that dog #1 would have to also, all over again. Hopefully both will be fine in your bedroom (w/ #1 uncrated and #2 crated). I know this contradicts what I posted about one crated and one uncrated but #2 may be tired and settle right down, esp. if #1 is on the calm side and settles down quickly in his dog bed (probably a quick walk before bedtime would help, nothing too long as you dont want to overtire them). Would try that for 2-3 nites and if it's not working out, would probably move #2's crate to another room. As #2 gets a bit older and more reliable, would probably 'graduate' him from the crate and would put up a baby gate to keep both in your bedroom at nite so as to prevent any wandering at nite. Hopefully dog #2 will be a quick learner.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 AM

5,499 posts, read 21,637,356 times
Honeycrisp is right. The dogs should be isolated for several days at first...

Old 02-02-2009, 10:18 AM

83 posts, read 118,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
If the first dog is trustworthy and hasnt been crated for some time, I'd prob. just crate the 2nd dog but I might crate that dog in a different room (in the kitchen or bedroom away from the first dog) when you go out so as not to upset the 2nd dog if it constantly sees the first dog roaming around the house (am thinking it might get frustrated). Would do the same thing for bedtime sleeping, dog #2 needs to earn your trust, it just doesnt seem fair that dog #1 would have to also, all over again. Hopefully both will be fine in your bedroom (w/ #1 uncrated and #2 crated). I know this contradicts what I posted about one crated and one uncrated but #2 may be tired and settle right down, esp. if #1 is on the calm side and settles down quickly in his dog bed (probably a quick walk before bedtime would help, nothing too long as you dont want to overtire them). Would try that for 2-3 nites and if it's not working out, would probably move #2's crate to another room. As #2 gets a bit older and more reliable, would probably 'graduate' him from the crate and would put up a baby gate to keep both in your bedroom at nite so as to prevent any wandering at nite. Hopefully dog #2 will be a quick learner.
I don't really want to put #1 back in his crate. But feel bad for dog#2 if he sees dog#1 roaming around freely while he's in his crate.
So your suggestion of putting the dog#2 in a crate but in a separate room while we're away makes total sense. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs