Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 AM

67 posts, read 195,662 times

Advertisements

The problem here is it's my neighbors dog.

Adding to the problem is my neighbor is a really nice person! She has an older GSD who is a great dog. We live on a dead end and can always count on him to let out a few barks when anybody comes up the street.

Unfortunately he's getting up there in years, having difficulty getting around; so his owner, my neighbor (an elderly woman who lives alone) got a new female puppy.

The pup has been here for over a year now. A real sweety when it's inside, kind with my daughter, pretty obedient for a pup.

However, when the dog is outside (fenced, approx 1/2 acre) it barks for HOURS. If the barking cessates for 10 seconds it is a lot.

It's been going on for months, at all hours. It's starting to interfere with my sleeping (why are you letting your dog out at 2am to bark?)

That being said, I love my neighbor; she's a real great lady.

I know GSD are very intelligent. I can tell you, just by observing how she acts outside, that she is bored to tears.

I am going to get some Kong toys for both of them ("sorry, I got these for Xmas and forgot to give them to you") that can be stuffed with cheese or whatever. I think this would be a good stop-gap, but doesn't solve the actual problem.

How would you train a dog that has been barking incessantly for months that it isn't acceptable to bark except when warranted?

Is there anything I can do from the other side of the fence? I would also gladly work with my neighbor training her (and I'm sure she would welcome the help), but again have no idea how to even approach this.

My neighbor had 2 knee replacements, so she's afraid to even put her on a leash because the dog is so strong.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,440,278 times
It's a tricky situation. The Kong idea is great, you can tell her about freezing them w/ lowfat cheesewhiz, peanutbutter or yogurt and they'll keep him busy for a while. But more than that, I have to question why the heck the dog is out at 2AM, that's a bit unreasonable esp. if he's barking his head off, would just be honest and tell her the barking is interfering with your sleeping which is true, I'm sure she'll understand and and as a reasonable neighbor and friend, she'ill want to better the situation (which would annoy anyone). Sounds like the pup could use some structure, can you mention local doggie daycares, maybe he could go once or twice a week, that would keep him busy as he probably needs more exercise than he's getting 'a tired dog is a good dog' - maybe pick up some frisbee's or balls that she could toss him in the yard. Every once in a while they'll be an ad on Craigslist where someone wants a jogging buddy (not to keep, just to borrow, it w/b a win-win situation for both) - of course she'd need references but it might be a good situation for the dog (esp. when spring is around the corner), she could also post something to that effect there or at her vet's etc. Big dogs need a lot of exercise, it's a tough situation as she's elderly and lives alone. At any rate, he should be inside at nite but would also talk to her about the daytime barking too as that can be a nuisance esp. if it's non-stop which it sounds like (it gives me a headache just thinking about it, LOL). I would imagine she'll want to remain good friends with you esp. as far as the dog is concerned, she's prob. not able to take him to the vet etc (I can relate somewhat b/c we have a similar situation w/ an elderly family member who lives alone now, recently widowed, and her big dog but the dog is elderly too now but she still needs help at times but thankfully the dog isn't a big barker and is inside 90% of the time, it's getting the dog to/from the vet that's a bit of a problem (the dog is strong) but it's doable as long as we plan ahead, and she realizes this will be her last dog). Best of luck.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 02-01-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 AM

159 posts, read 322,368 times
I have heard that the citronella sprays work fairly well without hurting the dog. They are rather expensive though I believe. The unit attaches to a collar and when the dog barks the spray is emitted causing a strong oder that the dog does not like. You have to be sure it is not going to spray in the eyes of course.

A trainer once told me to attach a very long piece of rope to my dog and hold the end. When my dog got out to the middle of the yard and began to bark, I was to pull him in NOW..indicating to him if you bark, you come in. This was to be done over and over until he got it. The only problem was, we have many trees and bushes and he got tangled up before I could ever try the experiment! So that didn't work! I had to go out and untangle him every time! Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 AM

257 posts, read 1,015,655 times
she can use a no-pullharness on the dog to walk her. I think the ring attaches to the front of the harness, not on the back like regualr harnesses. or a head halter.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinJudy View Post
she can use a no-pull harness on the dog to walk her. I think the ring attaches to the front of the harness, not on the back like regualr harnesses. or a head halter.
It's hard though, we have an elderly fam. member and her big dog (now a teen) is strong and we're afraid she'd be pulled down just going from the house to the car so in order to take the dog to the vet, she needs to go with someone (she also can't take the dog from the car to the vet once she gets there), at 13 she's not a wild dog but she's already pulled another fam. member down (who was OK but scraped), she just gets excited and happy when going anywhere. Possibly a head harness would work w/ this dog as he's young but there's a trick to putting it on (watched Victoria Stilwell the other day when the owners were shown several times how to put it on their dog but still put it on totally wrong when VS was away and they were on their own), luckily the head harness became a regular collar and the dog didnt get away but still it was scary, thinking what could have happened.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 AM

67 posts, read 195,662 times
Thanks for all the ideas.. Keep em coming.

In the summer she does toss toys around for them. However, she can't do it for hours. Same thing with a walk. I don't think she's ever taken her for a walk, but even if she did I'm thinking maybe 1/4 mile max.

The dog is pretty obedient, not performance level obedience, but will get int he car when told etc (ok, maybe you have to tell her a few times

Again, a good dog. Just bored. I swear by the clicker. I switched my traditionally trained dog to clicker when I wanted to do rally. She caught on real quick and we were ready to compete until she had surgery, which ended that (still with me, just difficult sitting/standing).

I was trying to figure out how you could reward a dog for being quiet. I mean, if the dog stops barking for 10 sec do you run outside and click/treat? Seems logistically impossible.

The rope idea is not bad. I don't know that my neighbor would win if it became a tug-o-war, but she might try it.

I'm also thinking about asking to borrow her dog for rally. Depending on how the matings go I probably won't have a pup until October. I could possibly get in some rally competition before then with her dog. I think she would trust me (and I'm sure come and watch). However, it's a big commitment on my part and GSD is not really my breed-- but I'm thinking about it.

Not sure she would trust anybody she didn't know to handle her dog (jogging etc).

Again, thanks for the ideas.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,219,097 times
So this new female puppy is another GSD? First, she should be left alone outside so much, let alone at 2am. I'd make a call to animal control about this. Secondly, if the owner is that old and frail, she really has no business having a puppy that she can't control all by herself. I understand with her older GSD getting up there in years, she wants a younger dog in the wings, but it's time for her to look at smaller dogs to own, not another large powerful dog. That woman could fall and break her hip owning a young dog like that. It's not a good situation for either your elderly neighbor or the young dog. My suggestion is for her to rehome this puppy and get a much smaller dog instead. Maybe an older dog from a rescue that's been fostered and is already housetrained and knows a few commands.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,502,916 times
GSD? German Shepard Dog?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
GSD? German Shepard Dog?
Yes. Someone asked an elderly relative if she's planning on getting a puppy when her older dog 'goes' and she said 'No' (thank goodness), even w/ the dog she now has, it gets complicated - a puppy would be a totally bad fit anyway and she'd never have the energy to keep up, I guess people just assume that happens (and this other person is up in years too)

Old 02-01-2009, 06:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,467,428 times
I agree with miu -- she should rehome the dog and get a small dog and keep it indoors. She has no business getting a GSD. A dog like that needs a lot of training and a strong pack leader. Poor dog is bored out of its mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs