Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM

25 posts, read 62,842 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the best dog food for a pure bred bloodhound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I think any good dog food should do but if it has citric acid don't add water. Bloodhounds are very prone to bloat so 2 small meals twice a day rather than one big meal. My friend has some working bloodhounds and they are known for eating anything and everything [one bloated after filling up on wood chip mulch]

Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Default BLOODHOUNDS are SWEETHEARTS...

We had a Bloodhound that was a retired sheriff deputy search & rescue.
She was replaced for German Shepards, who can do all jobs.
Our Bloodhound got a disease called "Masticatory Myositis". Any dog can get this, it pertains to the main 3 nerves in the top of the dogs head.
As a dog gets older this can develop. You can usually notice the top of the dogs head change (lack of muscle tone) Almost looks sunken in.
The nerve that was affected was the one that holds the mouth shut.
Causing food to fall out of mouth as well as water. Poor thing would stand at trhe water bucket trying to drink for 15-20 minutes. Nothing can be done about this. Massive steroid shot didn't do anything after 24 hours. Taking pred. didn't do anything, either.
Since the mouth can't close all the way, it caused her to breathe in more air than normal.
Her belly blew up like a hellium balloon, she was in so much pain. When we got her to the vet...nothing could of been done. We had to have her put down.
She died as I lay next to her on the vet floor. I held her head, petting her sweet face & told her how much I loved her, that she was such a good girl & I would see her later.
Just so you know, no matter how slobbery Bloodhounds are, they are so sweet natured.
I miss that big 'ole wagging tail. The Rotts miss her too. Even though it's been 4-1/2 months since she left us, we will always miss that happy drooling hound.

I just wanted you to be aware of how bad bloat is in deep chested dogs.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Hope you know once owned by a bloodhound you will not want to get anything else.

GSD's good for some but not as good for tracking. I actually had Sheriff's wife from county near me ask if had pups as just put down a 5 yr old that had cancer and have 1 yr old female working now and looking for a pup. I feel a donation coming up.

Feddup sent PM on what I do with mine. I currently have 14 of them 1 leaves tomorrow for Florida.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM

That is the "bloodhound" person talking. GSD very good for trailing if trained properly and we are having a lively discussion about same thing on a working dog forum. One of the reasons police GSDs not as proficient as police bloodhounds is GSDs typically expected to do multi-purpose work [track and bite and also find drugs] and don't get the level of focused trailing training bloodhounds get. A lot of SAR GSDs and handlers train on trails as difficult as the best bloodhounds work.

You could not pay me to own a bloodhound. I like hiding for them because they are so fun to roll around with but a good GSD or Mal or Lab or even the right mutt can trail right up there with a good bloodhound.

Nothing against bloodhounds, just don't think they are "all that" they are purported to be.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
They are the most stubborn dog I have ever come across. If you can get pass the drool, you are a true dog person.
They can really be sweethearts, though.
I believe this should be a true working dog & used for that only.
No matter how cute & soft all those wrinkles & flaps are.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,587 times
since no one else answered what you asked... purina one large breed works good for my blood hound. shiny coat, healthy weight.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
I wholeheartedly recommend Evo red meat formula. Its a great food, if a bit spendy.

By the way, I would take the Pepsi challenge with my current Golden's nose any day of the week. Not sure he would be great for bite work, though...

Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 12,587 times
maybe, but the bloodhound is the only breed who nose is accepted as evidence in court.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM

Can you point to the caselaw?

I have heard that but where? I know other breeds are accepted in Europe for k9 suspect id and that there have been some very recent very embarrasing cases concerning "scent line ups"

FWIW - dectector dogs are often used to establish probable cause involving minute amounts of contraband and that has repeatedly held up in court.

But this thread is about feeding bloodhounds............................ All I can say to that is B-L-O-A-T prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs