Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times

Advertisements

I took Jasper to the local dog park today for the first time. Jupiter went with us because I figured it would make Jasper more comfortable to have a dog there he knew.

Anyhoo, we were there for a couple hours, everything was going OK, when this Australian Sheperd joined the mix. This Aussie is completely deaf, but usually friendly enough, though sometimes he doesnt know when to back off.

He approached Jasper, they did the sniffing shebang, everything seemed OK until suddenly they approach each other again. At this moment I turned a second to find Jupi, and the next thing I knew there were growls and there was trouble.

The Aussie's owner didnt know what to do, and tried to stick his hand inbetween my dog and the Aussie (Which= BAD MOVE). I was off to his side, trying to reach around for my own dog at a safer angle, but Mr Man was in the way. As Im doing this, Jasper is standing there for a second, not doing anything and looking at me. Mr Man still hasnt gained full control, and is blocking me from getting to Jasper. Aussie moves forward to Jasper, who then lunges forward to meet him.
There's a very brief scuffle before I get Jasper's collar and yank him away. When I do, Aussie moves to approach him again, but is intercepted by a large Golden/Lab mix named Malcom. Malcom joins in, flips the Aussie on his back, and stops him from going toward Japs. The owner FINALLY takes full control, but Jasper is bleeding (It was a nip on his lip..nothing serious but it scared me a little) Nobody else was hurt.
Jupiter, being the sweet. puppy he is, immediately comes over to check on Japs.
Needless to say, I will not allow him in the park when the Aussie is there from now on.
My question for the future is how to get a deaf dog to back off when being too "pushy" as Ive seen him be before? He doesnt respond to foot stomping, cannot hear commands, and the owner doesnt keep a collar on him at all.

What can I do? Why did the dog Malcom step in? (Im glad he did, but still)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
i have noticed that some dogs at the dog park designate themselves the "referees" and will step in when they think play is getting too rough..... don't know why, but i have seen it on a number of occasions....

re: the deaf aussie..... is the dog park large enough to keep your 2 in an area away from him if he is there when y'all are??

don't have any other words of wisdom for you ..... too bad that owner has not trained his dog better...... sounds like he is lacking doggie manners and socialization.....

Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i have noticed that some dogs at the dog park designate themselves the "referees" and will step in when they think play is getting too rough..... don't know why, but i have seen it on a number of occasions.....
My doggie has another schnauzer friend that he would meet up with at the dog park and they would roam the park together and if someone was picking on one of them, the other would step in!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i have noticed that some dogs at the dog park designate themselves the "referees" and will step in when they think play is getting too rough..... don't know why, but i have seen it on a number of occasions....
I have had two different dogs who were like this.
This was just during playtime with neighborhood dogs, not so much at a dog park.
Usually it was a help rather than a hindrance, the dog would just silently insert himself between the 'offending' dog and the victim, the tension would dissolve, and playtime would resume. They did it at catfights, too.

Deafness can sometimes be worrisome because of the isolation factor.
I recently heard of a serious dog park fight involving a deaf dog, one of them ended up at the vet. (All 3 dogs involved belonged to the same owner.)

Maybe everyone learned something during this skirmish, but certainly I would try to avoid another face-to-face encounter with the Aussie.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:18 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
My doggie has another schnauzer friend that he would meet up with at the dog park and they would roam the park together and if someone was picking on one of them, the other would step in!

bailey and dave do this too .... they are not bestest buddies at home yet, but if one is engaging in play with another dog that the other thinks is too rough, he or she will butt in ..... sort of like, i may not be all that crazy about my sister or brother at home, but YOU better not be mean to him or her.... only **I** can do that......

Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,179 times
PC is well-known to head butt a dog out of the way if that dog is too rough with one of his friends. In fact, last night, some dog refused to stop jumping on me and I was clearly annoyed, with no owner in sight. PC took it upon himself to head butt him out of the way and that's the only thing that made him stop.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
My late Lab/Clow female would come over and nose into anything going on with her buddy, my GSP male. A lot of times it was just playing but she wasn't taking any chances. Too funny to watch her try to protect him from playing.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,183 times
I met a deaf dog at the park for the first time yeaterday. The young man who owned her had taught her hand signals. I was quite impressed. Usually the younger crowd seems to have unruly/untrained dogs, but this young man obviously cared alot for his dog & put a good deal of time into working with her disability.

Hmm... I think a collar should be a must for the dog park. And for a deaf dog especially. But unless it's in the park rules... Maybe carry a water bottle that you can squirt at the dog. That way you can get it's attention & not worry about getting nipped if you try to grab it & end up startling it. I also carry a stick in my back pack to aid in breaking up fights... not to hit the dogs, of course, but to redirect their bites while pulling them apart.

I had a bit of a scare yesterday... a pitt bull and an akita/malamute mix got into a fight practically in my lap. It started over Riley's water dish which was sitting on the bench next to me (all dogs usually share from the water dishes that different owners bring)... both dogs went to drink at the same time and BOOM! I was soaking wet due to the dish fliping through the air as the dogs went down at my feet. The owner of the mix was right there to grab them and it was over in seconds, neither dog hurt, but yikes! Makes me wonder how things will go if they put in a doggy drinking fountain as planed?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Im glad nobody was seriously hurt. Jasper had at least 30+ pounds on this dog, so Im sure it could have been worse.

This was Jasper's first time at a dog park (Jupiter is a regular b/c he is the most submissive) and he was doing well (Minus some attempted humping, which was immediately stopped) until this happened. Jupi is only 7months old, so wouldnt step in of course, but I think it helped Jasper to have one of his "pack" there in a new situation.

Funny enough..Malcom was the one Jasper had tried to hump only minutes earlier. He let him do it once, then when Japs tried again Malcom growled, and Jasper stopped. They got along fine afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs