Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 PM

27 posts, read 34,420 times

Advertisements

The only animals I like are dogs. I don't like most humans, tigers, bears, lions, giraffes, ants, spiders, grease monkeys, etc etc..

I don't own a dog, but had a few at different times when growing up, and miss my old dogs!!

In the apartments I live, a lot of people own medium-small dogs. If they are in the hallway and not on a leash, and the dog runs up to me, I'll always like give it a pet or two, smiling. And maybe make a comment about the dog to the owner or just a "hi". Usually, it's just a couple sentences and were off on our own ways, and have no issues.

However, this one OCD b**** was visiting my roommate. When I got home the dog came running up to me and I petted it, smiling, and saying, "oh this is a 'type of dog'?

The superficial b**** was saying "(to me) oh you don't like dogs" "(to the dog) get away from him, he doesn't like you".

I was like, i like dogs, and pet it again, and she said again to the dog "go away , he doesn't like you".

I went and put my stuff away, and was thinking about telling her to get the f*** out. Bring your self in my home and your dog, and your dog is to good to have me touch it. Oh man, I was pissed. I just went in my room and got online.

I understand patience, and not saying anything is the best thing many times. But if anything like that happens again with that b****, she better not ever step foot in my home again.

Needed to vent, and wondering if this is common with other dog owners?

I don't feel the need to ask an owner for permission to pet their dog, if the dog f****** runs up to me- they should've had it on a leash. I don't feel the need to ask an owner for permission to pet their dog, if they bring the mut in my home.

Some people just amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,483,762 times
Many people are stupid. It's why I like dogs (and animals in general) so much.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,448,678 times
Responsible pet owners don't like irresponsible pet owners. I don't like the ones you talked about. Even when my dog is invited into someone's home with me, I keep it on a leash unless they ask me to remove it.

That said, I DO expect anyone to ask before approaching my dog to pet it. Most of my dogs are very friendly and outgoing. However, I do have a pit / dane mix that's very insecure and if you were to reach over his head to pet him I'm not sure if he'd pee on you or bite you. It's ALWAYS proper to ask to pet someone's dog. Of course, it's also always proper to keep your pets leashed and under control.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 PM

27 posts, read 34,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

That said, I DO expect anyone to ask before approaching my dog to pet it. Most of my dogs are very friendly and outgoing. However, I do have a pit / dane mix that's very insecure and if you were to reach over his head to pet him I'm not sure if he'd pee on you or bite you. It's ALWAYS proper to ask to pet someone's dog. Of course, it's also always proper to keep your pets leashed and under control.

I don't approach dogs. This is only if they come up to me.

That is why I, and most other people like dogs. Duh! LOL! If you have a rare shy one, they still are always happy when you get home and can change your mood from bad to good.

I've never had a dog bite me. Even when I weighed like 70 pounds as a kid and there was an 80 pound bear looking dog that lived next door. It was scary as hell climbing over that fence to get my ball. Sure, it tackled me once or twice, but never bit me.
---- most dogs don't bite strangers. and I'm not an idiot- If the dog looks like he's going to bite I'm not going to pet it- and most dogs that approach like that aren't going to bite you, they want attention.

Always proper? Even if the dog isn't on a leash and runs up to you? LMAO... Even if the dog is in your home? LMAO.. It's not always proper to ask. It's a f***** dog. Dog's like to be pet. I'm not going to respect some OCD B**** and ask for permission to pet her dog.

Again, some people astound the mind. There are people in the US, let alone third world countries, that drink dirty water, and sleep in dirt. And some people are afraid of a human petting their dog?

Shameful.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,448,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanaceaHero View Post
I don't approach dogs. This is only if they come up to me.

That is why I, and most other people like dogs. Duh! LOL! If you have a rare shy one, they still are always happy when you get home and can change your mood from bad to good.

I've never had a dog bite me. Even when I weighed like 70 pounds as a kid and there was an 80 pound bear looking dog that lived next door. It was scary as hell climbing over that fence to get my ball. Sure, it tackled me once or twice, but never bit me.
---- most dogs don't bite strangers. and I'm not an idiot- If the dog looks like he's going to bite I'm not going to pet it- and most dogs that approach like that aren't going to bite you, they want attention.

Always proper? Even if the dog isn't on a leash and runs up to you? LMAO... Even if the dog is in your home? LMAO.. It's not always proper to ask. It's a f***** dog. Dog's like to be pet. I'm not going to respect some OCD B**** and ask for permission to pet her dog.

Again, some people astound the mind. There are people in the US, let alone third world countries, that drink dirty water, and sleep in dirt. And some people are afraid of a human petting their dog?

Shameful.
Ok, get your panties out of a bunch and go back and read my post. It wasn't directed in a negative way at all about you. I was speaking in general about people approaching my dogs without asking. If I've got the shy one I don't want some jack*** getting bit because s/he just rushes over to pet him. You never know what a dog's reaction is going to be, thus asking the owner.

However I also said that in YOUR CASE the owner of the dog was the irresponsible jack***, not you. Most of the people around you are the irresponsible owner. Yes, most dogs are very friendly and will approach you seeking affection. However, some will approach and look friendly but will bite if you reach out to pet them. Some were even bred to have a low key, friendly and quiet demeanor even when they do bite. The Tosa is one of the breeds that can be very deceptive. Not saying it's a bad dog - there's no such thing - just saying some breeds that haven't been well socialized could approach you in a friendly looking manner even though they do plan on biting you, so it's always a good idea to ask the owner if you can pet their dog. If you choose not to do that because you think it's your right to pet any dog that approaches you, you risk being bit. Not my problem.

Don't get me wrong. NO dog should be allowed to just run willy nilly like that. We aren't living in the prairie days anymore. Communities are getting very crowded and people are living literally on top of each other (condos / apartments) and people need to be respectful of their neighbors. Keep your dogs leashed.

I'm not afraid of people petting my dogs. I'm afraid of how some people approach them and how one of my dogs would react to that. As a responsible owner I don't want to ever chance my dog biting anyone.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 AM

457 posts, read 890,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanaceaHero View Post
The only animals I like are dogs. I don't like most humans, tigers, bears, lions, giraffes, ants, spiders, grease monkeys, etc etc..

I don't own a dog, but had a few at different times when growing up, and miss my old dogs!!

In the apartments I live, a lot of people own medium-small dogs. If they are in the hallway and not on a leash, and the dog runs up to me, I'll always like give it a pet or two, smiling. And maybe make a comment about the dog to the owner or just a "hi". Usually, it's just a couple sentences and were off on our own ways, and have no issues.

However, this one OCD b**** was visiting my roommate. When I got home the dog came running up to me and I petted it, smiling, and saying, "oh this is a 'type of dog'?

The superficial b**** was saying "(to me) oh you don't like dogs" "(to the dog) get away from him, he doesn't like you".

I was like, i like dogs, and pet it again, and she said again to the dog "go away , he doesn't like you".

I went and put my stuff away, and was thinking about telling her to get the f*** out. Bring your self in my home and your dog, and your dog is to good to have me touch it. Oh man, I was pissed. I just went in my room and got online.

I understand patience, and not saying anything is the best thing many times. But if anything like that happens again with that b****, she better not ever step foot in my home again.

Needed to vent, and wondering if this is common with other dog owners?

I don't feel the need to ask an owner for permission to pet their dog, if the dog f****** runs up to me- they should've had it on a leash. I don't feel the need to ask an owner for permission to pet their dog, if they bring the mut in my home.

Some people just amaze me.
I do that, but really only in a joking manner to my dog. I have an APBT, and he just thinks that everyone under the sun is his best friend and that everyone should love him as much as I do. He gets SUPER excited when meeting someone, so I always say things to him like, "Not everyone likes you, ya know?" "How about you leave that person alone? They don't even like you!" "You're annoying them, Puppy." Things like that.

Of course, I'm always joking about it, unless I can tell that the person is a little nervous about him, then I make sure that I direct him away from that person rather quickly.

Any possibility that she could have been "messing" with her dog?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,820,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
That said, I DO expect anyone to ask before approaching my dog to pet it. Most of my dogs are very friendly and outgoing. It's ALWAYS proper to ask to pet someone's dog. Of course, it's also always proper to keep your pets leashed and under control.
^^^^^This.

Keep your dog on a leash. Even if it is a wonderful dog, if for any reason it bites someone (e.g. a bee stung him and it was a knee-jerk reaction), do you really want to deal with the person who will want you to pay medical costs and - everything else possible! - bc your dog was not on a leash and did it "absolutely on purpose, after all it is a dog"?! I don't, so my dogs are always leashed.

I trust them, I don't trust people who want to make a buck. I have been bitten before and never asked for a penny bc that was not the dog's fault, in my case it was just an accident. One thing is a rabid dog roaming the streets ready to bite, other is a dog who is hurt and bites out of pain or fear. But people conveniently disregard that.

That said, as my dog is always leashed when outside, never approach without asking first. This is just good manners, please understand that. Dogs are cute but that absolutely does not mean I want strangers around them. Be a polite human being and ask first.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,882,517 times
if the dog is off leash and aproaches you then thats the owners fault if you pet the dog...

(but remember not every dog that aproaches you might be frinedly and petting every dog you see will one day get you at least nipped...)
i have a BIG problem with people who dont have their dogs under control though and iditos like your describing (unleashed dog then the human being ridiculous) realy annoy me...

HOWEVER i also agree with mrs...
if my dog is with me ON LEASH, you better be asking if you can pet my dog...its a common courtesy that people dont seem to be teaching their kids these days, then they get bent out of shape if the dog grumbles ect...

its MY dog, my dog is under my control and didnt aproach you...so you do not have the right to use it like a petting zoo...ask first...

ive had people tell me that i shoudlnt take my dogs out if there "too agressive" for people to pet...and that realy bugs me...
1: my dogs may or may not be agressive, whats it your buisness they are under my control and its not your god given right to pet them
2: they may just not like the way your aproaching ect...

i actually saw one woman in the grocery store play merry murder because a BLIND lady wouldnt let this woans child pet her seeing eye dog...
the woman explained quite politly that the dog was working right now and if they were still around once theyd finnished their grocery shopping the little girl was welcome to pet him THEN, but right now he had a job to do.
the woman pitched a fit stating the owner had no right to refuse to allow her child to pet the dog and then kept telling the kid to 'pet the nice doggy" (in the meantime the kid was like Umm she told me not to...), then this idiot coplained to managment that there was a dog in the grocery store simply because the woman told her not to pet the dog...

again, i agree if the dog is off leash and coems up to you...well its the owners fault for not having it under control.
but if the dog is under leash or even voice control at the owners side, then ask first and if the owner says sorry no...that means no...walk away.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,163,198 times
OP sounds like he/she has more problems than how to pet a dog.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
In public, your dog should be controlled and *never* just run up to people uninvited.
In this vein, people should ask before every approaching or touching your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs