Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 PM

490 posts, read 1,434,622 times

Advertisements

When we got Cali we got the CKC form from the lady. She had filled out her part...so we can fill the rest out and send it in. The problem is we have no idea what the point of doing this is! It says standard registration is $12.00. What is that for? Is there any point in doing this?

Hmmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,277,343 times
IMO the only reason for anyone registering any dog with any kennel club is for census reasons.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,009 times
CKC as in Canadian kennel club?? The only reason to bother with registration is if you plan on entering in competitions, such conformation classes, obedience, or field trials. Another reason would be if you planned to breed. I suggest you not breed if you got said animal as a pet. Most people are not willing to go thru the expense and time to test for genetic problems or to research breed issues for any health related problems.
Some people do however register their dogs just to have the certificate.

By the way, what breed did you get?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,150 times
It all depends. If it is CKC as in ConKC I wouldn't see a point. If that registry I wouldn't purchase the pup. If I got a dog with that registration I'd probably not worry about sending it in. Depends on the situation but most the time there isn't a point/benefit in doing so. It is basically to have the dog registered in your name. Think like when you buy a car. It shows ownership of the dog, that you did buy (or were given) pup from the breeder.

If it were CKC Canadian then I figure that it is similar to AKC. The reason would be the same prove ownership/transfer of ownership and also help them keep records. As a registry they keep records of the dogs that are registered with them and their registered owners. Along with pedigrees with information including titles and health testing. Although your breeders should have shown you are given you a copy of the pedigree before you got the dog. If not or if you saw it but didn't get a copy you can send away for a copy with the registration. You will know what health test were done in the bloodline and possibly learn more about the dogs being carriers. I don't know what breed you got so can't speak much about that but it can be useful in determining possible health problems.

I've a few dogs I've still yet to transfer myself. I know the pedigrees though and some of the dogs in the pedigrees. If you don't do it in a certain amount of time there is usually a late fee of some sort.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks,

It seems pointless! I think we will pass since Cali will be fixed and be our pet...not a show dog.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
CKC as in Canadian kennel club?? The only reason to bother with registration is if you plan on entering in competitions, such conformation classes, obedience, or field trials. Another reason would be if you planned to breed. I suggest you not breed if you got said animal as a pet. Most people are not willing to go thru the expense and time to test for genetic problems or to research breed issues for any health related problems.
Some people do however register their dogs just to have the certificate.

By the way, what breed did you get?
Hey Blu, we got a mix breed. She is a maltese and yorkie mix. She is awesome!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 AM

Sounds cute! Where is the pic? Whenever you get a new dog we always want to see!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 AM

Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 AM

She is adorable!! Good luck with your new family member.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,558,792 times
The only point for registering a dog with a breed club that is not going to be showed/bred/titled is that some events in some breed clubs [e.g., AKC] require either a purebreed ceritfication or an ILP to show the dog appears to be purebred. And, as stated, proof of ownership. But a receipt etc can do the same thing.

Fortunately, they do not require it for the CGC which is a very basic citizenship/manners test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs