Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Even before the recent pet food scare, I became educated on what is found in pet food by reading this http://www.newstarget.com/012647.html (vomit-inducing, so be warned)

We make our own dog food as well. Chicken, veggies (I've lately read that broccoli isn't good for dogs, so we cut that out), fruit and oats.

agreed. I feed my dog veggies and chicken; sometimes beef. My last dog was fed this way and lived to age 16. Remember though when preparing foods to be given to dogs that they can't have onions(according to my dogs vet)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,797 times
I just made my first batch of homemade food for Cassy, and she thanked me for hours! Much cheaper than buying the stuff from the store, and hubby and I have peace of mind that she is not eating something that will kill her. She is 11 so I dare to hope that this will help her in her aging years.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 AM

489 posts, read 2,014,738 times
I made my first batch of homemade dog food yesterday, too! I used ground turkey, baby carrots (chopped), handful of frozen mixed veggies (NO ONIONS!), chopped red potatoes, garlic powder, brewer's yeast, a hint of italian seasoning, brown and white rice (small handful), and elbow macaroni pasta. The day before, I purchased a dog vitamin paste specifically formulated for senior dogs (which is who I am preparing this for). My dog LOVED it!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Right now I am mixing the homemade with her dry food, but I want to eliminate the dry food altogether, does anyone have a recommendation on how much of the homemade a 55lb dog will need? I made ground turkey, barley, leftover potatoes, and carrots. I also made up boiled chicken, barley, potatoes and peas and froze that batch. She has been taking a vitamin for years, so I'm not too worried about that - except I may go to the health store and see if they have something natural for her.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,548 times
Our 65 lb dog gets a solidly packed 2 cup container of homemade doggie stew in the morning and another 2 cup serving in the evening. She also gets some extras in tablescraps, and a few large Milkbones a day. I make sure her food is mostly meat (for protein), with added veggies, rice and chicken broth. Sweet potatoes are a nice addition sometimes too. Our dog is a sedate senior citizen golden retriever though, and maybe you should feed more if yours is younger and active. Sounds like several people are cooking for their dogs--how great! There are many recipes on the web for homemade dog food and treats. Happy cooking!

Lynn

PS--check out a book called "Food Pets Die For" by Ann Martin. I got it about 3 years ago, and that's when I started making my own dog food. It's about the commercial pet food industry. Scary stuff, and with the recent massive pet food recall, almost prophetic.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM

Thanks LMB, my girl is an 11 year old lab/golden and is beginning to slow down just a bit. I'm hoping that this will put some spring into her step and also be healthier for her. Hubby and I realized when this dog food scare came out that we just did not want to take any chances with loosing her, so this was the natural thing to do. I'll check out the book. I have been feeding her about a heaping cup in the morning and about 2 cups in the evening (but the evening is also supplemented by 1/3 cup of the dry we are using up).

Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 AM

489 posts, read 2,014,738 times
I just found what appears to be a really good website with homemade dog (and cat) food recipes in addition to nutritional / health info that is pertinent when making pet food at home. They also have dog (and cat) KIBBLE recipes. There are additional links on the page as well. I'm excited about it and wanted to share this site with you all.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03jan27a.cfm

Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks I will search it.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
OK guys.
I'm going to ask a dumb, dumb question.
First though. I bought the ground turkey. I have the carrots, mixed vegs, potatoes, rice, garlic, italian dressing, and anything else you want me to get, just add it.
Now the question. How do you make the doggie stew? I don't know how to cook except for a couple of BBQ chicken breasts. I have all the gadgets - stored :-)
What is brewer's yeast? What do I do with it and how much do I need?

I have a 65 lbs 3.5 y.o. and a min pin that is on Hill's prescription w/d but he doesn't lose any weight. I am probably feeding him too much of THAT, plus all the other treats, but he's a bottomless pit. I KNOW he has to lose weight but I feel so bad that he's hungry :-(

Recipe please??? I mean like step-by-step. Boil, stir, add now, that kind of stuff and quantities. Pretty please??

Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,575 times
Default Pet Vitamins in addition to cooking food

My vet copied several recipes out of a cookbook they had there and also gave me some Canine Plus vitamins. I have been cooking a different recipe every night to see which one my dog likes the most and I just crumble up the vitamin into the recipe. That way I don't have to worry if she is getting everything she needs. I also bought some 3V Caps Liquid which is a concentrated fish oil, a source of omega-3, fatty acides plus additional Vitamins A,D & E. Now if I could just get a recipe for dry food. I have decided not to chance that either until they change the regulations on pet food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs