Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times

Advertisements

I'm writing this at 2am. I pulled a dog out of a shelter because it was on borrowed time. It was impulsive. I actually wanted another dog, but through a mix up, the cute little dog that I wanted went to someone else. I was heartbroken and so when this one "with issues" was offered to me, I broke down and took it out of insanity.

Long story short, the dog is too much for me for several reasons that involve separation anxiety, roommate, and my cat whom the door keeps growling at out of fear mainly. I'm at my wits end and desperate to find someone to take the dog off my hands. I feel like a failure, but that's besides the point.

Any suggestions on finding a rescue to take the dog? She is sweet, 25 pounds. I've cleaned her up, and she is sleeping soundly in a crate unless I do something unexpected, like get up to go to the bathroom or move out of her range of vision, and then she starts making noise and waking up the person who owns the house, who is not very happy with me right now.

Sleepless and hopeless,

W.

P.S. I know several of you will post on how I can work with the dog. Trust me when I say, I just don't have the confines or lifestyle to handle a dog with separation anxiety. I already feel bad, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Is she close enough to a recognized breed that a breed rescue would help her? Sometimes they do - I have a friend in breed rescue who takes mixes of their breed.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Is she close enough to a recognized breed that a breed rescue would help her? Sometimes they do - I have a friend in breed rescue who takes mixes of their breed.
She doesn't look enough like any real bread I'm afraid.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Oh Woofers, don't beat yourself up. You acted out of love. If I didn't have my husband to say no, I'd be bringing home dogs every day.

Can you post an ad on Craigslist? Maybe someone will adopt or foster her? Just be honest about her "issues" (Artie's previous Mommy was honest about his, and I still fell in love with him and took him in) -- you might be pleasantly surprised.

I hope this all works out quickly and painlessly for you.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh Woofers, don't beat yourself up. You acted out of love. If I didn't have my husband to say no, I'd be bringing home dogs every day.

Can you post an ad on Craigslist? Maybe someone will adopt or foster her? Just be honest about her "issues" (Artie's previous Mommy was honest about his, and I still fell in love with him and took him in) -- you might be pleasantly surprised.

I hope this all works out quickly and painlessly for you.
DanJ,

Thanks for the support. I did post on Craigslist. She is not a bad dog at all. In fact, she is a great dog in many respects. It's just not a good match for me and my limited space resources. I'm praying to find her a good, loving home. I've been up most of the night.

W

Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,688 times
Have you considered sponsoring the dog? Find another foster home and offer to cover costs, if you can afford it. Or, back to the shelter and cover costs there? Just a thought.

Maybe she has adopted you? If she has, everything will work out. Best wishes!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Let's see a picture of her!

And maybe this Stow rescue group All Dog Rescue can help you out. Otherwise, some rescues like Buddy Dog Humane Society in Sudbury will take in an adult dog to rehome for $150, but they are a no-kill shelter.

http://alldogrescue.org/Info/owner%20surrender.htm (broken link)

http://www.buddydoghs.com/html/surrendering.html (broken link)

Good luck! And Lily says hi.

Last edited by miu; 03-11-2009 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
And I think that separation anxiety is to be expected from any shelter dog you adopt. I'd give any rescued dog at least a few weeks to settle in and become confident that their new living situation is stable and safe. And even with puppies, they are going to be upset at being left alone in the being, as before they were always in the company of their litter mates and mom.

If you are crating the new dog when you leave your room, do you have a shirt with your scent on it in the crate with her? And try not to be anxious around her as you anticipate her anxiety attack when you leave her. What about giving her a little treat and some praise every time you leave the room? And never a treat when you are just hanging out with her. That way, she will associate good things with you leaving her alone.

Anyway, just some advice to get you through the present situation.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 PM

Update: I found some really nice person to take the dog and try it out for a while. She already had three dogs. She worked down the road from where I lived so I brought the dog for her to see. I waited out in the parking lot with the dog. As soon as she stepped out with a young fellow who was a coworker, the dog ran up to both of them! They were impressed. She took the dog -- on impulse, of course!

I took a sedative for myself last night so that I could finally sleep, and now I'm having a drink to settle my nerves. She was a good dog, but I did not have the capacity to deal with her anxiety of not wanting me out of her sight.

Maybe there is a God.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Update: I found some really nice person to take the dog and try it out for a while. She already had three dogs. She worked down the road from where I lived so I brought the dog for her to see. I waited out in the parking lot with the dog. As soon as she stepped out with a young fellow who was a coworker, the dog ran up to both of them! They were impressed. She took the dog -- on impulse, of course!

I took a sedative for myself last night so that I could finally sleep, and now I'm having a drink to settle my nerves. She was a good dog, but I did not have the capacity to deal with her anxiety of not wanting me out of her sight.

Maybe there is a God.
Fate. Kismet. Serendipity. Sometimes things just have a way of working out.

I hope you calm down quickly, knowing that the pup is likely home now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs