Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM

64 posts, read 124,825 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a 3yo Beagle named Daisy. She is the love of our lives. We just adore her. She is a wonderful dog, has the best temperament, so loving and all that.

Our only problem is that she still has accidents in the house, after 3 years. It is always the same spot and always in the middle of the night. One night I didn't get to bed until 3am but I let her out right before I went to bed. I woke up 3 hours later at 6am and there was a puddle in that spot. I let her out, take her for walks, everything, all day long but still she has to pee in that spot, if not that spot then she gets in the basement and goes there.

I have tried cleaning the area really well with bleach, anything to get the smell out. I tried blocking it so she can't get over there. It is not every single day, but most days. I am at my wits end.

We started crating her but my neighbors complained to me when she would howl when we went to work, or she would keep us up all night howling, baying. We tried that for a month but the neighbors kept calling us (our houses are very close together). So we put the crate away, she seemed so happy. But then these accidents....ugh.

Someone told me the Beagle breed was just very stubborn anyway. I know the crate would have helped...I don't know. I don't know if I am looking for advice, or maybe to see if any other Beagle owners have a similar experience? I guess I just needed to vent, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,541,145 times
Bleach won't do it. You need to go to a pet store and buy one of the enzyme cleaners. You can "search this forum" for brand names that others like. Luckily for me, my dogs only have accidents when they are sick, so I don't really keep any on hand.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:08 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,319,554 times
I'd take her to the vet to make sure it's not a health issue. You might try an ex-pen instead of a crate they are a little less confining.

As far as the baying of a hound...that's what they do! You might be able to train her to not bay but it is a long process and I'd suggest getting some professional help with that.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,827,751 times
DO make sure it's not a urinary tract infection.

Clean up any accident with Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. THOROUGHLY. And you can get a UV lamp to find other areas of which you might not be aware.

You really need to put on her leash and WALK her to ensure she doesn't have accidents. Because that way you can reward her with WONDERFUL treats (NOT CRAP FROM THE STORE) like chicken, cheese or steak. Tiny pieces are fine.

It is CRITICAL that you go out with her, WITH THE TREATS in your pocket. Rewarding her when she comes in reinforces coming in the house, not urinating outside. You have to give the treat the NANOSECOND she finishes, with lots of loud, high-pitched praise, as well.

Do a search of this forum and find my housetraining post. IT WORKS. But you have to do your part to and go out with your dog. I find it's the number one reason dogs don't get trained completely. And EVERYONE in the house needs to do this.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,465,322 times
All of the others have responded with good advice, so I will simply post some anecdotes of life with my beagle mix, Tonka (there's a pic in my profile).

We adopted Tonka from a beagle rescue group in the DC area in August 2001. The rescue group told us he was 2 - 3 years old (turns out he was a bit younger than that, according to our vet). We thought adopting an older dog would make housetraining easier. DH and I have always had animals so we figured we were experienced dog owners and would have no problem settling Tonka in to our apartment. WE WERE WRONG! LOL

The rescue group also told us he was a failed hunting dog and was probably used to living outside or in a large kennel with a pack of other dogs. They believed that he was dumped by a hunter for his inability to concentrate on the hunt (yeah... he's an ADD dog!) so before we brought him home, he was probably scavenging in the woods some place. He had no concept of what it was like to be an indoor pet. And, he lacked proper house manners. The rescue group recommended crate training him, which is what we did.

Every day for three months, we would get up in the morning, walk Tonka for 20 minutes, bring him back in and feed him breakfast, get ready for work, walk him again, and then leave for the office. Every day for those three months, we would return home to find Tonka wallowing in filth in his pen, so one of us would take him out while the other had the pleasure of cleaning the crate. Then, we would have to clean him up. DH and I bonded with Tonka more in our bathtub those early months than anywhere else.

We tried our best to keep to this schedule, as the rescue told us that dogs are basically creatures of habit and housebreaking will go much more smoothly if we keep the schedule. We went through so many cleaning supplies those first three months, it was truly incredible. We even briefly entertained the idea of returning him to the rescue if we couldn't get him trained. We agonized over the decision, and eventually decided that we could get him trained.

I'll never forget the first day I returned home from work to find a clean crate. I did the happy dance of joy!!! I didn't have to scrub the crate and I didn't have to wash the dog. We went on a nice long walk that day in celebration (well, a longer-than-usual-walk).

Something in Tonka's head clicked that day. We went from him making a mess in the crate every day, to maybe three times a week, then to once a week, and then shortly thereafter he was reliable and did not have any accidents at all. Oh happy day!

While all of this was going on, we learned to start paying closer attention to his signals. Was he getting anxious, or "pestering" us, which we were mistaking as play? Well, let's try taking him out. Was he just randomly standing by the door? Let's take him out. Was he making this little "grmmmm" sound - was he telling us he needed to go out? Well, let's take him out again. Soon, he would begin telling us that he needed to go out by bumping his leash, which we had hanging from a hook by the door. If he even got near his leash, we would take him out. Obviously we couldn't read his signals while we were at work, but we certainly paid attention while we were home.

Fast forward eight years, and Tonka is very reliable. We still subscribe to the philosophy that if he is signaling us that he needs to go out, we stop what we are doing and take him. Sometimes I think he is just messing with us (LOL!), but my theory is, I'd rather take him out 20 times a day than have to clean up an accident.

So in summary, here's what I've learned:

1. The crate is my friend! At least in the beginning, the accidents were contained. I didn't worry about "finding" one, and it certainly eliminated the fear of ruining the carpet in our apartment.

2. Keep to a schedule. Consistency is key.

3. Exercise is good for Tonka, and for me! The more walks we would take, the more Tonka would realize hey, I need to do this outside! Keeping small pieces of hot dog nearby to enforce his good behavior helped too.

4. Pay attention to the signals. Who says animals can't talk? Tonka's signs were telling me what I needed to know... I just needed to learn his language.

5. Always keep good cleaning supplies on hand!

I know I've been rambling on here, but I hope this little story helps you realize that your beagle can be trained. Yes, it is frustrating, but I'm sure with the wisdom of other posters on this forum, you can fully housebreak your pup.

Please keep us posted (and post a picture!).

Old 03-20-2009, 02:42 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,613,666 times
My Mom has the same issues with her beagle Alex. She is 9 years old and still will not housetrain. I told my Mom to try putting her in her crate, but for years her crate was her potty! My Mom finally put the crate down in the basement and now Alex sneaks down there to do her business.
I have met a few other beagle parents and they have the same problem. You just have to keep working with them, they are a cute, but stubborn breed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs