Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your dog microchiped?
Yes, my dog is microchiped 49 74.24%
No, but I plan to get them microchiped 9 13.64%
No, and I do not plan to get them microchiped 4 6.06%
Other... I will explain in my post 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times

Advertisements

I started chipping my pets when they first came out, years and years ago, and continue to do so. Anything that would facilitate the return of my furkids to me is more important than any rumor about the chips causing cancer. We use Home Again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times
My Atlanta rescue was microchipped with Home Again, both of my Crucian rescues (St. Croix, USVI) have AVID. Both of these companies are ISO compliant. This is only important because we travel internationally and ISO standard chips are a requisite for the countries we visit.

IMO, You are beating yourself up about the lack of the microchip in Brooklyn. I really do feel for you, but the fact is, the shelter should have recognized that Brooklyn was a PET, not a stray dog. None of it was your fault and you'll have another babe adopt you in the near future; it wasn't anything that you could have prevented.

Good news! We've got 2 homes lined up for 2 dogs we've been sponsoring here over the last 3 months. Just got word today. Yes, they are microchipped. This is unusual where we live because most people here don't subscribe to that in the Caribbean. If we sponsor a pet, we get it microchipped in addition to the regular spay, neuter, general health, etc. Our one and only shelter - a kill shelter is equipped for ISO microchip reading - they just got it donated last year. Guess that tells you a lot about the dog-fighting, bait dog culture in the islands. Rampant throughout the culture on all of the islands but all we can do is one at a time.

Please post more as I think it is crucial for you at this time. Write whatever and whenever, we'll read it and respond if you ask. Very best wishes and glad you have your family, this outlet and whatever support you have in the "real" world.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
If my local vet / animal control had a service where they could chip dogs for a reasonable price I would get it done in a heart beat. Id hate if this was a bigger city and I lost him only to be put down cause he had no chip. Luckily this is a small town and my vet (and Animal Control too) would recognize my dog and call me.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 AM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
Yes, all my cats and dog are chipped. I love it so much I did it myself - even the Psychokitty.

It certainly doesn't give you any guarantees but it's one more way to protect your pet from being killed in a shelter, an occurance that happens more than chip-induced cancer (if I believed in such a link, which I don't).

None of mine care whether Big Brother is watching them. You know, how he walks around with his chip-reader to infringe on their rights to remain anonymous as to whom they live with.

Looks cute on an X-ray too.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 AM

261 posts, read 944,036 times
We got our little girl as a rescue in Los Angeles, the Pasadena animal shelter there specifically has a program for "pit bulls" even though ours is a Staffordshire Terrier we qualified for a FREE spaying and micro chip. Their program is an effort to reduce the number of "pit" dogs born in the city with the possible intent for fighting. The program offers the micro chip with a lifetime $5,000 reward if she is ever missing. We are so incredibly careful with her and ensuring she is always in her yard, the house, or car with supervision. We even had new locks put on the back of our trucks bed cover to ensure no one could open it and let her out if she is back there. As much as we do though, I will always be cautious in respect to our dog and the risks of her ever getting loose. We live in a very rural area so utility peole are never a concern for us, but the neighbors dog who they keep bringing over is our current challenge.

Suggestion, do more than you think you should and your better of in the long run odds of keeping your pets safe.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,941 times
Tonka has a Home Again microchip. He had it when we adopted him through BREW Beagles in the DC Area. We have updated our address with them every time we moved, so in case anything ever happens, he will be returned to us.

I volunteer at the local animal shelter here in Charlotte - all animals adopted from the shelter have a chip. They also have a very successful, low cost microchip program for the public. They will put a chip in any dog or cat for a donation of $10. They also have a local registry that you can add your chip to with your address. Our animal control officers check this registry first (before any of the commercial registries) and if your pet comes up and animal control finds him, it's like a boomerang - he will be returned almost immediately to me.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,585 times
i was living in germany when i got spanky spartacus von schnoodle (he's actually a mini-poodle, but i liked how "schnoodle" sounded). anyhoo, it is required in EU nations if you're getting your pet a passport, that they be chipped. the price was reasonable as i was able to get it done on-base. it actually wasn't too pricey on the economy either, just more convenient to get it done with his regular vet. he has an AVID chip which i need to update like YESTERDAY. . .LOL.

i will do have future pets chipped as well. it is peace of mind. . .although one of my good friends is convinced its opening up doors for the government to keep track of us. yes, one of his conspiracy theories. . .

Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
My new puppy was chipped with Avid before he left the breeders. My elderly rescued JRT is not nor is my elderly cat. I've had the dog and cat for quite sometime and have yet to loose them and I live in a rural area.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I've heard as long as you don't chip them when they are young the chance if cancer is pretty much non-existent.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Mine have been chipped since they first came out and are seniors now, none have had cancer, I'd do it again in a heartbeat and most likely anyone who's lost a beloved pet would too. I also think it's better than tattooing b/c tat's fade and there's no registry to call if your pet goes missing. Would of course use a popular microchipping company such as Avid or Home Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs