Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,539 times

Advertisements

how long does the first heat usually last......
I am supprised that my 7 month poodle is now a woman.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,192 times
Get her spayed Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/why_you_should_spay_or_neuter_your_pet.html - broken link)
if you can't afford that, please DM me.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:40 AM

no...I plan to get her fixed....I ust didnt expect her to go into heat so quickly.....

dont I have to wait for her to be finished as well?

this is why I am asking......

Old 03-27-2009, 02:26 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,192 times
I'm not a vet, please call your vet. From my cursory research, it is unwise to spay her during heat. I'm very sorry this happened to your new family member... the heat can last anywhere from 7 to 20 days depending on the dog, not necessarily the breed. I had a family member (dog) and I was told she was spayed, she wasn't. So, when the heat happened, we had to put her in the car and drive her a mile away so she could her relieve herself - that way that the uninvited boys from our 'hood would go away from our home. It will be fine, just call the vet and schedule the appt. when it is appropriate.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
It is perfectly safe to have her spayed while in heat. It will cost you just a bit more tho. ....It is probably preferable you wait...just because the surgery is a bit more difficult.(Which is why it cost more) Uterine tissue is swollen and fragile...tends to tear more, but it can be done and is done all the time. Heat cycle last for about 21 days.... first show of discharge is usually 7-10 days. But just like us women, female dogs are all a bit different.
She is also right about on track for her first season.
If your not inclined to have her spayed while she is in season, they make "breeding britches"...sell feminine doggie pads to go inside the pants....although I always used womens feminine napkins and cut them in half...the adhesive helped keep them in place and they were much much cheaper to buy.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 03-27-2009 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Small females usually go into heat younger than large ones, have heard that it's best to spay before their first season or midway between her first and the next anticipated season (apprx. 2-3 mos from now), would def. make the appointment now - in the meantime, keep walk her on a leash in your yard and never leave her outside unattended for the next 3 weeks even if your yard is fenced-in, don't take her outside in public, males can be very persistent in trying to get to a female in season and wont hesitate to climb fences, dig etc. Best of luck -

Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times
You can by all means spay her during her heat cycle; it's just more expensive to do so and some vets won't do it. This is why it's recommended to get females spayed at around 5 months.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
The conversation with your vet should count more than the replies you'll read here. Having said that, they can spay during heat, as mentioned it will cost more because there's an increased risk. If you can safely contain her without males hitting her then I would suggest waiting. With her being so young if you cannot contain her I'd discuss spaying now with you vet.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:05 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
I had my dog spayed during a heat cycle -- this was many years ago.

The heat can last over a month. Lots of blood everywhere and messy! You cannot take your dog outdoors for walks while in heat. Do not even think about it! I tried this, and every dog in the neighborhood went crazy. Literally, barking coming out of all the houses on the street. I was like, "What the....?"

And then unbelievably, across the street an enormous male rottie on a leash broke away from his owner and ran up to my dog and tried to mount her. This all happened in the blink of an eye. The owner runs across the street after her dog, gets him back under control and then drags him away. I'm thinking to myself, "Whoa! Close call!" When suddenly, my sweet little angel twists her head out of her collar and runs after the dog. When she gets to him, now half a block away, she immediately presents her bottom to him. Of course, he mounts, gets inside her, and starts humping away like a maniac. I'm running after them, screaming "stop them!, stop them!" When I got there, I pulled my dog out from under him. She acted very strange afterwards as if the humping had put a hypnotic spell over her. She would not walk, just sat there, until I had to carry her a mile home.

The whole scene was absolute mayhem! Thus, I learned about female dogs and heat. Once again, this was many, many years ago when I was still an inexperienced dog mom.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 PM

thank you all for your replies...I will deffinately call the vet today!

xoxoxoxox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs