Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times

Advertisements

A little while ago I posted about my Pom/Sheltie mix, Sienna, and how she escapes from everything. (Her motivation is to get at the cat food, which the cats are free-fed.)

So, after her nearly disastrous incident with a wire gate (involving foot x-rays, she's ok now though), I decided to get her a soft-sided ex pen.

I found something like this:

Precision Pet - Detail

It has a roof, is lightweight and seemed injury-proof. Well, that lasted ONE DAY. My genius dog discovered that she could pull up the velcro floor, and lift the thing up with her head (I'm assuming) and voila! Cat food buffet.

Ok, fine. So I go back and exchange the pen for a soft sided CRATE:

Precision Pet - Detail

Now, this is a CRATE. No velcro floor in here. It looks REALLY escape proof to me.

Again, this lasted ONE DAY. Sienna, who could apparently be a member of doggie Mensa, figured out how to UNZIP THE THING FROM THE INSIDE WITH HER PAW!!!! I thought she was watching me rather closely while I zipped it up.

I believe the score is now Sienna: 5, Mom: 0

Off to buy a luggage lock...

And possibly a webcam, 'cause this is too good not to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Wow! You do have a doggie genius on your hands!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
A little while ago I posted about my Pom/Sheltie mix, Sienna, and how she escapes from everything. (Her motivation is to get at the cat food, which the cats are free-fed.)

So, after her nearly disastrous incident with a wire gate (involving foot x-rays, she's ok now though), I decided to get her a soft-sided ex pen.

I found something like this:

Precision Pet - Detail

It has a roof, is lightweight and seemed injury-proof. Well, that lasted ONE DAY. My genius dog discovered that she could pull up the velcro floor, and lift the thing up with her head (I'm assuming) and voila! Cat food buffet.

Ok, fine. So I go back and exchange the pen for a soft sided CRATE:

Precision Pet - Detail

Now, this is a CRATE. No velcro floor in here. It looks REALLY escape proof to me.

Again, this lasted ONE DAY. Sienna, who could apparently be a member of doggie Mensa, figured out how to UNZIP THE THING FROM THE INSIDE WITH HER PAW!!!! I thought she was watching me rather closely while I zipped it up.

I believe the score is now Sienna: 5, Mom: 0

Off to buy a luggage lock...

And possibly a webcam, 'cause this is too good not to share.
OMG, I'm sorry for laughing. But I'm laughing WITH you.

Sienna is freakin' brilliant!!!! Please do videotape it, although your written description already had me crying from laughter.

PS. I tried to give you rep points, but apparently I have to spread some around before I give some to you again.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The solution is to stop free-feeding the cats. Cheap and easy to do. Feed them at set times, let them at it for 15 or so min then pick it up. The cats won't starve to death while they learn to eat "now."

Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Have you tried getting a tall ex-pen? Also, feed the cats up somewhere, my cat's food is up hi and even my JRT who can jump 5' in the air from a standstill can't get to it.

I share your umm errr pain but it is pretty funny and I'd love to see photos or webcams.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM

490 posts, read 1,433,716 times
That is tooo funny...your dog is smart!!!! Good Luck!!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The solution is to stop free-feeding the cats. Cheap and easy to do. Feed them at set times, let them at it for 15 or so min then pick it up. The cats won't starve to death while they learn to eat "now."

That would be the obvious answer, or at least put the food up high out of the dog's reach (though knowing her she'd figure out how to scale the fridge.) But my roommate, who owns the majority of the cats, will not budge on this.

And yeah - LOL myself!!! It was all I could to keep a straight "I'm not happy with you" face when I came home to that. Must...not...let...dog...see...me...laughing...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
How about applying for Letterman's "Stupid Pet Tricks" - the other nite they had a parrot who got out of a big cage faster than a 5 yr old volunteer from the audience. It was pretty darn cute (although they didnt win, you may be able to find it on U-tube). Would prob. go along w/ the suggestion of a tall x-pen or very tall baby gate and give her toys to keep her busy while you're gone and also leave the tv or radio on (which you 're prob. doing). Best of luck w/ your little Houdini.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:46 PM

And now for installment #3...

I realized that the crate came equipped with it's own version of a lock. Above the zippers, there is a clip like the kind on the end of a leash. So I clipped the zippers together, effectively locking them. Voila! Score one for me. Or so I thought.

I came home 2 hours later to Sienna greeting me at the door. She had managed to SHRED the (seemingly very tough) mesh, destroy the zipper, and snap off the plastic clip, on my brand new, $130 crate.

This is a crate built for dogs the size of a German Shepherd.

This is Sienna:
Dog profile for Sienna, a female Shetland Sheepdog/Shiba Inu

Best guess, Sheltie/Pom mix. 20lbs soaking wet.

I'm seriously considering the Stupid Pet Tricks suggestion...

The best luck I've had restraining her at home is (and please don't shoot me but it's the only thing she doesn't escape from...much) leaving her harness on and tying her to the leg of my bed on a 10' leash. That, coupled with hiding the cat food around a corner out of her direct sight, has actually managed to keep her in one place. Mostly. For now.

She still has access to the (#$*@!!!) crate, and her water dish, and her toys that she doesn't play with, and plenty of open floor, and the top of my bed.

And as long as she can't reach any chairs to wrap the leash around, she can't remove the harness herself. (Now if she CAN reach the chairs, this is no difficult matter...apparently she can also escape from a harness.)

She is currently sleeping happily under my desk at work, having mostly won this war.

So final wrap-up is I believe Sienna: 10, Mom: 1/2.

Sigh.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
And now for installment #3...

I realized that the crate came equipped with it's own version of a lock. Above the zippers, there is a clip like the kind on the end of a leash. So I clipped the zippers together, effectively locking them. Voila! Score one for me. Or so I thought.

I came home 2 hours later to Sienna greeting me at the door. She had managed to SHRED the (seemingly very tough) mesh, destroy the zipper, and snap off the plastic clip, on my brand new, $130 crate.

This is a crate built for dogs the size of a German Shepherd.

This is Sienna:
Dog profile for Sienna, a female Shetland Sheepdog/Shiba Inu

Best guess, Sheltie/Pom mix. 20lbs soaking wet.

I'm seriously considering the Stupid Pet Tricks suggestion...

The best luck I've had restraining her at home is (and please don't shoot me but it's the only thing she doesn't escape from...much) leaving her harness on and tying her to the leg of my bed on a 10' leash. That, coupled with hiding the cat food around a corner out of her direct sight, has actually managed to keep her in one place. Mostly. For now.

She still has access to the (#$*@!!!) crate, and her water dish, and her toys that she doesn't play with, and plenty of open floor, and the top of my bed.

And as long as she can't reach any chairs to wrap the leash around, she can't remove the harness herself. (Now if she CAN reach the chairs, this is no difficult matter...apparently she can also escape from a harness.)

She is currently sleeping happily under my desk at work, having mostly won this war.

So final wrap-up is I believe Sienna: 10, Mom: 1/2.

Sigh.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm so sorry, but Sienna cracks me up. And how you write about it? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Hilarious!!!!!

Speaking of escaping from harnesses, Artie wears a harness when we walk. When I bring him to my neighbor's (on his leash) to play with his two puppies in his yard, I just let go of his leash. The puppies each grab the leash in their mouths and "walk" Artie. Anyway, the three of them -- Artie with the pups mouth-walking his leash -- went into the bushes and when they came out, Artie was out of his harness with a big smile on his face. The pups came out with the leash and harness in their mouths. Ta da! Like magic!

But your Sienna can do it all on her own? She's a star!!!!!

One last word: VIDEO. (Please!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs