Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,790,620 times

Advertisements

We're planning our 2700 mile move from Rhode Island to Nevada. We're trying to figure out the best way and are hoping someone has done something similar.

We have a 1500sqft. condo currently. We're moving everything except for the couch and dining room table/chairs, so that's 2 large fully furnished bedrooms, sideboards, hutches, etc, and a full basement of eBay merchandise (about 1000 items that should fit in 50 boxes or so). There are myself, my wife, and my 20 year old step-daughter, as well as 2 chihuahuas. Both dogs are pad-trained and have never gone to the bathroom outside. We currently have 3 cars, but have the options to get rid of all or 2 of them.

We're looking at the following options:

Use U-pack to ship household items, and fly the 3 of us and dogs. The problem with this, is one of the chihuahuas can be aggressive with strangers and we really don't want to be turned away at the gate with a yippy dog. The arguments regarding sedation seem to be 50/50.

Another option would be to rent an RV and drive with the dogs.

The third would be drive in our SUV with the dogs in the back.

We're nervous about the 3rd because of the dogs not knowing how to go to the bathroom outside. We've tried taking them on walks, but they just refuse to use anything but pads.

Has anyone tried any of the above, or have any other options we haven't considered? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,064,335 times
If you fly you will have to remove the dogs from their crate at security, if one is aggressive I would suggest a muzzle or avoiding the situation entirely. An RV seems like an expensive option, especially with one way drop off fees, but if money isn't a concern then it could be fun. If you drive your SUV can you keep them crated in the back, put the pads in a "litter box" let them use that and bring it into the hotel bathroom at night.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times
Have you tried taking a pad outside and trying to get them to go on a pad outdoors. I would say to take them out at the time that you know they will have to go, like right after they wake up or right after they eat, put the pad on the ground with them on leash and WAIT...Wait until they go. Then lots of praise and a food treat when they do it. After doing that, then try to get them to go without the pad. If you can at least get them to potty on the pad outdoors, you can deal with that on the road I would think. I would not fly them unless you can take them in the cabin in a carryon, not in cargo.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you fly you will have to remove the dogs from their crate at security, if one is aggressive I would suggest a muzzle or avoiding the situation entirely. An RV seems like an expensive option, especially with one way drop off fees, but if money isn't a concern then it could be fun. If you drive your SUV can you keep them crated in the back, put the pads in a "litter box" let them use that and bring it into the hotel bathroom at night.
Flying is our least-anticipated option for that reason. We would need to sedate her, but that raises health concerns based on what I've read. An RV is going to be about 2500-3000 from what I've seen, so by far the most expensive option. We actually are considering buying a $3K RV and selling at the destination (or keeping for fun if it gets us there), but that's a risky proposal on a 2700 mile trip. Yes, we could crate them in the SUV, but not looking forward to the whining for 4 days. Love our little fur babies, but not as much as before we decided to move LOL

Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Have you tried taking a pad outside and trying to get them to go on a pad outdoors. I would say to take them out at the time that you know they will have to go, like right after they wake up or right after they eat, put the pad on the ground with them on leash and WAIT...Wait until they go. Then lots of praise and a food treat when they do it. After doing that, then try to get them to go without the pad. If you can at least get them to potty on the pad outdoors, you can deal with that on the road I would think. I would not fly them unless you can take them in the cabin in a carryon, not in cargo.
Excellent idea. We will try that and see if we can train should driving be they way that makes most sense. And as regards flying, yes, it would have to be in the cabin. Could never cargo them.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,667,664 times
My husky rode with us cross country in her kennel in the back of our then Bronco. We stopped every 3 hours for pee breaks and drove only 6-7 hrs. day. Had cats in kennels,too. I'd definitely work on them peeing outdoors first.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM

The drawback is training them, then "untraining" them when we get there. For the past 8 years, our oldest has been litter or pad trained and it is very easy for her (and us). I think the more I read about it, the more it makes sense for us to buy a cheap RV and drive while our things are shipped. We can put the pad down in the little bathroom onboard. Flying with them sedated makes me too nervous, and putting them in the back of the SUV wouldn't give them enough room to move around. We'll see, we still have a few months to mull it over... Thank you all for your insight!

Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
The drawback is training them, then "untraining" them when we get there. For the past 8 years, our oldest has been litter or pad trained and it is very easy for her (and us). I think the more I read about it, the more it makes sense for us to buy a cheap RV and drive while our things are shipped. We can put the pad down in the little bathroom onboard. Flying with them sedated makes me too nervous, and putting them in the back of the SUV wouldn't give them enough room to move around. We'll see, we still have a few months to mull it over... Thank you all for your insight!
A word of caution with purchasing a used, cheap RV. Make sure you have it inspected by a mechanic! You do not want it to breakdown. You're driving a VERY long distance and a $3K RV is probably going to have problems. How will you handle breakdowns especially since you're traveling with dogs? I ask because we broke down on our way home from Disney one year while towing our camper. Thankfully, Dad is a mechanic and could fix the problem, but he needed to get parts and tools! Not as easy as one would think.

Also if you drive the SUV, you won't have to buy a cheap RV, you'll save quite a bit of money. RV's have TERRIBLE gas milage. They make SUV's seem like hybrids!

I moved from NY to SC and SC to NY with 5 cats and 3 dogs. Wasn't a picnic by any means. Everyone was crated in an SUV or minivan. The move down we did it in 2 days and it was incredibly stressful. Not to mention noisy! The cats did NOT like the driving and one of our dogs whines the ENTIRE time! It was like a form of a torture.

No matter how you move, I would crate them while you're on the road. It's safest for them. If you're in an accident, they will be restrained. They also can't take off easily. I know several people who've lost pets while moving because they were scared, took off, and weren't crated.

Oh and there ARE hotels which are pet friendly! I know many Motel 6's will accept pets. LaQuinta does as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Ugh, decisions, decisions.. driving our SUV would be the least expensive, that's for sure.. we have a Nissan Rogue that averages about 25 mpg, so about $375 in gas, figure another $600-700 in hotels and food, and we're there for around $1000.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Ugh, decisions, decisions.. driving our SUV would be the least expensive, that's for sure.. we have a Nissan Rogue that averages about 25 mpg, so about $375 in gas, figure another $600-700 in hotels and food, and we're there for around $1000.
You're also comfortable in your vehicles. The scents would be familiar to the dogs and you'd be more relaxed. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but after a couple of days, you may be ready to pull your hair out.

When we moved to SC from NY, we did it in 2 days. It was just shy of a thousand miles. When we moved back to NY, it was 850 miles and I did it with all 3 dogs and 5 cats in one day. I left 2 hours later than I was expecting and drive through a ton of rain which slowed me down. I was driving it all in one trip no matter what! It was such a nightmare the first time. It was soooo stressful!!!! The pets were MUCH more relaxed in our SUV verses the rented minivan last time. And doing it in one day was much less stressful. It was stressful, but I wouldn't have have changed it now that I've done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs