Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:10 PM

34 posts, read 40,779 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any ideas on how to FEASIBLY send a 20lb pet dog cross country? She isn't a service dog, and airlines, Greyhound buses, and obviously FedEx are out of the question. We checked out a lot of those 'pet shipping services', but unfortunately they're too expensive. The cheapest we could find is $875.00 from Tampa Bay to Clovis New Mexico. The dog's owners just cannot afford it.

Any suggestions are very appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 12:38 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
I take it they are moving cross country? How are they getting their cars there? Can the dog just come along on the drive?

I know there are pet shipping places, but I assume they are the ones you are referring to as being too expensive.

I've been part of dog rescue "railroads" where everyone takes part of the trip to get dogs into safe homes. Maybe try to set something up like that with people you know? For example, someone drives from Tampa to Tallahassee. Someone drives from Tallahassee to Destin and so on until the dog reaches home?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Yes, they're moving and are flying from Tampa Bay to Clovis New Mexico next week. The owners no longer have a car.

We were told by the airlines that 'Daisy' needed to have all her shots and paperwork 10 days prior to departing, which they did. The tickets are all paid for. Now the airline is telling us that they cannot accept Daisy due to the temperature in the cargo area being too high ... we we certainly understand. Cancelling the flight would cost the owners about $450!

We are aware of the 'railroad' method, but we don't think we'll be able to line something up by July 22 when they leave.

Thank you for your reply. Any other ideas are appreciated!

- Dale

Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
Yeah, the airline never should have taken that reservation in the first place. No way can a dog fly in cargo in the south in July and they know that.

The only alternative I can think of is having friends/family watch the dog until the fall when the dog can be sent via cargo. You can send the dog separately, you don't need to have a ticket yourself to fly. Someone can pick up the dog from the airport in NM.

I would say pay someone to drive the dog over, but even that is just too expensive with gas being what it is.

The only other thing I can think of is a long distance trucker who drives that route, but I have no idea how that would be arranged.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:01 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,174 times
a 20 lb dog can ride in the cabin in a soft sided carrier. Normally runs about $75-$100. get the dog to a vet asap and get a health certificate.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
a 20 lb dog can ride in the cabin in a soft sided carrier. Normally runs about $75-$100. get the dog to a vet asap and get a health certificate.
I'm sorry ... I was just informed that Daisy weighs 29.5 lbs. and we're told that she is too heavy for the cabin. :-(

I'm sorry for not providing the correct weight. She does have her health certificate up to date as of 7/10.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:33 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Try posting on an online bulletin board/classified for Tampa under "Pets" to see if you can locate someone going from Tampa to NM..maybe a pet-lover will let Daisy come along as a passenger with a smallish payment...

Me, I would do that for smeone if I were traveling that route.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Thanks LittleDolphin, but we were told Daisy is too large for the cabin. She weighs 30 lbs, not 20 as I originally posted. :-(

(We're not able to edit a post?)

Stewabby, I'm looking around for long-haul trucker forums now. Thanks for the idea!

- Dale

Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Try posting on an online bulletin board/classified for Tampa under "Pets" to see if you can locate someone going from Tampa to NM..maybe a pet-lover will let Daisy come along as a passenger with a smallish payment...

Me, I would do that for smeone if I were traveling that route.
I was suggesting a DRIVER of a car -- not a pilot. Wish I'd be more clear.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Why don't they simply rent a car and drive out there with their dog ?

If they shipped the dog, it was going to wind up at a major airport near, but not in, Clovis.They would still have to rent a car to go get the dog.

Have them tally up the cost of two airline tickets, the cost for a shipping crate, the cost to ship,then cost of renting a car to go get the dog at an airport. They're going to find that the cost of renting a small compact car for 4 days, plus a few nights at an inepensive motel, is not going to be much different.

I can't see turning my dog over to casual people I met on Craigslist. That's a good way to lose a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs