Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:48 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times

Advertisements

I posted yesterday, asking questions about housetraining an adult (2 yrs old) Shih-Tzu. We've been wanting a companion for our dog for some time. The owners think Abby is "dumb" as they have had difficulty housetraining her and ultimately, have kept her crated about 20+ hours a day. We agreed to adopt her ( the owners mother is a friend of mine) and then they couldn't make up their minds if they really wanted to give her up. We got a call this morning that they have finally agreed and they are on their way!! Abby should arrive in the next 30 minutes. We have spoken with a great trainer we know who will be coming once a day (mid-day while we're at work) to take Abby for a walk and do some training. We've read a ton of stuff about housebreaking an adult dog and also appreciate the input we received here.

We're very excited!! So looking forward to our new little girl and glad she won't have to live crated all the time. She'll get walked, taken to the dog park and loved very much. We also realize we have a big commitment regarding training but are ready to accept the responsibility. Wish us luck and I'll let you know how things are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
It sounds like the owners are dumb.
Some dogs take longer to train. Good luck with your new friend.
I wish I could get another pet to keep my dog company.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
It sounds like Abby will finally have a home. Good luck to all of you. How exciting for everyone.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:36 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Good for you and Abby. My first dog was a Shih Tzu. She's everything but dumb. She knew how to play dead, and knew her right paw from her left. She also daintily sticks out her tongue for treats after we say "Finesse!". I'm happy she no longer has to spend so much of her life away in a crate.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
YAY!!!!

Congratulations to you and Abby! Enjoy!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Update: Fast forward several hours. Abby has been here since 10am (4:30pm now). I was horrified to find out the the owners didn't care enough about her to even think to bring her food, bed, crate or a single favorite toy!! Just Abby with some uncomfortable gaudy rhinestone collar. She is really quite thin. Shih Tzus are pretty sturdy dogs. Abby is long with her spine/ribs just a bit too prominent. I suspect she has very little muscle mass being in a crate most of the time. She's a pretty color mix - gray/silver. We introduced Dalai and Abby on neutral ground. They have been absolutely fine! Dalai is very submissive but Abby, the new dog isn't very agressive either. Dalai is still a bit tentative but there has been a lot of sniffing and looking quietly from a few feet away. Not a growl out of either of these sweet girls. We took them both to the pet supply store to buy a few new toys, extra bed and more food. We then went to the doggie park. It really has gone so well thus far...hope it continues.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:49 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Congratulations! And how nice that your girl is getting a second chance. It sounds like she hasn't had much of a life so far, but that's going to change! Wait 'till you see the transformation!

I adopted an elderly chihuahua last June. She had a lot of neglected medical issues, and, once those were taken care of she really came to life! You'd never know, looking at her now, that this was the same timid, thin dog that I got last year!

You're going to love seeing your new girl come to life.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I'm excited for you and Abby. She's going to have a nice home now. Crating for 20 hours? I don't understand why someone would want to have a pet and then not care for them.
The adult dog I had was put to sleep about 3 months ago was the easiest dog ever to train.
She was used to being outside all the time and it took about 3 days or so before I could get her to come into the house, get her and I used to using a crate and within a few days, she was used to it.
No accidents in the house so I think adult dogs are more easily trained than puppies. Of course I learned this info on CD too.
My 2 dogs now were housetrained when adopted at a shelter.
You shouldn't have any problems at all.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
SO happy for this poor girl, and for you, too. Good luck with everything and shame on thsoe first owners!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Good luck with Abby. Sounds like she really needed you. I am sure she will really blossom under your care and having another dog to play with verses sitting alone in a crate for 20 hrs! You will find she learns alot from your other dog. My old sick dog pretty much housetrained Jazz for me when she was a puppy. Puppy pee'ed in thh house on day 1 and Maddie let her have it in a verbal type scolding and she then started following Maddie out the pet door and never in the 13 yrs has had anpother accident in the house! ( except last year when she started " leaking " in her sleep and DES has stopped that.)

I am getting a younger dog soon in hopes that Jazz and Dash will help train it as I do think they learn alot form just watching another dog.

Here is to many happy years for you and the girls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs