U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 AM

22 posts, read 136,220 times

Advertisements

Hi. We just added two (yes two) new wheaten puppies to our family...we already have a 12 year old wheaten...all females. We were well prepared to add a second baby....but when we went to get her my husband,,,and I thought I was the softy, couldnt leave her litter mate behind. So we are now the very proud owners of three wheatens. I am very informed about the breed....so know the "terrier" issues and of course stubbornes...which one the puppies is showing. But I do have a question....I am crate training, and currently have both puppies in one....and Maggie is free. But as the pupps get older does anyone have any advice on one crate or two???? Also, Maggie seems to trying to "mother" them.....cleaning ears,privates, etc......but at the same time keeping them in their place...any suggestions for a better adjustment for all?
I have had two females in the house before...Maggie was raised with other females....and she is spayed....as will the puppies be....but any other advice would be appreciated....I realized Im a bit "rusty" on my housebreaking skills
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,706,444 times
Hi, I did this about five years ago. My older dashie had to be put down and and his pack mate ( 13 years old) I thought would grieve himself to death, lost patches of hair, would not eat ect so DH and myself thought well we better get another puppy. We did and no change in status of old dog so DH said well you better get another puppy so the 1st new puppy would have a pack mate when the old fellow bit the dust I like you never knew I was married to an old softie. The new pups were introduced about 2 months apart.The second new pup was a male like the old guy and for some reason this caused him to have a new lease on life!
Long story short, I had them in small crates in the utility room, heated of course with the doors open so they could move around. Lots of newspapers of course and usually everyone wound up in one crate crowed together. After a while I have moved up to the larger crate with more wire like sides which I usually cover with a blanket for a den like home for sleeping. Old guy really is a leader, a position he never had with his old pack mate. The pups learned to follow him and I had little housebreaking issues, just lots of trips outside especially after meals. Now they are 18, 5 and almost 5. Old guy gets bested occasionally but he still grooms both of the "pups" and yeps and keeps them in line. First one in and out of the door. I would let your oldster take the lead, as long as she recognizes you as the leader she will feel confident in the new additions. Give her first in everything, make sure she knows her position. Good luck, send a photo!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 AM

4,189 posts, read 14,467,678 times
Congrats on the new pups and nice story about the dachsund trio, sounds like it will all work itself out. One suggestion though, would crate separately, that way they'll bond less to each other and more to you which can be a problem with littermates, plus in the unlikely event they have a skirmish, there w/b no way of egress for one - also, it might help facilitate housetraining b/c with 2 crated together, you don't know who's done what in the event of an accident, jmo.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM

10,091 posts, read 39,732,317 times
Would you please, please, please, (I'm begging here) post some pics? I am 99% sure a Soft Coated Wheaton will be my next dog. After 30 years of Goldens, I done with the hair issues. I'd love to see some pics of the two newbies, as well as your older.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 AM

Thank you for the input so far. I am definately giving maggie lots of praise with positive interaction with the pups, but letting her kind of "take control" with them....so far just a couple of territorial alpha "encounters". I was really concerned about the crating issue...they are 81/2 weeks old and both fit nicely in a smaller one now...but before I go purchase another I needed some input...two makes sense...now just where to pu them in the house ! I am trying to post some pix of all 3.
Shelbygirl......I know the hair issue...we actually considered going with a different breed....but the personality/ non-shedding of wheatens just cant be beat!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,706,444 times
They are just a show stopper dog, very noticeable. How's the temperament? BTW, I understand terrier tenacity.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 AM

10,091 posts, read 39,732,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic65 View Post
Thank you for the input so far. I am definately giving maggie lots of praise with positive interaction with the pups, but letting her kind of "take control" with them....so far just a couple of territorial alpha "encounters". I was really concerned about the crating issue...they are 81/2 weeks old and both fit nicely in a smaller one now...but before I go purchase another I needed some input...two makes sense...now just where to pu them in the house ! I am trying to post some pix of all 3.
Shelbygirl......I know the hair issue...we actually considered going with a different breed....but the personality/ non-shedding of wheatens just cant be beat!!!
LOL...if you need help posting...just ask...I'd be glad to give a hand.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Just an update.. we are still working on the adjustment period.....Maggie is haveing good times with the puppies...and bad. We spoke to a trainer and she suggested letting them work it out....under supervision. And also suggested ONE cage.....which Im a bit hesitant of.
Im still working on pictures...have them downloaded...now just how to get them here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs