Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:07 PM

156 posts, read 318,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm with you on this one. Although, I guess it's better than allowing them to roam free and get hit by cars. No good answer to the question though. If you bring home a dog, housebreak it and let it be a member of the pack. Otherwise buy a goldfish.
I definitely agree. Dogs are lovable and they are so attentive to our feelings. We should do the same with them. People who do not want to give their dogs any attention should get fish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellimatt View Post
I definitely agree. Dogs are lovable and they are so attentive to our feelings. We should do the same with them. People who do not want to give their dogs any attention should get fish!
After they put pup a sign near the dog that says, FREE DOG.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
I "rescued" a Sheltie many years ago that had been kept tied in her fenced backyard. Upon answering a classified, I found this beautiful 6 month old Sheltie who was scared of her shadow. Who wouldn't be when they let all of their other dogs and cats run loose, and pick on her? I paid their asking price and got her out of there as fast as I could. The sad thing was that she was emotionally scarred for the rest of her life.

I agree that if families don't have an appropriate environment for their pets, they shouldn't have them.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
We have a lulu nearby who keeps 2 golden retriever dogs in a cage outside...it's not very big, either. I mean, what's the damn point? Dogs in crates in the house, I see, used sparingly till they are trained, but outside? It's not even a kennel, it's a damn cage.

All they do is bark when you walk by...just wanting attention, just wanting more darn room to move! Walk your dogs don't chain them or lock them up 24 hours a day.

Meanwhile I feel guilty about not having a yard for my dog to roam free off the leash but she gets walked about 7 times a day and lives pretty well.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I have always wanted a big dog (and I mean giant breed!), but will hold off until I have plenty of land for him to run and explore in...but even with all that space and freedom I can not imagine he would be unhappy about coming inside for lots of snuggles and treats throughout the day. I would let that be his choice, and probably install a huge doggie door for him so he could have complete freedom and also be able to get out quickly if he heard a noise he wanted to investigate. Having a big, beautiful dog and not getting all those great big dog hugs is a total waste, even working dogs love to be loved and appreciated for all their hard work!!! GypsySoul22, 7x a day is definitely enough to keep a dog happy, kudos to you for being so dedicated to making sure your baby has plenty of outdoor time!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
GypsySoul22, 7x a day is definitely enough to keep a dog happy, kudos to you for being so dedicated to making sure your baby has plenty of outdoor time!
Well, both hubby and I are home in the day so she gets plenty of air, especially now the weather is nice.
If I count, I probably take her out myself 4 times a day. One good half an hour walk, the others anywhere from 15-20 minutes.

I know people do not have this sort of time always, but for me, I have to do something to get out and about while between jobs. The dog gives me exercise and love!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
They probably got the dog and then later realized how much work it would be to train it to live nicely in the house.
They didn't want to get rid of it (guilt, money, whatever), so they chained it outside.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
I HATE it!! I used to be one of those idiots and my sweet girl got tick fever. I ws young and stupid..in my early twenties with two toddlers...but looking back...I could kick my own arse for being so freaking ignorant. ALL DOGS deserve better than a chain to LIVE with for their entire lives. If all our cruelty laws would forbid chains, people MIGHT THINK before they put a dog at the end of one and call it good.

I'm finding that I have much to regret in my "old" age and that time in my life is one of them. I finally let her go and run free and she lived to be thirteen. And happy.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
There are ordinances in some places against cruel confinement. Maybe working with the city or even the county could get something into effect. Report them for cruelty nontheless and see if that is a wake-up call.

As a last resort I know someone who stole the poor thing and got it into rescue.

Also can't you talk to them neighbor to neighbor--explain that it is not done nowadays and that you would be happy to help train the dog to repond to basic commands or volunteer to walk it regularly. Get to know them and over time you may make a difference in their thinking.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
There are ordinances in some places against cruel confinement. Maybe working with the city or even the county could get something into effect. Report them for cruelty nonetheless and see if that is a wake-up call.
Dogs kept on a chain that are provided for are not thought to be abused or neglected. I am fully aware of the cruelty laws and unfortunately, a dog that has shelter from the weather, ample food, clean water and a bone and/or toy do not fit into the category of neglected nor abused.

I simply wanted someone to tell me why they have a dog if they just keep it on a chain away from the house. Nothing more.

Quote:
As a last resort I know someone who stole the poor thing and got it into rescue.
Steal someone's dog? Sort of like taking the law into your own hands?

Quote:
Also can't you talk to them neighbor to neighbor--explain that it is not done nowadays and that you would be happy to help train the dog to repond to basic commands or volunteer to walk it regularly. Get to know them and over time you may make a difference in their thinking.
First, I don't know anyone in my neighborhood like that. Second, I am disabled and can't even walk my own dog - much less someone else's. And since I do have house dogs, I would never be in direct contact with a dog that may or may not have health issues and then bring them home to my own pets.

Again - just asking the people who keep their dog on a chain for an explanation. ArkLexee answered the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs