Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 03:55 PM

156 posts, read 318,633 times

Advertisements

Why is that Boo is ok with inside cats but not outside ones?

I don't have any other pets but I have friends who have inside cats. Boo is ok with them as long as they are ok with him. No problems at all. But let him see a cat outside and he is compelled to chase.

One friend has an inside cat but she let's the cat out in the backyard sometimes. When Boo sees this cat outside he chases it like he wasn't just ok with it when it was inside.

Is this strange or normal behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellimatt View Post
Why is that Boo is ok with inside cats but not outside ones?

I don't have any other pets but I have friends who have inside cats. Boo is ok with them as long as they are ok with him. No problems at all. But let him see a cat outside and he is compelled to chase.

One friend has an inside cat but she let's the cat out in the backyard sometimes. When Boo sees this cat outside he chases it like he wasn't just ok with it when it was inside.

Is this strange or normal behavior?
I really don't consider any animal behavior strange, as there is usually a very good reason...
That said, I would make a list of what exists (or doesn't exist) inside versus what exists (or doesn't exist) outside. Perhaps he chases the other cat when outside because he can...?
When cats are outside, I think that they revert back to a more natural state. For example, if a mouse were inside my home, I doubt my cat would chase it for the simple fact that this is not something that she normally does inside (normally, she sleeps, eats and ignores me ) But outside, she is a completely different cat--she hunts because a ready-made food source is not available; she is alert, always , to the slightest sound because she does not feel as safe (because, let's face it--she isn't); and when I call her, she always comes to me and is very affectionate (I'm not even going to pretend to understand that one!) Go figure. But I think that you see where I am going with this...
Suffice to say, your cat is not strange; it is only those of us who try to understand them--or who actually do--who are truly odd

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
I have two cats. My dogs see me interact with them. My dogs and cats will nuzzle each other. The cats will rub against them and show no fear. My dogs accept the cats are part of our "pack". Outside cats are not part of our pack, they probably also smell different just as every dog smells a little different from another one. If they see my dogs, they will run away in fear. My dogs then view them as potential prey just as they would a squirrel.

If an outside cat were to stand its ground and show no fear, my dogs would be much less interested in it. That's why running away from a hostile dog is usually not a good idea. The dog's prey instinct kicks in strong then.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM

177 posts, read 758,133 times
It's normal! Our two dogs live with our indoor cat, and don't give her any problems at all. (Well, puppy wants to play with her, but he'd never hurt her and is afraid of her when she hisses at him!) "Guest" indoor cats are no problem either, nor is taking our dogs to my mom's house. They'll leave her cat alone for the most part.

On walks, though, they'll try to chase outdoor cats. I think it must have something to do with the prey drive and not recognizing them as family members. I've wondered it about it too, but I don't think it's anything abnormal or weird.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:39 AM

990 posts, read 1,727,396 times
Dogs aren't stupid, they know which cats are part of the family and which ones are not,sometimes I don't trust my dogs if they are out front without me watching I'm not sure what they would do with one of our cats.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,726 times
The answer to your question, is that when outside, the natural prey drive of a grey or any hunter is increased exponentially. When inside the home, surrounded by the "pact" the cat is one of the gang. Once outside, outside the den, the cat is...something to satisfy 1000's of years of breeding, CHASE and CATCH!

You can have a grey and a siamese that live in the same house, sleep together, do everything together, and if outside the "den" the cat were to appear, it is likely (more than likely, probable) that the grey might try and chase the cat.

Never have a grey outside off a leash if not in your fenced backyard! If in your fenced backyard, make sure other pets (cats AND SMALL DOGS) dont come visit the yard whilst the grey is free getting his adrenaline going because of the freedom of being outside running!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs