Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
Chevy is 3 years old today!! My wife and I love him more and more every day! He's a great friend and companion to us!!

I hope that he can live a long a long and healthy life. No problems so far!
Happy birthday, Chevy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
What a little beauty!
My original puppies were border collie/corgi. They looked like squashed border collies. I'd love to have corgis someday, and happy birthday, Chevy!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 AM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
OP, Chevy is one great looking dog!

our family has been thinking about getting a corgi for quite some time. the one thing that gives us pause though is the shedding. some websites say that they are medium/moderate shedders (which we can deal with), but people i've talked to put them in the heavy shedding category.

i know that corgis blow their coat a couple of times a year, and when that happens hair will be everywhere. how about the rest of the time? i'd love to hear from anyone with first hand corgi experience. thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Mine seems to shed pretty steadily, with no seasonal pattern I can see.
It doesn't matter how often I brush him, more hair will keep coming out. He has slightly bushier hair than the average corgi (Pem) as his mother was a "fluffy." But the shedding never stops. I keep my house pretty cold too.

He eats a very good diet, he gets a bath every 1-2 months, but he's a hair machine. His butt alone produces enough surplus hair to make a whole other dog!

A couple years ago after I brushed him out on the deck, we later saw tufts of his hair in bird nests and squirrel nests in our trees!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
A house isn't a home without dog hair!
Yes, I've seen dog hair woven into the bird nests up under my eaves. In fact, I brush the dogs outside and throw it around for the birds.
I got my corgi/border collies a good shave once or twice a year. I don't remember tufts of fur, but since they were mutts, I don't know.
I don't worry about dog hair. I hire very nice Brazilian ladies to come in once a month and do the first floor. It's well worth it, with all these dogs.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 AM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A house isn't a home without dog hair!
Yes, I've seen dog hair woven into the bird nests up under my eaves. In fact, I brush the dogs outside and throw it around for the birds.
I got my corgi/border collies a good shave once or twice a year. I don't remember tufts of fur, but since they were mutts, I don't know.
I don't worry about dog hair. I hire very nice Brazilian ladies to come in once a month and do the first floor. It's well worth it, with all these dogs.
i don't worry about dog hair, but my wife sure does! if you're only cleaning the first floor once a month, i'm going to take a wild guess that you're a guy, and single LOL.

Thanks TracySam, your experience sounds consistent with what i've gathered.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Mine seems to shed pretty steadily, with no seasonal pattern I can see.
It doesn't matter how often I brush him, more hair will keep coming out. He has slightly bushier hair than the average corgi (Pem) as his mother was a "fluffy." But the shedding never stops. I keep my house pretty cold too.

He eats a very good diet, he gets a bath every 1-2 months, but he's a hair machine. His butt alone produces enough surplus hair to make a whole other dog!

A couple years ago after I brushed him out on the deck, we later saw tufts of his hair in bird nests and squirrel nests in our trees!
I concur! Corgis shed like there's no tomorrow,but it's worth it. If you have laminate floors, the dog hair will absolutely pile up in the corners. We have at least one dog hair on us always!! Invest in pet hair rollers for sure. We brush Chevy fairly regularly,but he's due for a grooming. The amount of hair that we sweep and vacuum up is unbelievable.

Thanks for the compliment Hal Jalikeakick! You should get a Corgi!! The only thing about Chevy that I wish was better is that he barks at the neighbors too much. They all really like him,and he likes them too. However, he barks like crazy when he sees them outside, or when someone or something walks by. Car doors slamming set him off too. The neighbors say he's just being a dog,but I wish he wouldn't do that. I do want him to alert us of intruders!!

This is minor stuff though. Corgis are extremely loyal and loving dogs! You can't just leave them out in the yard and forget them. They need and deserve lots of love and attention. You will get love and loyalty back ten-fold from them though.

I think I'm going to get up and sweep the floor now.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Yes, what I've learned is that they bark a lot. A lot. Shermyn voices his opinion on just about everything.

And they need a LOT of attention. It's not enough for him to just lie there and chew on a toy, I have to be involved and hold it and do tug-o-war or he's not satisfied.

Shermyn is very jealous too. Don't know if that's just him, or part of the breed. They are herders, so maybe he thinks I'm part of his flock and he owns me?

I love him, but he's quite the handful.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
I concur! Corgis shed like there's no tomorrow,but it's worth it. If you have laminate floors, the dog hair will absolutely pile up in the corners. We have at least one dog hair on us always!! Invest in pet hair rollers for sure. We brush Chevy fairly regularly,but he's due for a grooming. The amount of hair that we sweep and vacuum up is unbelievable.

Thanks for the compliment Hal Jalikeakick! You should get a Corgi!! The only thing about Chevy that I wish was better is that he barks at the neighbors too much. They all really like him,and he likes them too. However, he barks like crazy when he sees them outside, or when someone or something walks by. Car doors slamming set him off too. The neighbors say he's just being a dog,but I wish he wouldn't do that. I do want him to alert us of intruders!!

This is minor stuff though. Corgis are extremely loyal and loving dogs! You can't just leave them out in the yard and forget them. They need and deserve lots of love and attention. You will get love and loyalty back ten-fold from them though.

I think I'm going to get up and sweep the floor now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, what I've learned is that they bark a lot. A lot. Shermyn voices his opinion on just about everything.

And they need a LOT of attention. It's not enough for him to just lie there and chew on a toy, I have to be involved and hold it and do tug-o-war or he's not satisfied.

Shermyn is very jealous too. Don't know if that's just him, or part of the breed. They are herders, so maybe he thinks I'm part of his flock and he owns me?

I love him, but he's quite the handful.
Artie is part Corgi, probably. He inherited only the *bad* Corgi traits.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM

We already knew that Artie and Shermyn were probably separated at birth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs