Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,431,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Since I have ado0pted after my first 3 dogs, who overlapped each other, I can only tell you that I find a dog that needs a home and don't worry about the breed. Go to a rescue or shelter and see who you think is "the one." I'm sorry for your loss.
Ok, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,431,234 times
Wow, I am humbled by all of you who took the time to respond to my question. All of your responses were warm, understanding, and helpful. Thanks so much and God bless you all.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,984,724 times
I'm sorry for your loss.

I know when my pet leaves this world, I will get another like her.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,833,797 times
Absolutley, we are on our 3rd lab and as I mentioned before all have the lab traits but each thier own individual personality which makes them special.

I am truly sorry for your loss, it's not easy losing a part of the family. You'll know when the time is right to get another dog, it's a compliment to your previous dog.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times
I have a few friends with a favorite dog breed. They do know that every dog is unique in personality, however they like the general traits of a particular breed like size, smarts and colouration. One is into Norwegian Elkhounds and her dad used to breed them. Another is into Airdales. I myself am very fond of smallish terriers and their stubborn personalities, they are such characters!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,531,320 times
Sorry for the loss. Do not rush in and try replacing her right away, let things settle, keep memorial for her.
It is ok to get same breed if that is what like, but not all dogs are the same.
I would let son take lead, when he is ready for another dog, take him to a shelter if not care for registered animal and let him help decide on next pet. I have my bloodhounds and will not ever stop with them as once owned by a bloodhound never want for anything else.
Sometimes same breed coud be harder though as bring back memories and may hurt, but just like humans their memory always lives within our hearts.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
You have my sympathies in the loss of your dog.

When I was younger we had 3 dogs one was a 7 yr old Gordon Setter. One night he did not want to eat and acted like he hurt so my parents took him to the E-vet and they felt it was a disloacted spinal disk so told them to keep him quite over night and take him to the regular vet in The AM. Well in the AM he was dead. The vet did an autopsy for free because he himself was curious and my mom was one of the vets favorite people. Anyway it turned out he had a tumor on his spleen that had ruptured.

As for getting a new dog, that like grief itself is such an individual thing that all I can say is there is no wrong time or breed. What ever feels right to you and your family is the correct thing to do. I hate being without a dog so I tend to get new dogs before the old ones die but I am also good at letting go. Some people have a hard time letting go then get a new dog and compare it to the old one ( which once a pet is gone we tend to only remember the positive) then are upset the new dog does not yet live up to the ( memories of) old one and that is not fair to the dog. I think most kids do well with the loss and accepting a new dog .

Sending positive thoughts and warm hugs to you and your family. Jan

Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think it is fine if that is what you want. But the new dog is never the same as the old dog and it takes time for the bond to grow again. A friend told me that a new dog "gives you something to do." It fills the void. Over the years, the love grows.
Exactly.. Dogs like people are unique and have unique personalities. I am a lab man, Love the breed. That said I have never had any lab the same as the one before. I had 1 that was the Einstein of dogs loved to cuddle and do tricks.
One was a bit slow but loved to play non-stop and liked to try and adopt stray kittens.
Another my last lab and ultimatly my favorite was huge 100lbs. Easily trained but very possesive. Add to that she hated cats... If she caught one in our yard that would be a dead cat. This dog was loyal to the max... Very protective of my autistic daughter, too the point she would even growl at me if I yelled at her. This dog died from snake bite. (Copperhead) We were hiking and I sat down on a log. I didn't notice the snake underneath. Bailey did.... Long story short we were deep in the woods several miles. From there many miles to a vet. I lost the race. 5 years ago. I still can't find the heart to replace her. My point in all this is like kids every dog is lovable and unique.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM

57 posts, read 101,289 times
That was kinda why purebred dogs were developed. People liked their dog and wanted another one like it. But mostly do what feels right and don't expect the same breed to have identical personalities. Doesn't happen, they are all individuals, just like us.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM

549 posts, read 2,207,080 times
First of all, yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting another friend of the same breed. However, keep in mind, that they will not be the same...each has their own personalities, quirks, etc. I've thought of getting another Beagle (when I'm ready to take in another, still giving myself time to heal from the loss of Barnie) but then again, I probably won't...simply for the fact that I'd be trying to replace Barnie and that's not possible. Now if you're smitten with certain breeds...then go for it, but be aware of wanting to replace instead of expanding your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs