Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 PM

220 posts, read 988,541 times

Advertisements

How much did you pay for your English Bulldog? I know there are a million variables that effect price, but I am looking at general ball park estimates.

I've been looking at them for a while and I am not interested in a show quality dog, or future breeding. I would like to find a reputable, resonably priced breeder that sells simple dogs, without champion lineage and ribbons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:59 PM

603 posts, read 1,941,314 times
You should really look into a rescue.Theres WAY too many homeless pets to go out and "buy" one.There are many bulldog rescues.You CAN get a purebred PUPPY.Atleast look into it.Yes some of them do screen very well and they do charge a couple of hundred dollars but youd be dealing with the same thing if you went to a REPUTABLE breeder.Many people do not know what they can get from a rescue.Good luck.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,389,878 times
Most AKC registered English Bulldogs are around $2000. I have seen them a little lower but many higher.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,386,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Most AKC registered English Bulldogs are around $2000. I have seen them a little lower but many higher.
Expensive to maintain as well!

I'll take a mutt any old day. Affordable and hardy!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times
How familiar are you with the breed? Have you spent time with one before? They seem to have an interesting temperament. One woman I met was bitten by her boyfriend's English bulldog. The dog just didn't like her. After the second bite incident, they tried to offer the dog to a bulldog rescue but they didn't want her. Finally the dog was put to sleep.

Then there have been at least two episodes of The Dog Whisperer working with English bulldogs with issues. While those dogs may be the exception, you should watch those episodes and talk to some breeders about English bulldog breed characteristics and the best way to raise them.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post

I've been looking at them for a while and I am not interested in a show quality dog, or future breeding. I would like to find a reputable, resonably priced breeder that sells simple dogs, without champion lineage and ribbons.
"Reputable" breeders only have champion lineage and ribbons.. Reputable breeders breed to improve their lines, therefore try to only breed the very best of stock. Why would you want anything less?

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 04-25-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,507,724 times
If I were buying this breed [which, no way, sweet dogs but health issues] I would be spending the money to get one from real good lines with health screenings out the wazoo. Last time I looked the breed was #1 for having the most hip dysplasia.

Since they have to born by c-section you are already starting with an extra expense.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,841,161 times
One woman in my building shows and breeds champion bulldogs (the official name is bulldog, not English bulldog). She has lovely dogs and they have wonderful temperaments. HOWEVER, they have TONS of medical issues: eye problems, tail pocket infections - these are horrible, intolerance of any kind of hot weather, intolerance of really cold weather, bone problems.

Please do some research into the various breeds. Bulldogs are supposed to have friendly, happy temperaments, by the way. My neighbor had a dog she was planning to breed, but after it got snappy as the dog aged, she sent her back to the breeder because, as she said, 'That's not bulldog temperament and I won't breed that.'

Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,651,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
If I were buying this breed [which, no way, sweet dogs but health issues] I would be spending the money to get one from real good lines with health screenings out the wazoo. Last time I looked the breed was #1 for having the most hip dysplasia.

Since they have to born by c-section you are already starting with an extra expense.
I have to agree on that! I think this breed is so sweet and adorable but I want to make sure I get the most healthy I can get Storm had a super time playing with one at daycare last week The bulldog seems to have a "bulldog" way of playing

Old 04-25-2009, 12:53 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,237,547 times
I love my Porkchop more than anything in the world. He is 8 months old now, has an amazing temperament and gets along with all dogs, cats, kids, people, etc. We paid a lot for him (more than $2k) but he is worth every single penny. Our breeder is a show breeder and our dog hasn't had any genetic issues healthwise as of yet, while our friends who purchased theirs from pet stores are spending $1000s on various surgeries.

We've also luckily haven't had any heat related problems. It was almost 100 degrees here earlier this week, and he still played outside with his Bulldog friends. He has tons of energy and can run with the labs/goldens and keep up. Our breeder also made sure that his tail wouldn't be the corkscrew type, since those get infected, and he's never had issues with that either. Our neighbor's Bulldog had her corkscrew tail amputated after getting an infection.

And Bulldogs are not agressive. Any dog can be agressive depending on how they are raised. I saw 2 very agressive goldens at the dog park yesterday and that is a breed that is known for their amazing temperament! The person that owned them should have never gotten dogs. Research the breed and know that if you do get one, you'll have the sweetest, most amazing pup in the world. I can't imagine my life without PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs