Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times

Advertisements

I have two pups born within a week of each other. They rule. I exist to feed them and love them. I don't want to say they've ruined my house, but they have chewed up several areas of carpet and left markings everywhere. I'm finding it very hard to housebreak them, as I never know who is doing what.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
If you are dedicated to keeping them both, and I'm really hoping you are since you've made the initial commitment to them. Dogs are being dumped at crazy rates right now because of the economy. The thought of another one looking for a home is scary. So, if you are dedicated to training them......

I'd seperate them. Different rooms, and crate train. I pull dogs from kill shelters before they are euth'd and most of the time they are dogs that have been left to roam on their own. Never housebroken, no house manners, etc. They come in much worse off than a puppy. And I've never failed with crate training. NILIF is another excellent training tool.

If you're not dedicated to keeping them both, please look for a rescue that can take them. Dropping them in a shelter that euth's is nearly a death sentence these days. I know the ones in my area are looking at more than 85% euth rates.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
If you are dedicated to keeping them both, and I'm really hoping you are since you've made the initial commitment to them. Dogs are being dumped at crazy rates right now because of the economy. The thought of another one looking for a home is scary. So, if you are dedicated to training them......

I'd seperate them. Different rooms, and crate train. I pull dogs from kill shelters before they are euth'd and most of the time they are dogs that have been left to roam on their own. Never housebroken, no house manners, etc. They come in much worse off than a puppy. And I've never failed with crate training. NILIF is another excellent training tool.

If you're not dedicated to keeping them both, please look for a rescue that can take them. Dropping them in a shelter that euth's is nearly a death sentence these days. I know the ones in my area are looking at more than 85% euth rates.
OMG, no. They are both my babies and inseparable. I got them to be together. I would never dream up giving them up, as it's my fault for not being a more responsible Mom. I am just wondering how to deal with two pups who rule the house. I am willing to have them here until the end of their days, even if they do ruin everything. They are much more important than carpet...however, if I can get some tips I am happy. BTW, and just want to put this out there, my last baby was the light of my life. I spent 12K dollars over his death, and would have done more, if it were not hopeless. He was far too young to die, yet he was really and truly the light of my life. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
movin'on --

What about crating them while you work on the potty training? Sometimes when they are hyper active puppies, running around like crazy and chewing the place up, crating is the best answer until they get older. When you let them out, take them outside for lots of exercise or put them in a room where you can keep your eye on them.

When they are babies, they like to drink copious amounts of water and accidents happen. They don't have the bladder control of an older dog and when they are playing and having fun, they are like little kids who get carried away and just go wherever.

OMG, two puppies. What a handful.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
the best way to potty train the pups are to keep them in a limited area of the house. buy a x-pen or use a baby gate to keep them in a single area of the house when you are not there to watch them. two is very hard and takes lots of watching. take them out every 20 mins or less. do not free feed, pull up their food if they don't eat it all right away. also remove their water bowl after about 7 at night. there are severalgreat books out on the subject all of them say to keep the dogs in a special area until they are reliable. crate training is great. I used a combo method of the x-pen and the crate. I made sure the xpen was set up in an area where the dog could see me, which help lessen any seperation anxiety. good luck

Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 PM

149 posts, read 762,159 times
Tips!!!
1. Confine them to one room! Close doors to other rooms and buy a baby gate to put up if you need it. The best place is the kitchen, because messes are easiest to clean up.
2. Crate-train! Set up 2 crates in the kitchen or a room off of it, and get them used to spending time in there and sleeping in the crate as well. If they're really young, start out with one hour at a time and work up to several hours when they're older. If they fall asleep on the floor, pick them up and put them in the crate, because when they wake up they usually have to go out.
3. No food or water after 8pm! Cuts down on the messes in the evening.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
I've never done two at once, but here are two things that have worked for me. First, spend as much time as you can with them outside, giving them praise and treats when they perform. Second, when you go to bed at night, bring them into the bedroom and close the door. They won't wish to soil the area where they sleep, and will try to hold it in or let you know they need to go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs