Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,670,987 times

Advertisements

When our pets are suffering, they don't reflect on all the great days they have had before, or ponder what the future will bring. All they know is how they feel today. By considering this perspective, we can see the world more clearly through their eyes. And their eyes are what matter.

How to Know when It's Time to Euthanize Your Pet | Pets - Yahoo! Shine

Informative article, but I suppose it doesn't make the task of putting your best buddy to sleep any easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM

857 posts, read 2,224,073 times
I didn't read what the Vet said in this piece but I think it is a hard thing to know.

No we don't want our pets to suffer but pain meds help and I bet there are a lot of people who would say "hell no,you're not putting my lights out this is the only life I have"

As said very difficult decision.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:19 PM

819 posts, read 3,216,624 times
I know if I read that I will start crying. I'm sure it's a great article though.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,309,250 times
I didn't read it either but I think when it is that time, you know especially if you have ever had to do it before. It is never easy and I know in my case I want to be sure I have tried everything before saying goodbye.

I asked here and was told 'you will know' and you know what I did know

Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,326,112 times
I know that the article is not the easiest thing to read, but after reading it I can tell you that it is full of valuable information.

My husband drives truck cross country and was heading home late last July knowing full well the reason behind it; we had to say good bye to our Cleo. It was not easy, nor will any of the others we share our lives with, be they at our home or the ones I work with or our friends' pets. Having said that, my heart swelled and my tears started again when my husband thanked me for knowing when it was time so she no longer had to suffer.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I know that the article is not the easiest thing to read, but after reading it I can tell you that it is full of valuable information.

My husband drives truck cross country and was heading home late last July knowing full well the reason behind it; we had to say good bye to our Cleo. It was not easy, nor will any of the others we share our lives with, be they at our home or the ones I work with or our friends' pets. Having said that, my heart swelled and my tears started again when my husband thanked me for knowing when it was time so she no longer had to suffer.

So sorry for the loss of Cleo.
It is so great when animals are loved. I am sure you made the right decision.

Since my dogs are getting old,it is a hard subject to think about.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM

541 posts, read 1,149,105 times
I'm dealing this right now with my 15yo rat terrier, Bandit. He is the last of a tribe. He was one of 3 and he is the last of that "pack."

My vet said its like a 3 legged stool, when/if the pet stops eating, drinking or seeking affection, its time. Bandit prefers brunch instead of breakfast now cause he sleeps til noon almost everyday. I do wonder if his back legs will give out before any of the "3" happens. He's not in pain, just old and slow. His time is soon. He has a great story I will post when he crosses rainbow bridge.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Sounds as though Bandit has had a good life.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,594,208 times
I truly try to enjoy the time we have left with our older dog Ellie Mae, but when I look at her changing (hearing and eyesight) and slowing down, it is hard not to focus on losing her.
How I dread to think about when the day comes.

Ellie is our fifth dog and is the MOST SPECIAL dog of all the other four we've had. We've loved all of them, but we just feel different about her. (more in love with her?)

Does everyone have that "special" dog that is just an incredible part of your lives?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,326,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I truly try to enjoy the time we have left with our older dog Ellie Mae, but when I look at her changing (hearing and eyesight) and slowing down, it is hard not to focus on losing her.
How I dread to think about when the day comes.

Ellie is our fifth dog and is the MOST SPECIAL dog of all the other four we've had. We've loved all of them, but we just feel different about her. (more in love with her?)

Does everyone have that "special" dog that is just an incredible part of your lives?
Sorry for what you're having to go through, been there.

Yes, that is what we call a "heart dog". Not only was Cleo our heart dog, but a few of my clients dogs were as well. Not that I don't love my Tony & Carly, but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs