U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 44,034 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...
I have a 22 month old Mini Schnauzer, Maggie, who is sweet and feisty all at the same time. We've had her since she was 7.5 weeks. We love her to death. She is "talker" and quite interactive, knows plenty of commands, and always comes when we call her. Maggie is also well housebroken. Her only real fault is she pulls while walking, and that was my fault because I used a retractable collar. (We use a gentle leader now - great idea!) Sounds like the perfect little lady, right?

She tends to be a little dominant at times, nudges my hand for affection... but I notice it's not a two way street. Oh sure, she's a wiggle worm when i come home and if I'm lucky I'll get one little itty bitty kiss. While she'll often sit beside me while watching TV and always at my feet, she's not at all interested in sitting in my lap. I'll get little kisses on the hand from time to time, but that's about it as far as affection directed towards me goes.

She loves training time and learns quickly. She actually knows her toys by name and is learning to catch! But darn if I can teach her "give me a kiss", or "give me a hug" to save my soul! The best success I have in training is to get the dog to repeat actions she'll do on her own first, then reward.

Don't get me wrong, I find overly affectionate dogs a little annoying - well any obsessive behavior is annoying. But come on, can I get a little bit of love here?

Thanks
Cat
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 PM

5,499 posts, read 21,639,736 times
Next time she nudges your hand for affection, be aloof! Turn the tables!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 PM

17,824 posts, read 22,180,829 times
Just be thankful you don't own a mastiff. When they lick your face they cover your entire face with a single lick.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 PM

19,856 posts, read 62,839,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Just be thankful you don't own a mastiff. When they lick your face they cover your entire face with a single lick.
and drip all down your front!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM

16,542 posts, read 17,288,525 times
girl dogs seem to be a bit more independent. if you want her to give you licks reward her with treats when she does. if she is food motivated she will get the idea quick enough

Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
and drip all down your front!
It is almost as bad as being waterboarded!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:30 PM

177 posts, read 725,805 times
It's mostly a personality thing. MAYBE there's a chance that you can encourage affection if you start during the key development/socialization stages (9-16 weeks or so; estimates vary), but now that she's 22 months, her personality is basically set as is.

I don't think you can really train her to be something that she isn't at this point.

As a whole, male dogs are more "lovey" than females, as hothulamaui said above.

Just accept her for who she is.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM

177 posts, read 725,805 times
Oh, and I should add that most dogs do NOT like to be hugged. In dog body language and behaviors, the only time a dog has its front legs around another dog is either for mating or expressing mounting dominance. Most dogs are naturally a little uncomfortable with humans putting their arms around them because of this.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
Oh, and I should add that most dogs do NOT like to be hugged. In dog body language and behaviors, the only time a dog has its front legs around another dog is either for mating or expressing mounting dominance. Most dogs are naturally a little uncomfortable with humans putting their arms around them because of this.
I agree with your assessment. Of all the dogs I've owned, I have only had one that actually wanted to have my arms around her. She sits next to me on the couch, leans into me, and uses her head to lift my arm so that it is around her. Then she just lays her head on my shoulder and we watch TV together.

The only other contact my dogs prefer, besides being petted of course, is to lay their head on my lap. If I were to place my arms around them to give them a hug, they would act nervous and uncomfortable. So I don't, except for my Blizzard and only because she started it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM

68 posts, read 211,279 times
OMG sounds like you have a loving wonderful dog ........can't you just be satisfied with that ???????????????????? Why are people always looking for something more, more, more and more..............get a grip and love her AS SHE IS !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs