Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 AM
nem nem started this thread

14 posts, read 45,541 times

Advertisements

Dear everyone,
I would be very garteful if you share the commands hunting dogs must know (those special ones). In the net I failed to find much information, perhaps there are some resources though, in any case, I found only 3 obligatory ones - here, sit-whistle, hup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem View Post
Dear everyone,
I would be very garteful if you share the commands hunting dogs must know (those special ones). In the net I failed to find much information, perhaps there are some resources though, in any case, I found only 3 obligatory ones - here, sit-whistle, hup.
If you are training the dog yourself you can make the commands whatever you want- have your own personal language with your dog if it pleases you... might actually come in handy.

You're right, the dog must be able to sit (also means stay) and come to call. That's your foundation for everything. I'm not terribly familiar with "hup", I'm assuming that's a call for attention? Or a "marking" command?

The most important thing for me (that seems to be overlooked sometimes) is your "hunt" command. For example, you have a downed bird and a general mark but no precise location. You need to be able to take the dog downwind of the area and issue a "hunt" command, which is basically turning the dog loose from your direction and control and giving him the greenlight to find a downed target solely with his nose. That way you aren't tearing the foundation apart by trying to handle the dog onto a downed bird when you don't know where it is. There's no trust fostered doing that. I start training that by hiding some easily found bumpers in short cover with the dog kennelled or otherwise unable to see where I'm hiding them. Take him downwind and give him your command of choice (I use "hunt it up", have heard "hunt dead" or "dead bird"). If you're lucky, the dog gets it immediately. If you aren't lucky you need to move to a more fragrant target, like a dead pigeon. The training is actually very easy, it just takes a lot of repetition and positive reinforcement when he does it right. He has to believe you when you tell him there is a dead bird out there.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
I knew you'd come through on this one Jim!

One command, that an hunter passed on to me...and it works, obviously for other situations, is the command to immediately drop down and stay when told. His Golden tangled herself up in barbed wire and would have done some serious damage had she not known the command to down and stay (still). I have taught every single one of my dogs since then this command. Works great if they are leash free and running...car, kids who might be frightened, cat, etc.....And a thing of beauty to see a Golden in full head on run in a field and drop when told!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs