U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:57 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,417,316 times

Advertisements

I don't even know if bark collar is the proper name; but has anyone used one as a means to stop your dog from barking?
My cousin says she has and that it works but I have yet to do the dirty deed and buy one. My maltipoo seems to have a lot to say though and her constant barking is driving me and I feel sure my neighbors up the wall!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,001,000 times
It sounds like the "barking collar" is a shock collar. For the size of your dog, which I am presuming is a Malteese I would not recommend it. I have only seen these used in my experience on attack trained dogs and even then very sparingly.
There are many methods to stop a dog from barking continually, you just have to find the one that works for you.

Try the below link for ideas:

http://www.ehow.com/tips_70.html

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:20 AM

5,115 posts, read 17,243,983 times
Never in my life did I ever dream I would ever use a bark collar......... until Tony happened into our lives

I have a daysleeper neighbor and just prior to him moving in, my cousin and I were out back with the dogs at 7 one summer morning. When a three year old child opened the window and yelled "shut up dog", I knew I had a problem

I bought one that accelerates as he does, he's never reached the peak level and often when he's wearing his walking collar reduces his noise level.

Don't get me wrong, flat out middle of the day to early evening, he's allowed to communicate

Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 AM

402 posts, read 2,144,168 times
I agree, I am not sure there's one designed for that small of a dog, but I'll let you know my experience...
Cookie was a 70 lb lab mix...and LOVED to bark outside. I put the collar on her, and of course she barked once....and had the most puzzled look on her face! No screaming,showing of pain, or anything else. She barked one more time, just to test it, and never barked again! It was blissful!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:31 AM

thanks all! I did read the article suggested and was surprised to read there is something like this: Invest in a citronella no-bark collar, which is effective and not cruel; if your dog barks, the collar sprays a small amount of citronella, which dogs dislike.
Also I think for her size she must not be the "normal" maltipoo; as my neice has one that weighs maybe 3 pounds but mine weighs 12 pounds. I will resist buying one as long as I can but barking from anyone's dog,even my own unnerves me. I praise her when she's gone out and doesn't bark. I tell her "no barking now" when I let her out and if she does I go immediately to the door and say,"no barking-stop" and she will-until I walk away!! She's a dear and I love her to the max.................but I am getting to my wits end.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
I agree, I am not sure there's one designed for that small of a dog, but I'll let you know my experience...
Cookie was a 70 lb lab mix...and LOVED to bark outside. I put the collar on her, and of course she barked once....and had the most puzzled look on her face! No screaming,showing of pain, or anything else. She barked one more time, just to test it, and never barked again! It was blissful!
thanks, vetegnc; I was happy to read that Cookie didn't show any hint of pain. Glad it worked for you and more than likely I will have to break down and try one of the collars.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 AM

1,397 posts, read 7,451,405 times
Do you think if I dressed up one of those shock collars with some semiprecious stones etc I could fool my wife into wearing one ??

Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 AM

5,115 posts, read 17,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
thanks all! I did read the article suggested and was surprised to read there is something like this: Invest in a citronella no-bark collar, which is effective and not cruel; if your dog barks, the collar sprays a small amount of citronella, which dogs dislike.
[/b]
Personally, I steered clear of that one as the citronella can run out and they can then commence barking.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Do you think if I dressed up one of those shock collars with some semiprecious stones etc I could fool my wife into wearing one ??
bad boy! now sit! LOL.........if you do that and are still able to-do let us know the outcome

Old 04-07-2007, 10:27 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,001,000 times
I'd be very interested to know too

Nothern ... You seem like a wonderful pet owner and considerate neighbor. Taking the steps you already have with your Malt is a plus. Put off the shcok collar as an absolute last resort. Notice many of the people who use them have larger dogs.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs