Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,803,088 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I walked my dogs today and it was somewhat warm outside. Not oppressively warm or hot but warm.
One of my dogs gets hot easily I guess and two minutes into walking, he already has his tongue out and is huffing and puffing.
My other dog is just strolling along trying to make me go even faster.

On the way home, the boys are in the back seat with their tongues wagging and when we get home, they don't even make an effort to drink any water.

Do your dogs do this too?

They normally wait about 30 minutes to an hour to drink after a walk. Only once has my dog Spike, our older and bigger dog, drank immediately after a walk and this was AFTER I carried him home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,674,444 times
Some of my dogs are like that too. Some go right for the water, the others I think like to do a natural cool down first with their panting. My little Chihuahua is not even a big water drinker. I see him only go to the dish like twice a day. The heat affects dogs differently. Those with a so called double coat stay somewhat cooler in the sun or heat. Those with a shorter coat have less protection from the sun and feel the heat faster and more. Some people with double coated dogs do not know and think the opposite is correct and shave their dogs in the summer. They do not realize that they are doing more harm than good. My Mom did not know either and used to have her Pom shaved down in the summer.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Some of my dogs are like that too. Some go right for the water, the others I think like to do a natural cool down first with their panting. My little Chihuahua is not even a big water drinker. I see him only go to the dish like twice a day. The heat affects dogs differently. Those with a so called double coat stay somewhat cooler in the sun or heat. Those with a shorter coat have less protection from the sun and feel the heat faster and more. Some people with double coated dogs do not know and think the opposite is correct and shave their dogs in the summer. They do not realize that they are doing more harm than good. My Mom did not know either and used to have her Pom shaved down in the summer.
Thanks so much for this.
Last summer we got our Spikey shaved and while he looked good, I didn't realize we were doing harm.
It was nice to have less doggy hair on the bed but I don't want my baby roasting in the sun.

Our dogs drink from the bowl about 3 times a day. They love to go late at night right AFTER we let them in from outside for their last potty break.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,380,609 times
Unfortunately, Simon is very spoiled and has his own water cup that is filled with ice water when he is in the car. When we go for a walk, he will only drink out of that cup. He rarely drinks water out of his bowl; and while he likes cat food, he never drinks out of Lola's bowl.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Unfortunately, Simon is very spoiled and has his own water cup that is filled with ice water when he is in the car. When we go for a walk, he will only drink out of that cup. He rarely drinks water out of his bowl; and while he likes cat food, he never drinks out of Lola's bowl.
I read that ice cold water is bad for dogs.
My step dad sent me an article saying it does something to their stomach which causes them to throw up.
I did notice that whenever we did give our dogs ice cold water, my dog Spike would throw up that same day....

Old 05-19-2009, 03:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
Just be sure you don't have a very short-nosed dog like a pug or bulldog. Thise can get overheated very fast and suffer harmful consequences.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,966,521 times
Ice cold water can make a dog vomit.

And I second the caution for the brachycephalic breeds! I have a pug. He gets SHORT walks in the summer and A/C while I'm at work. Pugs DIE in the heat - and it can be less than 80 degrees that can be potentially fatal.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 PM

177 posts, read 758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Those with a so called double coat stay somewhat cooler in the sun or heat. Those with a shorter coat have less protection from the sun and feel the heat faster and more. Some people with double coated dogs do not know and think the opposite is correct and shave their dogs in the summer. They do not realize that they are doing more harm than good.
Right you are! I have a very fluffy double-coated Keeshond. I get to hear all the time about how hot he must be and asked if I shave him. No one believes that the hair insulates them! If you look at his skin, it is bright pink... could very easily burn in the sun.

He does seem to get very warm where we live, but we do our best to keep him cool and walk him during cooler times of the day.

In answer to the OP, I've never been around a dog who didn't immediately run to the waterbowl and go crazy. Maybe yours just have good manners?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,298,984 times
Yeah we will go for a walk and when we get back our dog just chills with us without getting water, even though he is panting like crazy. Sometimes I take him outside and stand there until he gets himself some water.. not sure why he doesn't rush to it and thirst his quench right away (like us humans!)

Old 05-19-2009, 04:47 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,380,609 times
I have never heard that ice water is bad for dogs and Simon has never had a problem. I will be on the lookout for any problems, but he expects to see ice in his cup. Usually the ice has melted when we go on a walk and get back to the car. Maybe that's why he hasn't been sick, but he always has a drink before we get out of the car to go on our walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs